Looking for a scope.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krj1949

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Abbeville, LA
    I bought a Savage 111 30-06 today without a scope and would like to find one. I am on a very small budget. Any suggestions on cheaper scopes that are ok? I don't plan on hitting dimes but would like to get within a 6 inch target...lol

Thanks!

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Leupold just released a bunch of factory blemished scopes to MidwayUSA. Nothing on the glass, just the housing. Check them out.

Since you know nothing about scopes, know this: you get what you paid for.

My first scope was a $30 Tasco my dad bought me. I could zero it, put it in the case, put it in the closet, take it back out to the range a week later (with no dropping/hitting it on anything) and it wouldn't be on paper at 50 yards. Cheap scopes suck and you'd be better off using the iron sights, IMO.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    Scopes are one of those rare things you get exactly what you pay for. With today's grinding technology the glass is rarely a problem. Cheap scopes just aren't sturdy and prone to breakage and failure to hold zero. The concussive effects of firing high-power will destroy a cheap scope within a few hundred rounds.

With that being said, the best of the worst are probably Weaver, TASCO and Bushnell. I'd buy from Optics Planet because of their no nonsense return policy as the incidence of defective scopes in the under $400 price range is fairly common. I'd stay clear of NcStar, Simmons, BSA, Barska.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a Redfield Revolution (know made by Leupold at a US plant) on a H&R Handi Rifle in .45-70. It's been a pretty good scope for cheap.

I also have a used Burris Fullfield II on a Savage 111 FCNS in .30-06 that works pretty good.

Either would work good on a hunting rifle.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Oh, you are going to need GOOD scope rings. Don't buy cheap Chinese ones that will need to be retightened every day until they break. You will miss shots you don't want to because of loose scope rings.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I bought a Savage 111 30-06 today without a scope and would like to find one. I am on a very small budget. Any suggestions on cheaper scopes that are ok? I don't plan on hitting dimes but would like to get within a 6 inch target...lol

Whether hunting or target shooting, you're getting into an expensive hobby. If you can't afford a decent scope mount, rings, and optics, then I'd put off buying until you can. Otherwise you will be just throwing away money in the way of crappy glass and the ammo you use to discover what most of us learned the hard way. If that's not an option then I'd sell the 111 and buy a rifle with iron sights.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    if you can save up for one id get a vortex. not overly expensive and a great value. the glass on mine is very clear. the warranty on them is superb. they overnited me two new scopes till they got it right. the scope i bought was gouged in the box by a pen. then they sent the wrong scope. they finally sent me the right scope. they even covered return mail.

LSUfan71

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Watson, LA
    This is the third thread in which I've mentioned my Vortex, just got the Crossfire II 3-9x40 at Bass Pro for $156, I like it very much. I'm impressed with it.

if you can save up for one id get a vortex. not overly expensive and a great value. the glass on mine is very clear. the warranty on them is superb. they overnited me two new scopes till they got it right. the scope i bought was gouged in the box by a pen. then they sent the wrong scope. they finally sent me the right scope. they even covered return mail.

Top Bottom