Looking for Advice on a safe purchase

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    All,

I need to invest in a safe. I will have approx $600-$800 to invest in one and am looking for one with a lot of rifle slots (I have Ar-15s and other military style rifles, some of which have optics, and know they will take multiple slots.) How many ar-15s would a 20 rifle safe hold? What would be a good size for someone that likes this style of rifle?

What recommendations do you have as far as brands that offer a quality safe that will last as well? I don't want top of the line, but do want something better than the average safe at a sporting goods store.

Also, do I have a realistic budget for a decent safe or will I need to update the investment to get something decent?

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    All,

I need to invest in a safe. I will have approx $600-$800 to invest in one and am looking for one with a lot of rifle slots (I have Ar-15s and other military style rifles, some of which have optics, and know they will take multiple slots.) How many ar-15s would a 20 rifle safe hold? What would be a good size for someone that likes this style of rifle?

What recommendations do you have as far as brands that offer a quality safe that will last as well? I don't want top of the line, but do want something better than the average safe at a sporting goods store.
    I would recommend reading over this thread:

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...uot-WOW!-Worth-the-watch!&highlight=Fort+knox

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Just keep in mind that the numbers are usually misleading . A " 20 rifle safe " will not hold 20 rifles unless you really jam them in . That's been my experience anyway . The higher end safes may be more honest with their stats .

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Bought two Brownings 24 gun and 32 gun. Room inside any safe goes fast. I guess any safe is better than no safe. Winchester at Academy is ok, you can twist the door when it is open. Good luck.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My experience and needs.
    I wanted room and better protection than a wooden gun cabinet with glass doors.
    I bought a 72"x40"x24" 800lb 48 gun Cannon "safe" and I'll use the term safe but fret not someone will inform us that it is indeed not a safe, but I digress.
    I chose the location in my home wisely and have it bolted to my slab. It's about 5 years old with an electronic S&G lock.
    I change the 9v battery on Jan1 every year and never had an issue.
    As far as space goes an AR with scope takes 3 slots. Standard long gun one slot-add a scope plus 1, add a pistol grip plus 1 more.

Last edited:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Just wait.....save some $$$$ up.

Get the biggest liberty safe you can fit.

Don't forget delivery/installation fees.

Thank me later.

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    I recently bought a Liberty Classic Series 30 Gun Safe, and tried to save the $350.00 delivery/installation fee by bringing it home on my utility trailer. I finally got it in the garage, and the next day got it in the house, but it was a PITA to deal with. Most of us are not used to moving something that heavy, at least I'm not. 650 pounds didn't seem like to much to handle when I was in the store!!!! In hindsight, I should have paid the $350.00 and watched professionals move it into place and install it. I bought it from Cabela's and saved about 500 bucks compared to direct from Liberty. The only difference is that It says Cabela's on the front instead of Liberty. As stated above, space does go very fast once you start loading it!

Top Bottom