Looking for good 1911 gunsmith near central TX

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lazer240

Lead Slinger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Brusly
    Hi guys,

I'm having feed jam issues using both factory 8 round mag and WC 7 round mag. I've had a smith do a trigger job some years ago, and think that is where the problem started. Its over my head and wanted a pro to give me a hand. I currently live in Austin, TX, but would be willing to travel to find the right man. I own a Sig Sauer STX. Please let me know if you know someone trust worth near my area.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gOICBGfC0xS2tadXlLalQyVVE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gOICBGfC0xbGlyYUxhMDZCQXc/view?usp=sharing

Steven LeBlanc

Lazer240

Lead Slinger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Brusly
    With 7 rounds in ether the stock Sig Sauer mag or WC mag, the slide will jam when trying to push the initial round into the barrel. I'm currently using Winchester white box FMJ's. The two clickable links in my initial post show the jam in action. I have not tried different brand rounds nor have I tried hollow pts. Would different rounds be your first suggestion? The ramp looks to be highly polished.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    One possibility is a sharp edge or bur on the lower edge of the extractor hook. This could be digging into the rim of the case and not allowing it to slide up the breechface.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Weak mag springs, probably not issue since you've tried multiple mags, or weak recoil spring can also cause this problem.

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There sounds like there's several things that are causing your problem. One of them by its self wouldn't do it alone. It'd be easier to explain it to you over the phone. I've been doing this for a while and I've run across this several times in the recent past. (225)244-1686

Lazer240

Lead Slinger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Brusly
    Thank you for the offer Jake. I'll take you up on that. This is a photo of the extractor tightly grasping the round. Is the extractor normally this tight?

File_000 (1).jpg
    (nothing is holding the round up except the extractor pressing tightly against the round. No support for underneath)

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The job of the "extractor" is not only to extract the round but it is also suppose to hold the round in the center of the breach face to aid in loading. It looks like there's about 0.020" of gap in the breach face and the case. That is a bit too much and would give you problems on the ejection , especially in ejecting a loaded round.

Top Bottom