Looking for perfect gun for pop's ranch

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmann

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Ar 10 are larger . Was reading up on the ar in 300 mag. it's sweet but hard on the wallet. No way in he'll I'd go up against a pissed off grizzly with a 223 .

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    when i mentioned .223 to pops, he snickered and told me never to traverse Alaska without him.

I guess that was answered. ouch.

And yeah, he's debating the mini-14. thanks for the tips guys.

at lunch so ill elaborate for giggles at my expense:

"pops dont any of your neighbors carry .223 AR's?"

"hehe hell no boy, we have REAL animals up here. they'll eat ya while yer still kickin'. Your .22 probably pops yotes alright but it'll just **** a grizzly straight off."

zzzz

How long has he lived up there?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Saiga 12 with folding stock to be able to fit in an ATV box. 12 or 20 round drum filled with slugs or alternate buck/slug.
    Mines not for sale though....

p8s8whq41e7w07zk3jd1.jpg

c8e90jfyzy5yamo83dl.jpg

I'm guessing you don't worry about Rhinos or giant lizards attacking you anymore now that you have a shoulder cannon...with a 20 round drum.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I'm guessing you don't worry about Rhinos or giant lizards attacking you anymore now that you have a shoulder cannon...with a 20 round drum.

It's mostly for Hippie control but we do have a large cat (lions and tigers) sanctuary down the road that might prove troublesome during times of social upheaval. I prefer the 12 round drums like the one in the picture because they fit perfectly in surplus NV molle pouches. I have a quality 20 rounder but it is just too awkward and heavy.

/hijack

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It's mostly for Hippie control but we do have a large cat (lions and tigers) sanctuary down the road that might prove troublesome during times of social upheaval. I prefer the 12 round drums like the one in the picture because they fit perfectly in surplus NV molle pouches. I have a quality 20 rounder but it is just too awkward and heavy.

/hijack

Mental note. Stay on verms good side.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    everyone he's talked to carries 2 guns. 45-70's, .44mags, and 12 gauge with slugs are the most popular among the locals. I just cant imagine being somewhere and needing 2 separate guns.

The 10mm Glock may be my choice for when I visit. I've got to think that makes a serious hole. Plus its a Glock...

I want to use mine for pigs, some day. It's no .44 mag, or .41 mag, but it's a hell of a lot hotter than a typical .45.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    He's been there for 3 years now, and he's pretty sure that he's picking up a 45-70 but is still keeping the magnum revolver on his hip. You're in seriously manly outdoors when 1 gun doesn't suffice.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm picking up a 10mm glock for my trip up there this summer. After all this talk about bears I really hope I never have to shoot anything but paper. Those guys seem to put humans in a no-win scenario.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    After all this talk about bears I really hope I never have to shoot anything but paper. Those guys seem to put humans in a no-win scenario.

You'll be fine. I have lots of family friends that have lived up there their whole lives without problems. Being smart about the outdoors is the key to dealing with AK (or any environment really). I spent some time in SE AK and encountered bears regularly without problems. My cousin worked all over AK doing Salmon research and was around bears all the time and never had a problem. They were each issued a 375 H&H. He carried it for a week and then it sat in the corner of whatever cabin he was living along with everyone elses for the next 15 yrs. Keep your eyes open, don't do anything rash, and everything will go smoothly.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    yeah the common knowledge there is that they usually take off when they hear the 4wheeler, your voice, etc. The nightmares happen when some tourist wants a selfie in front of momma grizzly... or tries to feed a nosy black bear a candy bar.

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    Seems like an AR-10 with some decent .308 hunting ammo should handle most situations. I've never encountered an angry bear though. Lever 45-70 isn't a bad choice either, but you would want to stick with a sidearm as well. I thought it was interesting someone pushed the 10mm Glock 20. I don't know much about that round, but I imagine it packs a wallop at short distances.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I only skimmed through the thread, but if this is correct: Likes Mini-14. Doesn't like AK,

Then, you may look at the Mini-30, which is a Mini-14 chambered in 7.62x39. They are all over Gunbroker...

Top Bottom