Looking for some hog hunting tips from experienced hog hunters.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aguero83

shooting cause i can ...
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    slidell,la
    I'm currently hunting the pearl river wma. Just looking general tips info. I don't have a boat. Hunting down the second trail on the right. The road to the range.

flatswitch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I've been hunting Honey Island every weekend in the month of Oct. for hogs and only come across one. With as much people that are out there, they are some wise hogs at this point. Looking forward to being out there with a rifle instead of a 12 gauge with BB steel though. I got no tips other than sticking to the sloughs and on them swamp chestnuts and acorns while they last. Good luck!

DrakeXD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Can I add a specific question? Is it feasible to hunt hogs with an AR in .223/5.56?

Good question. I was wondering that myself, but thought that .223 might not be sufficient enough. Was thinking about going with a bolt action in 30-06 or an AR-10 in .308.

Along those lines, anyone know anything about the Marlin X7 in 30-06? Was considering getting one for an upcoming hog hunt in Jan.

Dr Elliot

Breeder of Deer Dogs
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Metairie
    Can I add a specific question? Is it feasible to hunt hogs with an AR in .223/5.56?

Almost any gun will suffice. Many use .17 and .22 rimfire or small-bore centerfire, requiring head and neck shots. I prefer a deer-sized cartridge in the .25 to .30 caliber range. These are potent enough for shots in those tough shoulders. Feral hogs are almost always moving, so it's often difficult to get that perfect shot opportunity. The red varmint lights that clamp onto your scope are real handy and don't spook the pigs. Be VERY CAREFUL when you go to retrieve a downed pig. If they're not dead, they will come after you. A scoped rifle is useless at close range in the dark against a charging pig. A substantial sidearm can be very useful.

Top Bottom