LOP and Cheek rest adjustment

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • _Big_Al_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Lafayette
    Is there a standard or preferred way for setting up a chassis to a shooter?

I'm working with an XLR Carbon Chassis that I plan to use in PRS style shooting. I set the length of pull according what I've always been told and to the only video I could find on the subject. I started in Prone and made sure it fit also in different positions ( made compromises ). Same with the cheek piece.

Jus wondering what other people do and any things to take into consideration for the Practical style of long range shooting.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I would think there are questions you have to answer for yourself. What do you want to accomplish with your adjustments? Are those goals being met with the adjustments made?

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    How a shooter prefers to have a stock set up is pretty personal. Last time I shot with Mickey he looked like a glob of wet toilet paper dropped from 20' up onto hard pavement with bi-pod legs split so wide it would make a stripper blush. He sets LOOOOWWW. Others will sit so high that they tuck a pillow under their chest for support. People have completely different body types and your adjustments and settings may start with whatever you're working with. Generally when starting out with a new stock (fully adj.) I set everything up in a medium setting, dry fire, adjust, dry fire, adjust, live fire, adjust and just keep going till I find what works. That said, over the years I have found that I use a shorter LOP in PRS types of shooting than dedicated prone rifles (F-class and FPR) and even shorter LOP stocks for hunting where I am usually in thick clothes.

_Big_Al_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Lafayette
    Thanks Rittten
    That's pretty much what I have been doing, I set everything where I thought it went and have jus been making changes and trying stuff as I shoot. I may be over analyzing things though as I have been known to really nitpick things, OCD usually in overdrive.

The LOP info you provided is exactly what I'm looking for, nothing RITTEN in stone, (sorry I couldn't resist) but general rules like; for PRS style you like a shorter length of pull than for F class style. I assume that would be because in F class you are always prone therefore closer to the scope, not so with PRS style with different positions.

thanks again

Top Bottom