Looking for a laptop computer repair in Prairieville area

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I'm having issues with my HP G71 laptop. Something is running and causing it to slow down (processing ) and fan sounds like a jet taking off. Where should I send it. I did the usual things like scans / ccleaner etc. Not sure if it is a virus but malware bytes did not find anything.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    not sure where you would need to take it but the fan spinning that loud can mean 1 of 2 things. 1-the laptop is seriously overheating causing the fan to run at 100% speed nonstop or 2-the fan is dying and needs to be replaced. is it really hot to the touch when the fan starts to go wild?

also it's possible you are having a memory or hard drive issue if you can't find any spyware or viruses. you can download a program like ultimate boot cd (http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm) and run diagnostics on all of your computer components. it will tell you if there is a problem with a piece of hardware so you know what to replace.

i would suggest getting a usb thumb drive and backing up all of your data before running tests on the hard drive. if it is having trouble an extensive test on it can cause it to fail and if that happens you lose everything.

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Back up the data. Back up everything. Bosco and Spanky especially, among others, seem to be our resident computer experts. Read geeks.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    If Spanky can't get to it, try Alaric behind the Capitol One bank at 73 and Airline. I've brought lots of stuff there in the past and have been happy with the service. They are helpful on the phone also with technical questions you may have.

Slim

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Metairie
    I think Bosco is right on the money. Sounds like it's running hot and causing the fan to speed up. If it is running hot it can cause the system to run slow and act a little jittery. Before you do anything back up your data.

If spanky is near you by all means let him take a look. If you were closer to me I would be happy to look at it for you.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

Phr0st

Whats a custom user title
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Holden, LA
    Agreed if the fans are running non-stop it's most likely an overheating issue. You can download free programs to check temps on MOST laptops (Speedfan is the one i used to use). Heat also reduces the efficiency of electronics which could be part of the reason it may seem slow, coupled with the voltage pull from the fans(maybe). Pull up your task manager/performance monitor and see if there's a process using a lot of system resources, if you find one close it and see how the PC runs after. Also, like everyone said back up your data before doing any memtest or diskchecks as they can make the system unstable while testing.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I'm backing up my data now. The fans and speed run fairly normal until I open a web browser. It also runs fine in safe mode. I'm going to run the program Bosco suggested and go from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Think I may have figured it out. I found that helppane.exe was hogging my cpu by about 50%+. Killed it and everything seems to be working again. I also killed nearly everything in my start up.

Bosco, I finally got that UBCD file to download but I'm going to leave well enough alone right now.

Thanks!

Top Bottom