Looking for help building AK from parts kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KingpenM3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    I'm going to try my hand at putting some AK kits together. I've read so much stuff that I've just confused myself. I've decided that for the first couple of builds I'll just order a complete receiver (nodakspud) and hold off on bending any flats (save that for next time). Next I'm trying to get a list of equipment and tools together.

Drill press to remove old rivets
    Hydraulic press to place new rivets
    Rivet jigs from ak builder
    Puller to remove barrel
    Punches and hammers, drills etc
    How to DVD from AGI or buildyourownak
    What else?

Anyone have one of the dvds they want to sell me?
    Anyone have rivet jigs they would sell/loan out?
    Are there some threads that I should read first (I'm sure this has been covered many times)? Links?
    Thanks for the help

(Is there a better place to post this besides gunsmithing? A AK specific board?)

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Drill press to remove old rivets - you need one of these for general use, but you do not need it to get the rivets out. A grinder and a punch will remove the rivets.

Hydraulic press to place new rivets - if you buy the ak rivet and barrel removal tools you need a press

Puller to remove barrel - ak builder is the best bet for these tools

Punches and hammers, drills etc - you will figure out what you need

How to DVD from AGI or buildyourownak - The info on ak files and you tube will be enough. I have seen quite a few good multi part vids on you tube, with good info.

You can build an ak with relatively few tools. Getting the barrel in and out is a requirement to rivet. There are alot of different rivet tools, from cheap to expensive.

Unless you plan to build 6 or more, the cost of tools will not be worth it.

KingpenM3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    Drill press to remove old rivets - you need one of these for general use, but you do not need it to get the rivets out. A grinder and a punch will remove the rivets.

Hydraulic press to place new rivets - if you buy the ak rivet and barrel removal tools you need a press

Puller to remove barrel - ak builder is the best bet for these tools

Punches and hammers, drills etc - you will figure out what you need

How to DVD from AGI or buildyourownak - The info on ak files and you tube will be enough. I have seen quite a few good multi part vids on you tube, with good info.

You can build an ak with relatively few tools. Getting the barrel in and out is a requirement to rivet. There are alot of different rivet tools, from cheap to expensive.

Unless you plan to build 6 or more, the cost of tools will not be worth it.

Sounds like I'm on the right path, but I'll skip buying the dvd's and stick to the youtube.

Hopefully I'll end up building at least 6, and I've got someone else (who's ready to build) to split the cost of the jigs. Really just looking for a new project and an excuse to buy some more tools.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Sounds like I'm on the right path, but I'll skip buying the dvd's and stick to the youtube.

Hopefully I'll end up building at least 6, and I've got someone else (who's ready to build) to split the cost of the jigs. Really just looking for a new project and an excuse to buy some more tools.

I did the same, split cost on most of the tools with a buddy. We have used them quite a bit and the ak builder stuff holds up very well. I also bought the bolt cutter jaws from toth tool and engineering. I like to use those for the front trun rivets. Just a personal preference.

Cobalt bits are your friends. Have fun the 1st time you drill the old rivets out of a rear trunnion, the worst part of the dismantle/cleanup process prior to the build.

Top Bottom