Looking to Start competing (Service Rifle)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigpoppat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Lakeview/Gentilly
    Looking for info/insight/tips/ etc.

I am looking for info on how to get started in the field of competitive shooting. I'm interested in the Civilian Service Rifle field.

In sum, my grandpa is a distinguished rifleman from his days in the Army (I think he earned distinguished in '63). After shooting together for years, he has urged me to start shooting in competitions, and if I ever do, I can have his M14 to use. (I'm not even sure if you can use the M14 in the competitions, I also am in the process of getting a Garand)

I've looked online but can find no real info on how to start. What organizations do I need to join?

Also, can someone explain the "legs" and how they are awarded.

I am veeerrrryyyy green in the world of competition shooting but I would love to start. I think it would be nice to be apart of a group who loves shooting service rifles like I do. Any information would be much appreciated. IDK if it matters, but I am in Metairie, but am willing to travel for meets.

Thanks for any help, info, tips, or comments you have

:cheers:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Don't worry man......you're in the right place. Check out the Louisiana Shooting Association website and join up. The state championship is next month and we'll be shooting a leg match then. PM Dzelenka and you'll have plenty of info.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Dan had told me if you want to come out to the match bring whatever equipment you have and the rest could BR borrowed from the LAS for a fee, I believe (don't quote me) of $5. They would give you a brief clinic and then you would be good to go. When I have been to Palo Alto everyone has been very nice and willing to explain things. I just haven't gotten around to actually shooting in a match.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Bigpoppat,

Email me. I will get you all of the information that you can stand on service rifle shooting. We have a very active service rifle shooting community in the south eastern part of the state and a first rate range to shoot at (Palo Alto). There are 2 monthly matches that cater to the SR shooters one in Gonzales and the other in Donaldsonville. The first thing you need to do is join the Louisiana Shooting Association www.louisianashooting.com . The LSA has loaner rifles for new shooters. They are AR-15 NM and we charge $5. You need to supply the ammo. You could also use the M14, but in the end if you really want to become a Distinguished Rifleman, you will turn to the dark side (M16). ;)

Dan

dzelenka@couhigpartners.com

PS What is your grandpa's name?

bigpoppat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Lakeview/Gentilly
    Thanks for quick responses. I'll definitely come observe the state competition and get a feel for how it works. I'd like to start shooting by the end of the year :cheers:

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Just to add... A good site to join and learn more about Service Rifle Competitions is located at http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/

I believe your grandpa's m14 should be good to go for competition as long as it is configured to fire in semi-auto only. Skip the garand (unless you want it for collecting, etc.) and save your money for an AR15 NM version. Best upper is for the most part considered the one from White Oak with pinned rear - http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/uppers-service.htm

A few guys on the line still use the M1A(m14) but the AR is considered the most competitive with reduced recoil in rapids and ability to use handloaded 77 or 80 grns at 600.

There is a reduced match this Sunday in Gonzales. All the targets are at the 200 yrd line but they reduce in size to mimic shooting at the 300 and 600 targets. It's the perfect place to attend your first match. Full length XTC matches (out to 600) are at Palo Alto and I believe Fort Polk has them as well.

I'll let Dan fill you in on the rest ....

Last edited:

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    You should come shoot on next sunday in Gonzalez for the monthly reduced course match. Then, next month you can come shoot at the championship. At least come shoot the leg match on that sunday. The more non-distinguished shooters that shoot in a leg match the more legs that can be given. You will understand that if you look up EIC and CMP.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Your Grandpa went distinguished in 1961.

The reduced match next Sunday at Gonzales is a great one to start at or watch. you will be able to meet all of the guys and girls.

LCPL4, Are you coming Sunday? I have your shirt.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    What time does the match start in Gonzales tomorrow, 9-26? Match fee? Can you elaborate on the "reduced" match?

The match actually starts at 9:00. However, everyone shows up around 7:30 - 7:40 to set up and go over the course of fire and positions for the new shooters.

A reduced course match is a match that is fired from less than the full distance of 200, 300 and 600 yards. In the case of tomorrow's match, all shooting will occur at 200 yards. The 300 and 600 yard stages will be fired on targets that are reduced in scale so that they can be shot at the 200 yard distance.

I think the match fee is $15.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom