Looking at getting into casting own bullets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ivan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    I'm looking at getting into casting my own lead projectiles and then coating with either pc or hi tek. Mainly 9mm and .45acp. I've got the smelting pot and furnace along with ingot moulds. Basically my questions are on the lead. What lead besides wheel weights would I need? How to make the lead good for auto style pistols. I've been told that pure wheel weights are too soft and need tin or antimony to make the lead harder. How do I know what amount of this or that to mix in? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sneakybuffalo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2014
    United States
    If you are coating your bullets, then hardness doesn't matter as much. And water dropped wheel weights are fine for rifles let alone pistols. Dunno who told you that. And tin doesn't add hardness.

Fortunecookie45LC is a great YouTube channel for casting.

There was someone selling a ton of lead on here last week. I think it was range scrap already cast into bars.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Not all wheel weight metal is the same composition. Most of the stick-on weights are pure lead or nearly pure with a Brinell hardness of about 6. Clip-on weights have some antimony, arsenic, and a very small amount of tin. BH on these is about 12 which is plenty hard for the 45 acp for sure. Adding Tin will do little to harden your alloy but will help the metal "flow" and will fill the mold better. I would think that if you powder coat that wheel weight lead will do all you need it to do. Many uninformed people will tell you that you need "hard cast" for handguns to prevent lead buildup in the barrel. The truth is that the bullet must fit the chamber and barrel correctly to prevent lead buildup. Also you need to know that not all wheel weights are made of lead. An increasing amount of weights are made of iron and zinc and even some that are polymer. You do not want to get zinc weights melted into your mix. Also, water dropping your bullets won't help if you then bake on the powder coat.

Last edited:

Sneakybuffalo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2014
    United States
    You can water drop after PCng but shouldn't be necessary.

Like you said, proper sizing to fit the barrel + pc should be all that's necessary.

Do you have your own range you'll be shooting at OP, or using a public range?

If private, I'd highly suggest creating a bullet trap. That way you can find some good quality lead and just reuse it over and over again.

Ivan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Church Point, la
    Good info, thank you. Been watching a few videos from fortune cookie. I have my own range, and have been collecting and saving the bullets. We've melted a lot of them into ingots, just do not have a lot of lead to reproduce anything of quantity yet. Reason asking about wheel weights.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I cast a few for myself and the wife. 38/357

Attachments

• zombie rounds 003 (1024x683).jpg
      zombie rounds 003 (1024x683).jpg
      92.8 KB · Views: 86

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I haven't cast bullets in 25 years. As long as GAT Bullets sells 200 grain 40 cal bullets for $70 a thousand, I won't start back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom