Looking for a 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kimber, Springfield, Colt

• Kimber Ultra Carry II

Votes: 11 30.6%
    • Springfield EMP

Votes: 8 22.2%
    • Colt Defender

Votes: 7 19.4%
    • Other Please Specify

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

ram03reg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Ok so I am looking for a 1911 style pistol. I want to be able to use it for CC so it dosent just sit in my night stand. I went to Jim's and looked around. I want yall's opinion on what would be a good CC 1911 I already have a S&W M&P .40c that I love but I just want another gun. I am trying to keep it around or below $1000. I don't really want another polymer pistol b/c i wouldn't have much use for it

The 1911 style is new to me so any input is appreciated:

Here are the 3 that I think I have boiled it down to so let me know what yall think and if there are any others you would suggest.

I found a Kimber on their website for msrp $888 the Ultra Carry II
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/ultra_carry_II/

Also the Springfield EMP
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=24

And the Colt Defender
    http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/Defender.asp

There was another colt that i saw at Jim's it didn't have sights but I don't remember what the name of it was.

Any suggestions is appreciated

Jordan

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I was told that STIs are good, I think that the STI Trojan is right around 1k, they had one at Jims as well

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Louisiana Gun and Reloading is a certified STI dealer so you might want to check the prices there before purchasing. That being said a friend of mine who shoots competitively very well has a Dan Wesson that he loves. You did an action job on it using the factory parts and you'd swear it was a fifteen hundred dollar firearm. But the STI's are great handguns that used in competition regularly. So their carry models are great as well from what I've heard.

I'm biased as hell in favor of Colt though.

Dave

ram03reg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    the Dan Wesson looks like a great gun but may be a little to big for me to feel comfortable carrying. I usually carry with jeans and a t-shirt so the 3-3.5 in barrel is what i think that i am looking for..and the lighter the better

ram03reg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    STI, there not shot in compation so much because of looks, its because they work!!

They look nice but a couple hundred dollars out of my price range..im on a college budget and im pushing it with $1000

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I agree with your desire to own a 1911, I love them. One word of advice from experience, moving down from a 5" barrel to a 3" requires a LARGE adjustment. I am about 1,000 rounds into a 3" .45 and only now feel comfortable with it as a carry gun. I expected recoil to be the issue but it was actually finding a good grip that stymied me. So save some money for range rounds!

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I own a Colt Defender. Never had any problems with it. For a 3" barreled 22.5 oz 1911 pistol it is a pleasure to shoot and accurate. It comes from the factory tricked out and is GTG as is. The prancing pony on the slide helps to keep it's value up.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Ok Ok, maybe my post was off topic of the 1911 thread, I am not trying to crash it.

If you want a 1911 for CCW ask yourself a few questions..

Have I carried this pistol before for an extended period of time?
    How much time training do I have behind this pistol?
    Will it function 99.999999-10000% of the time?
    Will you put your life and or others on its function/your marksmanship?
    If a gunfight ensues, will you have ammunition to defend yourself/clear a malfunction properly?

While most 1911's are great beautiful pieces of machinary, I personally only know a few folks who carry them for CCW. Unless your going to put alot of time behind those sights, there is several steps to putting that firearm into a fight.

If you dont like Glocks, and want something differant, then the HK P7 next on my carry array.

Try a few guns out, with holsters, think of training/ammo cost. But if you got it like that. Do as you wish.

Top Bottom