Looking for a 30/06 for my 11 year old

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I'm trying to decide what would be a good rifle for him. I want a bolt action that later could be upgraded with a aftermarket stock. He wants a bi pod and adjustable cheek riser. Is the 700 platform my best choice? Maybe a Ruger all American? I just don't know what way to go. I've seen aluminum stocks with pistol grips and m4 style but stocks. Any advice?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Ian is 5'10. weighs 215lbs. He has shot my 91/30, 8mm, 303 and such. He is just wanting his own bolt gun. I figured the 06 would be a good platform that he could change and add to as he see's fit.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    700 is a wonderful gun, the ruger American and savage axis would also be good choices. As long as he can handle it 30-06 is a great choice IMO because theres always ammo on the shelf.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    What price range on a used 700? Im seeing 300 to 700. Ive read to saty away from the ADL. Is one 700 better than another?

All 700's are pretty much the same with the exception of the stock. All an ADL means is that it has no floor plate on the bottom of the stock to empty the magazine, but you can change that with a BDL stock and conversion kit. Get the cheapest 700 you can find with a good crown on the barrel and put the rest of the money into a good aftermarket stock, mounts and your optics.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    He was on steroids for years due to allergy problems and such. he was on PREDNISONE TABLETS . Those meds are bad news.

I can attest he is big enough for a 30/06. Saw him when we met up for that sale once. And yes Prednisone is some bad stuff if used in the long term. I have seen people gain a ton of weight taking it.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    My 7 year old shoots a .30-06 with the Hornady custom lite ammo. Recoil like a .243 with a 125 grain bullet.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    I would think it better to get a 243 for now so he could enjoy the rifle more when fireing. I hope he has many more years to work up to using a 06 on a regular basis.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Managed recoil/custom lite ammo . Look it up. Research the reviews.

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    All 700's are pretty much the same with the exception of the stock. All an ADL means is that it has no floor plate on the bottom of the stock to empty the magazine, but you can change that with a BDL stock and conversion kit. Get the cheapest 700 you can find with a good crown on the barrel and put the rest of the money into a good aftermarket stock, mounts and your optics.

The bdl stock would be somewhat less etc since it is one part that coule malfunction not to mention that it somewhat weakens the stock correct?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    The bdl stock would be somewhat less etc since it is one part that coule malfunction not to mention that it somewhat weakens the stock correct?

If someone is worried about strength in a stock they're an idiot to compare an ADL to a BDL. Stock material and construction is what determines strength much more so than that little strip of plastic/solid wood on the bottom. An ADL plastic stock may be slightly less prone to flexing than a BDL plastic stock under the action, but they are both still crap compared to a BDL wood stock. Same goes for an ADL wood stock in comparison to a BDL laminate stock.....and then a fiberglass stock......and then a composite stock such as a Manners or McMillan.

I also am gathering by "malfunction" you mean that someone who doesn't handle rifles very often could accidentally hit the button in the trigger guard and release the floor plate. Yes...it could happen. However, to compare two stocks of the same material, brand, and inlet by the same manufacture to each other, generally the BDL inlet will be worth more on the used market because they are more desirable.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    I'm trying to decide what would be a good rifle for him. I want a bolt action that later could be upgraded with a aftermarket stock. He wants a bi pod and adjustable cheek riser. Is the 700 platform my best choice? Maybe a Ruger all American? I just don't know what way to go. I've seen aluminum stocks with pistol grips and m4 style but stocks. Any advice?

Yeah, I got advice....no .30-06. Recoil too high for someone that age/stature. If you are set on a .30 caliber, but want most of the capability go for a .308Win.
    But really I'd advise the .243Win. A very versatile cartridge, useful for varmint to deer and hogs.
    As for the gun, and you won't need an aftermarket stock, the Ruger American, Compact model if he is small, Standard if you think he'll soon grow into a full length gun.
    I own two Americans, and have found them very accurate and reliable. And a great buy at under $400. Got mine for $360 and $380.

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    i am with the rest of the crowd. Although my son was not 215lbs he was big at 9 and i broke out an old 20 gauge crack barrel for him to try. I forgot it kicked like a mule. He shot it once and said he did not like shooting. he could have said he was gay and I would have been about equally as crushed (he is not). We went to 22s. Point being he is a kid and first impressions are lasting during those years. If your set on the 06; buy one with a muzzle break. If not there are plenty of great lessor calibers to choose. 243 7mm 08 308 all great choices. As a side note I kind of wish my son did not like shooting so much….it is a costly day at the range when we go.

for mfgs. i think savage makes about the best value in a gun. I like the line up from the axis. I do like the browning abolts' as stock hunting guns. Stay away from the mossberg. I have seen qc problems with several at the range.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    If someone is worried about strength in a stock they're an idiot to compare an ADL to a BDL. Stock material and construction is what determines strength much more so than that little strip of plastic/solid wood on the bottom. An ADL plastic stock may be slightly less prone to flexing than a BDL plastic stock under the action, but they are both still crap compared to a BDL wood stock. Same goes for an ADL wood stock in comparison to a BDL laminate stock.....and then a fiberglass stock......and then a composite stock such as a Manners or McMillan.

I also am gathering by "malfunction" you mean that someone who doesn't handle rifles very often could accidentally hit the button in the trigger guard and release the floor plate. Yes...it could happen. However, to compare two stocks of the same material, brand, and inlet by the same manufacture to each other, generally the BDL inlet will be worth more on the used market because they are more desirable.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=799630

post #8

As far as malfunction I was thinking along the lines of it being an easily stressed stock. I didn't thinking about it from a materials standpoint i.e. wood vs plastic I was thinking more along the line of it having less material making it less ridgid/weaker due to lack of material.

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    I think yall were missing the point of my question. I am going to get him a 06. Thats not the issue. I was wondering what was the best bang for the buck. He has shot all of my milsurps, ar's, and my BAR 30/06. He can handle the recoil. My question was about what platform. After a few pm's I have deceided to buy him a new 700 SPS Thanks guys

Top Bottom