Looking to buy a new rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lone Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I have several Tikkas-all excellent rifles. The Weatherby Vanguards are also great. I have several CZ 550 rifles which are favorites of mine. They are very well made and have awesome accuracy. I love their set trigger for shooting at the range. Recently I bought a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .35 Whelen which I feel is an improvement over the tang safety models.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    So I have since moved away from the tikka and I am now looking at a Thompson venture in .308 cal. I have been to several ranges and gunsmiths and shooters have all said they shoot as good if not better than the tikka and for the price I can't overlook it. My question is how do y'all feel about it and would y'all recommend the bull barrel and weather guard? I will be using it for deer and hog and the occasional showing off at the range.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I bought a DPMS Oracle in 308. It is not your "typical" hunting rifle, but it is as accurate or better than most production bolt rifles.
    The benefit that it does double duty as a DMR is what I like.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    I like the feel of the Thompson the Howa feels rough and not comfortable in my opinion the tikka and Thompson are the best feeling rifles I've handled.

hunter2

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    lafayette, la
    I agreed you can't go wrong wither Sako, weatherby, or tikka. The thompson center is ok. The bull barrel is kind of heavy for walking long distances. But its great for shooting a lot at the range. If you are worried about nasty weather then the weatherguard would be good. But if the gun gets into any bad weather you still got to clean it after the hunt or it will rust eventually. I would go with the Tikka over the thompson in my opinion. But almost any gun will shoot good enough if the shooter behind it is good enough.

maadi47

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    zachary,la
    I may be by myself with this one but I have a Savage 11fcns in 308. Detachable mag, accu-trigger, synthetic stock, etc... I wouldn't count out Savage.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I had one of those, Awesome gun ! I didn't like the 20'' barrel in a deer stand.
    The rifle was 6 for 5.
    4 deer and 2 pig's in 5 shots !
    I don't care what you shoot, That's hard to beat !

I may be by myself with this one but I have a Savage 11fcns in 308. Detachable mag, accu-trigger, synthetic stock, etc... I wouldn't count out Savage.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    What is your price range on the rifle? You can't go wrong with any of the ones mentioned; but how much do you want to spend?

That's a good question my budget was for 650$ without a cope until I saw I could get the Thompson for 450-500$. I would like to stay bellow 650& because I am trying to get a Zeis scope to go with it. And those get a little pricey.

ReSpEcT

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Remington 700 and Winny Model 70 (my 2 favorites).

But i will say i have a Tikka 22-250 that leaves a nice sized hole in a gators head at about the 150yd mark.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Looking for some opinions. I'm looking to buy a .308 hunting rifle. I was wondering if any of y'all have a special brand you like to use. I've heard Sako, wetherby, and tikka are all good rifles in the .308 caliber. Do y'all have any preferences? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    My Dad had a Tikka Sporter in .308 that would shoot 1" groups at 300 yards with loads it liked.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Zeiss optics are a bit pricey, for the rifle at a +-450-600 range you have a lot of options. Look at Savage or the FN rifles, I came very close to buying a FN-PBR in .308 before my finances went to hell. Whatever you buy in your price range you can not go wrong, you are out of the "walmart" value rifle price and can shop whatever features you want in a gun.

My .02 is pay a lot of attention to the trigger and barrel length, some very nice rifles have a heavy bull barrel that makes field carry awkward. The Savage Accu-trigger is usually very nice right out of the box.
    Have fun shopping.

Top Bottom