Looking to buy a .45 ACP Hi-Point pistol.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    You have the basics all figured out....first off is trusting and being confident in your choice of hand guns, ESPECIALLY if you carry it for PP. It doesn't matter if it is a Wilson,Colt,Kimber,Sig,H&K,S&W,SpringField,Tarus,H&R or yes even a Glock, before you carry said weapon you must first shoot it shoot again and shoot it some more just to make sure you can hit where you are aiming and again are willing to trust your or your families life with it, after that...... name, model or brand doesn't matter and price sure as hell has nothing to do with it. If you are not comfortable with it STAY away from it!
    Just my .02 worth.
    KT

+1

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I know, HP has what is probably the best warranty in the firearms industry. Free, no questions asked, and it extends to any and everybody who owns one of the guns. Whether you're the first, or fifteenth owner, you still get great customer service for the rest of your life.
    Wow. Many thanks for this very helpful post. I am a current member of the Hi-Point forums. Have been for about 6 or 7 months now. I do find it funny that many of the big name guns have FTF's, FTE's, and such, but it usually gets blamed on the things that you mentioned. Except for the Jupiter part. Haha. I wouldn't put it past some people though. Yet, the second any Hi-Point has this problem, it automatically becomes a POS. I love HP's. I have since the day I first picked one up and fed a box of ammo through it.

Their warranty is not as good as you may think it is, it was not satisfactory to me. I bought a Hi-Point 45 new from Waggenspack because just as you have said I figured "it CAN'T be THAT bad." I was wrong. Do a search on the Hi-Point forums, you will find my thread about it and see the post where an administrator attacked like NolaCop going after Chuck.

I called Wagganspack and she informed me under no circumstances would they have anything to do with me or the Hi-Point after I walked out of the door. I went to the forums and tried all the tricks that I was told to, and it still randomly failed to feed. After contacting Haskell I learned that *I* had to pay for the shipping to get it back for repair, but it's okay because they will send you a 2nd magazine for free. Well I already had a second mag, they sent me one free assuming that's what was wrong with it. It was not. I got attacked on the forums because I had the unmitigated gall to be upset with the fact that I had to pay to ship back a brand new out of the box piece of equipment. IMO that is entirely unacceptable.

Fine consider Nomad an ass if you like, you won't be the first, you won't be the last. But I have met him and I can guarantee he has a lot more experience and knows far more about the subject that you do. You are new here, I've been here a very long time (comparatively) and suffice it to say that you would be shocked to learn just who are members here and how much many of them know about the subject. Read everything on the Internet but I have owned 6 different Glocks, and shot 5 others, I've shot 5 different XD's and 8 Kel-Tecs. I have never EVER once experienced the first jam, stovepipe, FTF or any other malfunction. And that includes the Korean Military magazines for my current Glock. If you need a gun for personal protection, you'd be wise and live to consider what people here tell you.

And AFAIK the way Louisiana law reads, yes St. Francisville can possess a hand gun, but can not purchase one if between 18 and 21. I became a EBR deputy at 18 and had to get my step dad to blatantly make a straw purchase for my side arm.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You have the basics all figured out....first off is trusting and being confident in your choice of hand guns, ESPECIALLY if you carry it for PP. It doesn't matter if it is a Wilson,Colt,Kimber,Sig,H&K,S&W,SpringField,Tarus,H&R or yes even a Glock, before you carry said weapon you must first shoot it shoot again and shoot it some more just to make sure you can hit where you are aiming and again are willing to trust your or your families life with it, after that...... name, model or brand doesn't matter and price sure as hell has nothing to do with it. If you are not comfortable with it STAY away from it!
    Just my .02 worth.
    KT

+1. All firearms need to be well proven before being used in a defensive situation. And even then having a backup is a good idea. But it depends on what you can afford and one gun is better than two rocks.

jemayeux

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Beaumont, TX
    Anyone who knows HP sucks and this man is buying a lesser firearm should donate $100 so he too can own a "better" gun. Since you know better, it is your obligation to guide this mislead youth down the right path.

Together we can rid this man of poor firearm choices! :bravo:

ps. My standard take on donations is 15%. :D

bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    do what u want its ur money but i would never buy this junk u would be better off at looking for a smith and wesson model 10 or a ruger p-series

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Heaven forbid someone decides anything for themselves.

+10K Very good point SJ, some guys here should be working for Obama,Pelosi,and Reed.....they ALL know what we need and SHOULD WANT!

