Looking to learn how to shoot practical pistol matches

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Covington
    I'm in Covington and would love to learn how to shoot in the practical pistol competitions. I've looked over some of the web sites and it looks like the Tangipahoa Practical Shooters in Amite are the closest to me, but I can't find anything posted that would indicate there are "learning classes" or "teaching matches". I'm sure the best way would be to go out and observe first.

What would you guys suggest as the best way to learn? And where in the general area is a good location for someone new to the sport to get experience?

Thanks!

WB5QBK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Caddo Parish
    Show up, show interest, ask for advice and a safety orientation. Then just go ahead with your first match. The shooters and ROs will help you this first time (and again when you show up next month.)

We have an introduction to pactical shooting class occasionally in Shreveport, but you can make a good start by just shooting a couple of matches and asking questions.

Shoot safely and remember that you are only shooting against yourself.

Now that you have done it once, start practicing.

Storm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Covington
    Thanks WB. I guess that's what I plan on doing. I've been doing some research on what all I will need. I'd love to attend an introduction class, but Shreveport would be a bit far for me to travel unless I could time it up with a work assignment.

Thanks for the advice, I think you're right, I should just go out, take my guns and give it a try. Both Amite and Gonzales are easy for me to get to, so I think I'll get out to one of those matches.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    You can also go to Precision on Monday nights (check the threads). Show up early (5 ish) and you'll get plenty of help.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Thanks WB. I guess that's what I plan on doing. I've been doing some research on what all I will need. I'd love to attend an introduction class, but Shreveport would be a bit far for me to travel unless I could time it up with a work assignment.

Thanks for the advice, I think you're right, I should just go out, take my guns and give it a try. Both Amite and Gonzales are easy for me to get to, so I think I'll get out to one of those matches.

We shoot in Gonzales next Sunday. You can get info at www.eapsclub.org or www.lagator.org.

I think Poplarville might be close to you too. They are in MS but just a little ways north of Slidell. http://www.smsps.com/SMPSA.htm

Storm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Covington
    Thanks 70116 and Spanky. I'm from Mississippi originally, so I know Poplarville, but never shot there. Where is Precision? Is that in Matairie?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Now that I think about it, Pearlington is probably reasonably close to you. It's right off of the first exit (buffer zone exit) on I-10 in MS. they shoot on the 3rd sunday of every month (same as GOnzales). take a right off the exit coming from LA and look for the IPSC sign on the left side of the road

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    If you have never shot competition I do think Precision, Baker, or Nick's are the best for first time shooters. Not that you can't go to any of the weekend matches for your first time. If you already have really safe gun handling skills you are well on your way to the most important thing about shooting with others. I'm always amazed how many long term shooters have poor (unsafe) gun handling. Whatever you do make sure you plan to shoot your first match. Too many people come to watch instead of shooting the first time and they always regret not bringing their stuff to shoot.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Couple of things I always recommend to new shooters.

1. Just bring what ever gun you have to the 1st match and shoot it.
    2. Walk the courses of fire for the first 1-2 matches to make sure you do it safely. No need to rush when you are just learning.
    3. Get your hits. Do not worry about the time factor. The speed will come in time.
    4. Do not go out and buy a $2000 gun to start with.
    5. Ask plenty of questions to people that have been doing this sport for awhile.
    6. Be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    +1 on this Good Advise

2. Walk the courses of fire for the first 1-2 matches to make sure you do it safely. No need to rush when you are just learning.
    3. Get your hits. Do not worry about the time factor. The speed will come in time.
    5. Ask plenty of questions to people that have been doing this sport for awhile.
    6. Be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    +1 on this good advice.

6. Be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace

6. Be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!

This + learn the proper grip ans stance for the type of shooting that you will be doing. Not all shooting sports are the same.
    It won't take long for you to know who's trying to be helpful and who's blowin' smoke up your backside. ;)

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    this is the lagator.org website

http://lagator.org/TPS.html

If your interested in Amite, tps has uspsa matches every 4th, 5th sunday and IDPA every 1st saturday. Every other saturday the range is open to the public and many of the competitive shooters are there. E-mail Robert and he will meet you up there (he's there almost every sat.) and give you a rundown of safety rules and get some practice. I would be glad to meet you up there as well, just send me a message and let me know wich sat. you'd want to meet up. Don't buy a gun, holster ect. till you know what you want to do. I showed up one sat. with nothing but a gun and two mags, learned the rules and figured out wich equipment to buy from there. Been shooting there ever since.

Storm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Covington

6. Be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I have a stock XDM 9mm that I plan to shoot with. No way I'd drop big bucks on a competition rig, I'm a long way from that! I like #2 and #3. I will need to remember to do that. Just get the experience and understand how the sport works before I try and really compete. I will always ask questions. I appreciate all the help here. This site seems very friendly and courteous! I like that.

Turbodog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Tangipahoa parish
    this is the lagator.org website

http://lagator.org/TPS.html

If your interested in Amite, tps has uspsa matches every 4th, 5th sunday and IDPA every 1st saturday. Every other saturday the range is open to the public and many of the competitive shooters are there. E-mail Robert and he will meet you up there (he's there almost every sat.) and give you a rundown of safety rules and get some practice. I would be glad to meet you up there as well, just send me a message and let me know wich sat. you'd want to meet up. Don't buy a gun, holster ect. till you know what you want to do. I showed up one sat. with nothing but a gun and two mags, learned the rules and figured out wich equipment to buy from there. Been shooting there ever since.

Good info GM.
    I've been wanting to find out about the matches over at the Tangi range for awhile now. Now if I can just stop work long enough to get over there.....

Top Bottom