Looking to start reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 504BigNasty

Looter Assassin
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    NOLA-Bywater
    So I have been thinking about reloading for quite some time and now I am ready to do so. What would be the best for a newbie who wants to reload .223 9mm and 45acp? I'm not looking for the cheapest but also not looking to break the bank. Any information will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I am in the exact same boat as you are right now. If you want to pm me your email I will send you a great spreadsheet that I have put together.

Here is a link to a THREAD I started.

Then for a wealth of knowledge and FAQ go HERE.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I did forget to talk about equipment, didnt I. Take this for what it is worth but I would go with a Dillon 650. I know some people will say to start out on a smaller scale and learn first but I am the type of person that would rather buy once and cry once instead of having to upgrade all the time. I have even considered looking at getting a 1050 to go with the 650 I am buying from a local friend.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    So I have been thinking about reloading for quite some time and now I am ready to do so. What would be the best for a newbie who wants to reload .223 9mm and 45acp? I'm not looking for the cheapest but also not looking to break the bank. Any information will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

You're reloading what I'm reloading (swap 9mm for 38 spcl). I just got a Dillon 550b (Used with case feeder and a bunch of other stuff for $650). It all matters on how much you are actually going to be reloading. I know that this 550b will take care of me for a long time and I definitely am not going to be outgrowing it anytime soon.

Check out this:

The 550 or the 650?
    Although one of the tougher comparative decisions, I seldom recommend the 650 over the 550 as your first progressive machine, and even less as your first reloading machine in general. The 650, w/Casefeeder and auto-indexing, is a complex machine compared to the 550. However, a few exceptions for the 650 might be:

You're shooting USPSA or IDPA pistol competition, or are planning to.
    You're an experienced reloader looking to upgrade from another brand.
    Plan to use the machine to load one or two calibers in high volume.
    Are not only tired of messing with your current piece of junk, but in general, would prefer to spend more time either shooting or hanging out with your wife or kids than reloading.
    Price is not an object.
    Your're not afraid of a complex machine.
    You usually know if you are ready for the 650. Almost always, the 550 is a better choice over the 650 because of the reasons mentioned in the Sq Deal vs 550 comparison above.

Still not sure: 550 vs. 650; or 650 vs. 1050
    Here's another way to help make your decision: How many rounds you will load in one caliber before switching to another caliber? (Apply this logic to all the calibers you will load.)

Rounds you will load before changing to another caliber:

550: 100 - 200+ rounds
    650: 1000 - 2000+ rounds
    1050: 5000+ rounds
    It's so easy to switch calibers on the 550 - if you just load 100 or 200 rounds, you won't mind changing to load another caliber. On the 650 however, I wouldn't want to change calibers unless I'd loaded a minimum of 1000 - 2000 rounds. And on the 1050, that number would be 5000 or more rounds, at the absolute minimum

That's an excerpt from a fountain of knowledge you can find here: http://brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html#accreload.

Bookmark that ****.

504BigNasty

Looter Assassin
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    NOLA-Bywater
    Hey guys I appreciate the info looks like the Dillon 650 will be the right setup for me. I plan on reloading a lot,I'm tired of spending so much on ammo.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I've not even started. Just getting all the pieces together. Plus I'm in an apartment and hoping to buy a house soon so I might not start until I move.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom