Looking for a 1000 yd. range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gr460

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Covington, LA
    Does anyone know of a 1000 yd. range in the south Louisiana area? I just spent 2 days at Rifles Only, and I am hooked...real bad. Thanks.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    No commercial 1000-yd ranges in south LA. Private land, maybe, but nothing commercial. Long Range Alley south of Shreveport is probably the closest, although there is one near Pascagoula, MS that might be closer depending on where you live.

Fuselier in Arnaudville is talking about doing one, but nothing's happened yet.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Fuselier's 1,000-yard range is probably a long ways off, unfortunately. Based on what I learned at the annual meeting, it will require considerable expenditure and, if and when it happens, will function as a range within the range with separate membership at additional cost. It is not something that the average member probably cares much about. Reportedly discussions have taken place with the National Guard who may be willing to do some of the dirtwork required for the cost of diesel and expenses.

As it was explained to me, the present layout of the range is part of the problem. The present rifle layout (100 yds. to 300 yds.) resulted from the the desire to get something going as soon as possible for membership when the range was first established. But the present layout make it more difficult and expensive to obtain 1,000 yds.

bigsampson

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If anyone has any alternatives to get some long range practice in, I would be interrested in options as well.
    Be nice to have a 100o yard range within reasonable distance of Baton Rouge.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    If I may ask, why shoot 1,000 yards? Is it the challenge that makes it fun? Is it necessary for long range hunting? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or critical, just simply curious.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm new at this, only about 80 rounds sent down range at 600 yards, its a challenge. If your shooting at a 1 moa target thats a 10" circle, the trajectory of the bullet rises and falls around 30', can be blown by the wind that much, you have to make the wind call and then do everything else perfect

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You might want to look at the palo Alto Range just outside of Donaldsonville. They have a 600 yd range. It is a members only range for practice but they hold long range rifle competion on a regular schedule. This should take you to their web site. "www.paloaltogunclub.com"

Have a Great New Year

Beauxdog :)

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    If you wait until after Feb. I could bring you to my lease on Lake Verret. Not a range, but there is places you could shoot over 1000 yards

lineofdeparture

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    New Roads
    Does anyone know of a 1000 yd. range in the south Louisiana area? I just spent 2 days at Rifles Only, and I am hooked...real bad. Thanks.
    I too am looking for one close. Waiting on Fuselier complex to get thier stuff together, but i feels so far out. But I am in for the cause. IF anyone else has some other info, anything would be great.

misterbeefy

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 12, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm so glad somebody posted this! Hell, I'd like to find something that had at least 500 yards CLOSE to Baton Rouge! (Not Donaldsonville either!) Anything like that around Denham Springs? I need to site in my new rifles!
    If not, we need to all pitch in (us local to BR area) and purchase some land in Livingston Parish and open one up! Who's game? :chuckles:

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La

There is a gun club in Lake Charles with a thousand yard range. I don't remember the name of the club. I don't know the member ship requirements. But with a little online searching you should be able to find out more.

markwofford

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I too would HIGHLY like to have a 1000 yard/ m range available that is close to Baton Rouge. I would certainly be willing to pay my share for a lease and/ or membership. I might even be willing to invest in the purchase/ development of such a facility.

Mark

Last edited:

buzzworm

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Picayune Ms.
    You can check at pascagouladcm.com to see if their 1000yds is up. I dropped my membership 2 or 3 years ago, and at that time the 1000 yd range was still closed due to Catrina damage on the burm. They were rebuilding the 600 burms at that time, and were using part of them.

Top Bottom