looking for a good camp ground

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    Campsites are improved not primitive. You pull your car right into the campsite. Make sure you camp in the south loop and pick a site on the outside of the camp road backing up to the woods. I like sites 20 and 24. They seem to be a bit larger and quieter than others. Chicot used to be my favorite LA SP until i discovered Bogue Chitto SP.

Packed up the HOG and went last year Mojo Rider is right. Camped there again another time in motorhome, it was nice also. It will be worth the trip. There is a 15 mile hiking trail also.

Haven't been to Tickfaw yet.

Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    I did call Chicot and the said it is 7 bucks for primitive camping but you hike in. $1 per person per night plus reservation fee of $6. I ended up making a reservation for site 72. Looks like it is end of the road kinda. Closer to water as well. We will see what happens. If it sucks I'll ask to move to 20 or 24 they look larger on the map as well. 72 looks a little close to the others but the staff said they were not expecting a lot of people this weekend. Bringing the canoe maybe not sure of I want to mess with that yet though. I'll let y'all know about the experience when I return. Oh and I don't plan on stargazing so no updates on andromeda 65 or the little dipper. Sorry guys.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I did call Chicot and the said it is 7 bucks for primitive camping but you hike in. $1 per person per night plus reservation fee of $6. I ended up making a reservation for site 72. Looks like it is end of the road kinda. Closer to water as well. We will see what happens. If it sucks I'll ask to move to 20 or 24 they look larger on the map as well. 72 looks a little close to the others but the staff said they were not expecting a lot of people this weekend. Bringing the canoe maybe not sure of I want to mess with that yet though. I'll let y'all know about the experience when I return. Oh and I don't plan on stargazing so no updates on andromeda 65 or the little dipper. Sorry guys.

When the weather is nice Chicot gets really crowded. On a Friday and Saturday night the south loop camping area looks and sounds like the tailgating party outside of Tiger stadium. This weekend might not be so bad though. I recommend arriving as early as you can and driving around to check out the campsites. If you're not happy with site 72 you can always move to another site so long as its not been already reserved. As you can see on the site map most of the sites are right on top of each other with no trees separating you from your potentially unpleasant neighbors. Sites 20, 24, 26 and a few others are nestled up in the woods and afford a little bit more privacy. Be warned! Chicot has a large and highly evovled band of racoons that swarm your campsite as soon as night falls. They have opposable thumbs and know how to use them. They laugh at zippers and bungee cords so you'll need to keep your ice chests in your car at night. They love fig newtons and bananas so bring plenty. They're very used to people and will climb up in your lap and eat right out of your hand. Weather permitting this weekend i'm headin back to Bogue Chitto SP for some mountain biking. Have a good weekend!

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Funny you mention that about the racoons at chicot, they got me once. I had a 120 quart ice chest with all our stuff for a 3 or 4 night trip (5 adults and my son, brought the inlaws with me) when we had the popup. Got up the next morning to get started on out breakfast and the coons had cleaned me out! All we had left was what eggs they hadnt broken and partial loaves of chewed bread. 4 pounds of bacon, several packs of lunch meat and I dont remember what else were gone. We did find the bacon wrappers maybe 100' away.

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I spent a couple of nights at chicot last year, Its a dead park now no fish no animals, I grew up at Chicot, the la wildlife and fisheries people killed all the wild life, they were told that the bass fishermen wanted a trophy lake but WLF had to kill off the water lillies, so they poisoned the water lillies but they also drained the lake at the same time, this consentrated the Lillie posion and it killed all the wildlife, and its all true...just go and check it out for yourself...
    Funny you mention that about the racoons at chicot, they got me once. I had a 120 quart ice chest with all our stuff for a 3 or 4 night trip (5 adults and my son, brought the inlaws with me) when we had the popup. Got up the next morning to get started on out breakfast and the coons had cleaned me out! All we had left was what eggs they hadnt broken and partial loaves of chewed bread. 4 pounds of bacon, several packs of lunch meat and I dont remember what else were gone. We did find the bacon wrappers maybe 100' away.

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I hate Bass fishermen.Its only money to them, and nothing else...
    I spent a couple of nights at chicot last year, Its a dead park now no fish no animals, I grew up at Chicot, the la wildlife and fisheries people killed all the wild life, they were told that the bass fishermen wanted a trophy lake but WLF had to kill off the water lillies, so they poisoned the water lillies but they also drained the lake at the same time, this consentrated the Lillie posion and it killed all the wildlife, and its all true...just go and check it out for yourself...

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    SECRET SPOT - Clear Springs Campground is a CCC park in the Homochitto Nat Forest. It is a small campground with lots of hiking trails. There are no more than 25 campsites, and they're all about 100' from eachother. There are also mountain biking trails there + a primitive area. It's first come first served, but usually isn't crowded at all unless it's hunting season. The CG is very hilly with lots of tight curves, so most big RVs stay out. I kinda like it that way. These days, it seems like too many RV's are being used as mobile bar rooms.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/homocmp.htm#clear springs

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Nope. THis one was truly abandoned. It had about 10 concrete picnic tables in poor condition. BUT it didn't flood and was good for cold weather trips. I haven't been there in probably 15 years though.

Thebanker

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Baton Rouge/Denham
    me and the family just did some primitive/backpacking camping at chicot state park, it was a nice site surrounded by water. The price was $1 per person, per night, and a $6 dollar fee. They are first come, first serve.

Hashler

Weekend Warrior
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Denham Springs
    Chicot was great this past weekend. A little rain on Saturday but not a gulley washer. Real nice, saw a handful of doe and two younger spikes. Everyone was nice, some kids brought some BBQ pork over and lunch the next day. You can't ask for better people. Will definitely return during off season, it's nice with very few neighbors. Lake Fausse Point and Bogue Chitto SP will be the next planned trips.

Top Bottom