Looking for a decent .338 Lapua...... comments?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaBoodro

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge La
    Im after a decent .338 looking for feed back about a good rifle for the price thats decent at the range. Id like a balance between price and accuracy.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    Check out the Savage 110 BA. Nice gun right in your price range. But you have to also consider the glass you will be putting on this rifle. To get good glass that will combat all the issues you will have shooting that far it will most likely rival the price of the gun itself. Cheap and 338 Lapua / long range shooting dont go together very well.

LaBoodro

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge La
    I never said cheap. I have a VX3L looking for a new rifle to sit on. 2500 is for the rifle only. I can go higher, but if there is a rifle out there capable of what i want with out that, id like to know in advance. Ive looked at the savage, remington, and armalite, but if they won't do what i want, do i need to spend 6k+ and go with barrett or mcmillian?

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Under 2500, but still capable of hitting the target at 1000 to 1500 yds repeatedly:draw:

.338 at a grand is boring. if onlu shooting a grand, think about 6.5 creedmoor or if you prefer a big bang, .300 winmag

I never said cheap. I have a VX3L looking for a new rifle to sit on. 2500 is for the rifle only. I can go higher, but if there is a rifle out there capable of what i want with out that, id like to know in advance. Ive looked at the savage, remington, and armalite, but if they won't do what i want, do i need to spend 6k+ and go with barrett or mcmillian?

I'd be looking at a savage in your price range. If you are stepping up, i would probably leave the barrett off the list. I'd go custom with a nice action and barrel.

All in all, i would go into interstate, if you have the time. Those guys deal with more high end rigs that any other retail gun shop that ive gone into.

Last edited:

big boo

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Interstate Guns is the ONLY place you should go! Chris Schiff and the guys there are the most knowledgeable in the south Louisiana area.

NOShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2014
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the advice NOshooter.

Anytime.

.338 lapua is like, all the rage, but I would think about what it is going to cost you to scope and feed the thing. I'd also think about how difficult it is to stretch the round's proverbial legs in Louisiana. I got rid of my TRG and m107a1 for exactly these reasons.

I get out to a serious (1500 yards +) long range once, maybe twice a year. With hand loads, you can be accurate enough to ring steel at a mile with a good success rate, if you do your job.

If you are pushing out over a mile, .338lapua is probably the cheaper of the available calibers.

I want a DTA .375 cheytac rig but i don't want to have 10 grand sunk into a rifle that i shoot once a year. I shot one at 2500 yards and it was awesome. What is not awesome is pretty much having to go to the dakotas to shoot that far without buying a TON of property yourself.

Interstate Guns is the ONLY place you should go! Chris Schiff and the guys there are the most knowledgeable in the south Louisiana area.

Even when i stop in there, with no intention of buying something, chris always takes the time to chat, engage and offer some really great info on glass and different rifles.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom