Looking for barrel for Remington 700P in .308 win.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I think I have decided to get a better barrel for my 700P. I'm currently shooting less than 1/2 MOA and am pretty sure I can get this even better with a new barrel. Below is part of a PM I just sent to one of the other members and will help you understand why I'm looking for another barrel.

I suspect the main reason I have yet to find any factory ammo that will shoot sub MOA is the throat of my rifle is extremely long. Using the RCBS freebore tool, I get a measurement of around .157 on the mic. In order for me to get my Hornady A-Max reloads to fit into the magazine, they need to be seated to read -.10 on the mic. That puts the ogive of the bullet .167 from the lands which is an extremely long distace for the bullet to jump. Without using the magazine, loading 1 round at a time and since it is recomended to seat a bullet with at least 1 bullet diameter into the case, the longest I can I can seat the A-Max is to .29 on the mic and puts it .128 off the lands. I have some factory PMC 147 grain that measures -.31 which puts the ogive .188 from the lands! I'm thinking about getting a custom barrel put on my rifle in hopes that I can get one with a shorter throat where I can play around with trying different seating depths where the bullet is only a few thousands off the lands.

Now, with all that said, does anyone think getting a new barrel will correct the issue I'm having with not being able to seat my bullets closer to the lands. My main hope is to be able to use the magazine and shoot my reloads where the ogive of the bullet will be just off the lands.

Any info such as types and manufacturers of barrels and good gun smiths to swap barrels will be greatly appreciated. I'm in the New Orleans area.

Thanks

Top Bottom