I am just interested in the guys here making all the NEGATIVE comments about the Hi-Points, I haven't so I cannot interject anymore than I have in my post above. BUT I just cannot understand why someone would jump onto a post claiming to know EVERYTHING about the gun! Are you speaking from experience? Did you purchase one and it turned out to be a turd? Are you trying to keep the OP member from making the same mistake as you did? OR do you just feel the need to jump onto the band wagon speaking from something you read?
    My theory is "if someone wants a gun in today’s day and time I encourage them to do so! Just like a very sensible person stated in a reply above, "ANY GUN is better than 2 rocks"
    The guy knows what he likes and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I am sure NO MATTER what handgun he purchases he will do the smart thing and run many rounds thru it before hitting the comfort zone to carry as a personal defense weapon!
    He is here for support…… NOT to be ridiculed for his choice of weapon! I am sure that EVERYONE of us own the BEST PISTOL known to mankind! HAHA Yeah RIGHT!
    Now I am sure that if you have had FIRST HAND issues or problems with the said weapon I am sure the guy would love to hear from you about such problems or failures, maybe even any ammo that the firearm did or did not like........
    RANT ENDS here

KT

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    When I was young I purchased several guns because they were all that I could afford at the time. I no longer have any of them. Do yourself a favor and learn from the wealth of experience being offered on this board. If you buy the highpoint at some point you're going to want something better. Being a highpoint you will not get a decent resale out of the gun. Whether the highpoint is good or not is irrelevant, it has a bad reputation. It'll sit in the safe and rust. Or you'll trade it in at a gunshop for maybe $75 for a gun you just have to have. BTDT... you're throwing money away.

Take a look at a decent surplus gun or a police trade in- cz82, cz52, used Ruger .45, S&W m10, 2nd gen s&w, etc. All of those will allow you to resell later at a high percentage of what you paid. Learn from our mistakes, young grasshopper...

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Their warranty is not as good as you may think it is, it was not satisfactory to me. I bought a Hi-Point 45 new from Waggenspack because just as you have said I figured "it CAN'T be THAT bad." I was wrong. Do a search on the Hi-Point forums, you will find my thread about it and see the post where an administrator attacked like NolaCop going after Chuck.

I called Wagganspack and she informed me under no circumstances would they have anything to do with me or the Hi-Point after I walked out of the door. I went to the forums and tried all the tricks that I was told to, and it still randomly failed to feed. After contacting Haskell I learned that *I* had to pay for the shipping to get it back for repair, but it's okay because they will send you a 2nd magazine for free. Well I already had a second mag, they sent me one free assuming that's what was wrong with it. It was not. I got attacked on the forums because I had the unmitigated gall to be upset with the fact that I had to pay to ship back a brand new out of the box piece of equipment. IMO that is entirely unacceptable.

Fine consider Nomad an ass if you like, you won't be the first, you won't be the last. But I have met him and I can guarantee he has a lot more experience and knows far more about the subject that you do. You are new here, I've been here a very long time (comparatively) and suffice it to say that you would be shocked to learn just who are members here and how much many of them know about the subject. Read everything on the Internet but I have owned 6 different Glocks, and shot 5 others, I've shot 5 different XD's and 8 Kel-Tecs. I have never EVER once experienced the first jam, stovepipe, FTF or any other malfunction. And that includes the Korean Military magazines for my current Glock. If you need a gun for personal protection, you'd be wise and live to consider what people here tell you.

And AFAIK the way Louisiana law reads, yes St. Francisville can possess a hand gun, but can not purchase one if between 18 and 21. I became a EBR deputy at 18 and had to get my step dad to blatantly make a straw purchase for my side arm.

In LA, 18 can buy from private sales but no from FFL. I have more than a few friends over there in my age range that own handguns. Lucky bastards. My XD is technically not even mine for another year here in MS (I can possess it, have it in my car- but not carry or "own" it).

Heaven forbid someone decides anything for themselves.

Well, Windsor Fox was simply countering the OP with his personal experiences.

I wouldn't trust my life to a Hi-Point, but that's me. Good luck in the search of your handgun.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    Just go to your local drug dealer he will sell you his :ninja: :rofl: I'm sure if people keep posting here sooner or later someone will sell you one at that price. You may want to print off LA law to have around if you find one for sale. Alot of people are a bit nervous about selling handguns to under 21 crowd

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    St. Francisville, My cousin has a Hi point 9mm and we shot about 300 rounds thru it this weekend without incident (jam,missfire,etc.). We also fired several, several (about 1000 rounds total) other guns also without incident, but I personally would not buy one, that is your choice, BUT you must at least listen to these guys on here, most of them REALLY know that they are talking about. They are just trying to help you by giving thier input, You shouldn't sit there with crossed arms shaking your head. The Hi Point did fire O.K. but for a 9mm the damn thing is heavy, 1-1/2 times than that of my Glock 23. (I know you want a .45, but that was a 9mm) These guys are just trying to help you make a well informed buy. Hope this helps...

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

18-20 YO can most definitely buy a handgun from a private party legally.

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    I'll bite since no one else seems to be doing it. I have one I'll sell for $135. Like new. Probably not over 100 rounds through it.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I wouldn't own one, but most people who own one say they go bang every time....... Well at least on the internets.... Kinda like here.... :)

Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    i wouldn't get one as a primary. I've seen them jam. And from what I saw it was probably from limp wristing, but there much less of a margin for error using a hi-point vs say a glock, I think it's because the heavy barrel needs alot of energy to cycle a round so any kind of limp wristing causes a FTF.

Of course you might argue that someone with good shooting technique wouldn't have this problem. True, but in a life or death situation I would hope that if my technique fails for some reason my tool would have my back.

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    How about this option - save a few more $$ up and look for a Ruger P45? You can generally find them used less than $300. Reliable and built like Russian tank!

Top Bottom