Looking to start reloading, could use some input

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S

suerto

No probs. Just trying to point you in the right direction is all.. If your looking at the hornaday or dillons, then appearently your not lacking in the funds department and should be happy with either of those..
    I got a lee loadmaster cuz it was inexpensive.. Although many people dont care for them cuz they arent exactly "ready out of the box", you gotta tweak em a little and its fairly easy if your mechanically inclined..
    All "modern" dies are threaded the same thread size so your RCBS dies will work with anything you purchase as long as they arent that old (I think it was in the mid 80's when they standardized die threads).. I believe the thread is 14x8.. Not positive on that right now.. That number seems familiar right now.. google it, you should be able to find some info on your dies, threads, and how to check them..

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    +1. I like my lock n load as well. Having troble fining dies and shell plates right now. One bent piece on it when I set it up, and hornady sent out replacement lighting fast. SO...great customer service as well. they have a funny voice mail too.

you mind doing a small write up on pro's con's etc of the hornady here:
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13982

since we dont have anyone popping up under the search.. it would be nice to have a little tech for later use.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I dont know that it matters much, Jbonnette is right, there isnt a darn one available anywhere but ebay!! I know they are out there and I will find them and post it up here.

I do like to know as much as possible, what books do you recommend?

S

suerto

All the ones I would recommend are OUT OF STOCK!!! LOL..
    another reason why I was asking where your location is.. We have a vast network of relaoders who could possibly help you out (in person) if we know your location.. maybe somebody in your area would have a book to let you borrow or could make copies of certain sections for you. Anything to help you out...
    Lee has a reloading book, dillon has a book, etc.. there's a few others, those are the most popular and most informative. You might be able to find one at the library if your near a large city..

Yes, reloading supplies are very scarce these days, prolly the only place you are gonna find anything will be ebay, and the prices will be VERY inflated.. .40 dies normally $35 go for $75 there..

Last edited by a moderator:

jbonnette

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Denham Springs
    http://www.reloadersnest.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3584&whichpage=1
    Jbonnett, here is a good thread of normal people discussing it from both sides (there are articles but I like to hear what people have to say). It seems to me like it will be another ford vs chevy thing. I am leaning a bit more toward the hornady.

Thanks for the link... I'm leaning toward the Hornady as well. From what I read, most people that use both prefer the LNL. That in no way means the Dillon is not awesome though.,, if I can't find the LNL in stock somewhere... I'll go with the Dillon 650.

I wanted to add that one drawback that I read about the LNL is that the last die position will not accept a lee crimping die without modification because of the release wire sticking up.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    So, those who ruffled your feathers by trying to caution you aren't normal?

FWIW, I too got the impression that you were more concerned with production speed than quality control. I would have cautioned you exactly as suerto did; he just beat me to it.

Ever heard the expression 'biting the hand that feeds you"?:rolleyes:

Holy crap, I meant not an article written by an author, regular people...reloaders...one owner of a certain press to another owner of a different press. I meant I prefer to read a back and forth discussion of said "people" over and article written by one guy who researched both machines.....First hand experience from PEOPLE. I already apologized to suerto, what more can I do here to make this go away. Perhaps I will edit my first post, get suerto to delete his post and I will delete mine. I am sorry for the way I acted, it is out of character for me I would love it if this could go away now.

Last edited:

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I do understand as well if you dont own anything already you are pretty free to start out with either but if you own a bunch of dillon parts its very expensive choice to choose the hornady or vise versa.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston

If you change your mind La Gun and Reloading has the 550 and 650 in stock and a lot of helpful people there to help you. I don't know what the warranty is on the Hornady but the Dillon has a lifetime warranty and their customer service is top notch. If you don't believe me go to their forums or any forum and talk to their customers.

That alone sold me on the Dillon. They have a 550 with a casefeeder set up a La. Gun you can play with before you purchase too. It gives you an idea what a 650 would be like except for the auto indexing.

If you want a casefeeder for rifle you have to go with the 650. Whichever way you decide good luck. I'm sure plenty of people would like to hear feedback on the Hornady as I have not heard very much.

Last edited:

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    ?? :confused:
    Is this the one in baton rouge?

That was supposed to say help. It was a mistype I guess. They are super helpful. I was in there with another member buying his press last week and they showed him how to set everything up and even let him play on the 550 they had set up.

They only thing that will hurt is your wallet when you leave after you decide you need everything in there :)

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    That was supposed to say help. It was a mistype I guess. They are super helpful. I was in there with another member buying his press last week and they showed him how to set everything up and even let him play on the 550 they had set up.

They only thing that will hurt is your wallet when you leave after you decide you need everything in there :)

Not only that, He gave me his cell phone number and told me to call it after store hours, if I was having any problems. :p

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Ditto, although my output is a bit less; I HATE filling primer tubes, and take my time when doing that.

Roger that...probably only 15 minutes of the total hour or two but it feels like an eternity...nothing more fun than poking little packets of explosives with a hollow stick and picking 'em up one by one by one by one... :D

Which brings up a good point. Reloading newcomers: keep a pair of safety glasses on your press and put 'em on when picking up primers or reloading ammo. Primers occasionally will jam and go boom.

Not sure of the other presses, but the way Dillon's are made, when a primer pops, the worse thing that's likely to happen is it will launch the primer tube into your ceiling. They are well shielded, but don't take chances.

Never force a primer that won't go smoothly into the primer pocket of brass. And if you get primers jammed up in a primer tube, Dillon recommends tossing the tube after dousing it with WD40 and calling them for a free replacement.

mikepizz

LA CHP INSTRUCTOR # 308
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Maurepas, LA
    Nothing but a dillon. I have a 550 and a 650. Started with a 550 for $200.00 from my neighbor and after several thousand rounds the powder measure started to slip. I callled dillon, ran the problem past a tech representative. He told me to box it up along with the four powder measures and send it end. 3 weeks later I received my 550 back. the whole machine was refurbished and updated along with 4 brand new powder measures. All of this was no charge. I called dillon to ask what was the deal and the rep told me that is why they call it the "no BS" warranty. It truly is a no BS warranty. I picked up a 650 last year a never looked back. I bought 10 primer tubes so when I'm ready to load a thousand rounds I pre-load 10 primer tubes then start pulling the handle. Hope this helps. Mike

Top Bottom