Looking for advice for my daughter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampDog35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Guys and Gals,

My daughter and I had what I believe to be a very successful range day today. We started out shooting her Beretta Neos quite a bit. She worked on her stance and posture. I sure hope I'm teaching her the correct things. I'm working to get her a few lessons with a couple of ladies around the region. Please feel free to watch the video on YT and let me know your thoughts please. Please remember she is just 16 (today) and learning. Heck I'm still learning myself as we go.

As the day progressed we started shooting our newly acquired Ruger 10/22 and shot a few rounds with it. It only has iron sights for now, as I haven't decided on which optic to go with yet. (Taking suggestions)

Finishing out the day we shot 4 magazines through my Glock19 (one day to be her's). I felt she did quite well. After watching again I think her posture needs to be worked on some. When she was shooting the Neos she seemed a bit more in a grove and comfortable. However that's just my thoughts. Again suggestions (constructive criticism) will be taken.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I believe the best thing about today was just being out there with her enjoying our time together and having fun.

http://youtu.be/KGJa2dAsoNI <<<< My YT channel.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Keep up the good work.
    Most novice women have bad posture when being introduced to shooting. Your daughters stance looked better than most. A long gun really brings stance issued to light.
    Very basic breakdown is a fighting stance (fist fight-gun fight) feet shoulder width apart strong side a half step back with slightly more weight on the foremost foot. IMHO - Which don't account for much.
    Have fun for now, but keep safety first and foremost. If she is interested then you can seek training classes from a professional.
    Optics on a 10/22?
    Where to begin?
    I recently painted a Marlin 75 for my wife and put an UltraDot red dot scope on it to keep it fun, she absolutely loves it.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I had relatively bad posture when I started shooting, so definitely work on that with her. As of late, I've been practicing taking the firearm out of my purse and firing, as well as holstered. Short range definitely.

AnnieOakleaf

LA CHP Instructor #725
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Elmwood, LA
    I teach ladies to space their feet shoulders width apart and to remember B&B (Butt and Boobs) butt out a little , boobs down. This gives a lady a better center of gravity and keeps those pesky things out of the way. ;)

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    As the day progressed we started shooting our newly acquired Ruger 10/22 and shot a few rounds with it. It only has iron sights for now, as I haven't decided on which optic to go with yet. (Taking suggestions)

On my Marlin Model 70, I have a Simmons 8-Point 3-9x40 scope and Leupold 1" Rifleman rings. The scope has been bumped about 3-4 times and never lost it's zero. The rings have been rock solid...

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/914947/simmons-8-point-rifle-scope-3-9x-40mm-truplex-reticle-matte

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/75...ertical-split-rings-weaver-style-medium-matte

jz4t56771cq8me929y6.jpg

Last edited:

SwampDog35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Thank you Annie for your advice... Please check your PM.

Steve I will look into those suggestions in a few mins.

Again thank you to all that are helping my daughter and I learn.

SwampDog35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Haha, Homeslice. Its fine, I completley understand. Thanks for the comment. And again I appreciate all the advice and help.

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    First, good job on the outing! ;) Its great to get out with the family.... nothing like it. She looks great so no critique from me! I have twins.... a boy and a girl that just turned 19. My son loves to go shooting, but as much as it pains me, I have not been able to get my daughter to the range.

As far as the optics go, my 10/22 sports a Mueller Target Dot 8-32x44 scope. However as of now its been tweaked so much the only thing Ruger is the magazines!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom