Looking at new rifles for hog hunting.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    A friend of mine has a slight problem that he has invited us to help him with. We are probably going in the next few weeks for a weekend hunt. I currently have an Franken-AR 5.56, but I am looking for an all around hunting rifle. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the CZ 550. I like the idea of a detachable magazine, and I definitely want a wood stock. I would appreciate any other suggestions.

Magnetic

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    458 Socom upper. :)

I love my Browning 7mm WSM X-bolt. Wood stock and detachable magazine. Tikka is a good rifle but are long actions for short action calibers. If going with a long action caliber, I would consider one on par with both the CZ and X-bolt. Get the one that feels best in your hands.

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    It's hard to beat a Tikka T3 for a good exclusive hunting rifle.
    +1.

I had never been a big hunter... but my soon-to-be father-in-law is and wanted me to go hunting... I didn't want to show up with a custom bolt gun or an ar-15, so I picked up a Tikka T3 Hunter in 30-06.

Wood stock, detachable mag, smooth action and it's easily sub-moa... can't ask for anything more from a production rifle!

mudgrip92

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    destrehan la
    Shot on 3-28-13 with remington 7400 in 270 Cal I got 25 years ago on my fifteenth birthday. Never had the first hickup with it and every hog or deer has always dropped. I use semi auto only,but I don't hog hunt out of a stand. Although sometimes in a ground blind ,but mostly on foot. I personally would base my rifle choice on my conditions like open area for long shot ,confined area ,on foot ,in stand over a feeder ect ,ect. Heck if I'm going to be in thick brush I bring my shotgun with 3 1/2 Buck. Also a good side iron for backup (ya never know when you may need it)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366029151081.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1366029151081.jpg
      112.5 KB · Views: 99

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    +1
    I absolutely love them.
    I have one in .300 WSM that is my favorite rifle to date and I have a LR .308 that has twice the money in it.
    You have several options, blue with black stock (synt. stock) stainless with black stock or blued with wood stock.

tas745

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Central, Louisiana
    +1
    I absolutely love them.
    I have one in .300 WSM that is my favorite rifle to date and I have a LR .308 that has twice the money in it.
    You have several options, blue with black stock (synt. stock) stainless with black stock or blued with wood stock.
    +2 TIKKA T3 270WSM I love mine

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.

I'm always excited when someone calls wanting a Tikka. It's a lot of bang for the buck. Lightweight, well balanced, and accurate.

If you are looking for an awesome short range hog bush gun I've got a brand new Henry .45-70 lever that comes from the factory with XS peep sights. Easily my favorite gun in stock right now.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Since you want an all-around hunting rifle, any popular deer caliber will work fine for you IMHO.

(I sure like a good Browning BAR. :D)

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I really like the idea of getting a Tikka T3, and been having it on the back of my mind for a couple years. However, I haven't dug /very/ hard, but is the "TAC" / Tactical model the only one that comes with a threaded barrel? I assume the barrel removes easy enough if I wanted to thread a different barrel, but it's convenient when it just comes that way from the factory.

Top Bottom