Lookin for an AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    I have been pricing AR-15's for the past few months. I have looked at the Colt, DPMS, Olympic, and Bushmaster. The lowest price I have found on a new Olympic was $889. I am still shopping around. Does anyone think I could find a better deal or should I go with this one? I am working on a budget but don't want to waste $800 on a cheap rifle, when I could have a quality gun for just a $100 more.

Any advice?

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Personally, I'd stay very far away from Olympic. You can find Colt 6920s all day for around $1200, and S&W MP15 for around $1000.

What kind of setup are you looking for?
    http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23199

Right now, I am just looking for a stock AR-15. No accessories except for a three position stock. Like I said I am working on a budget and trying to stay under $1000. I just dont want to buy a $900 POS when I could have gotten a quality rifle for $100 more.

By the way, I was talking to a guy at Jim's. He said basically all the AR's have the same parts, just different names stamped on them. Was he truthful or just trying to sell me?

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Right now, I am just looking for a stock AR-15. No accessories except for a three position stock. Like I said I am working on a budget and trying to stay under $1000. I just dont want to buy a $900 POS when I could have gotten a quality rifle for $100 more.

By the way, I was talking to a guy at Jim's. He said basically all the AR's have the same parts, just different names stamped on them. Was he truthful or just trying to sell me?

Truthful in part. There are different tiers of manufacturers. Oly is junk. DPMS isn't bad, but I think there are better options available for the same money. You can hold the different tiers next to one another and the differences are usually pretty apparent.

Shoot some PMs to the site sponsors, they will hook you up.

In the $1000 price range, an M&P is hard to beat.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I've put about 500 rounds through an Olympic Arms in one day without any problems.

I'm sure most AR "brands" are decent, but regular cleaning, etc,, have to make a difference as well,

just my thoughts.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    I have been pricing AR-15's for the past few months. I have looked at the Colt, DPMS, Olympic, and Bushmaster. The lowest price I have found on a new Olympic was $889. I am still shopping around. Does anyone think I could find a better deal or should I go with this one? I am working on a budget but don't want to waste $800 on a cheap rifle, when I could have a quality gun for just a $100 more.

Any advice?

You could always go for this one, though I think if you hold out long enough you might find one cheaper:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23677

Then agin there is a High Standard on here for $650. I don't know anything about there rifles, but my dad had one of their pistols and it was very good.

Last edited:

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Rock River Armory AR-15's are great guns and can be had for 850 to 950. Roommate just picked one up at Precision I think for about 900. Dont think it had a rear sight though.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    my agency issues High Standard AR's, I choose to carry a personally owned RRA though. The High Standards actually seem to be performing well through our 2 and 3 day patrol rifle schools. The first go round a few of them had the gas key bolts back out, so they were all restaked. Since then (which is a common problem through many brands it seems) they've ran fine. Hell my RRA broke in the class on day 1 (freak problem which was rectified quickly by RRA)

Jon

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 13, 2006
    BR "City of Central"
    Last edited:

Jon

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 13, 2006
    BR "City of Central"

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA

Click on specs at the bottom of the spreadsheet and you can compare the features that you may need or want.

BTW Jims had complete LMT rifles with sopmod stock for $1250 a while back.

Last edited:

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    We have a sponsor selling complete lowers for $300 and there is a deal on uppers from JSE for $375. So you could do it yourself for $675.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Go check out La. Gun on Old Jefferson. They have a few RR and Delton/RR rifles in stock. Or give them a call @ 291-2942

Beauxdog :)

MrLefty

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Gonzales, LA
    I'm glad to hear you say your willing to spend a little more to get a quality rifle. If I were buying today it would be a Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT, or Colt LE6920. All of these guns are built with better barrel steel, properly inspected(MPI/HP)bolts, and barrels, staked carrier keys, castle nuts, etc.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bi...lates/FullNav/SearchResult.html&category=BCOM

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bi...te=PDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html

+1.

The Daniel Defense rifles are a good value. I personally own an LMT 14.5", and plan to add a BCM midlength to my collection soon enough.

Top Bottom