Lost my Grandfather yesterday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFFS

When seconds count...
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and kind words. Although grandad's health has gone down hill over the past couple of years this was a complete shock to us all.

To most people, grandparents are distant relatves who they talk to on holidays and birthdays, even if they ever get to meet them at all. I consider myself lucky because I was able to have a close relationship with both sets of my grandparents even up into my mid 20's

Grandaddy Carl was much more than that. Growing up I lived directly behind him, no more than 100 yards from my back door to his. When I was around 12 my dad decided he would enjoy being a drunk and a womanizer more than a husband and father so he took off. Throughout my teen years there was Grandad, thats it.

Grandad taught me the thinks a young male learns growing up. He was a major influence in my life. When I turned 15 and it was time for me to learn to drive it ws grandad who went out and bought an old F-150 for me to learn to drive. He let me keep it til I was able to afford my first car.

Grandad was the one who taught me how to shoot. He was the one that planted those seeds that have turned into my firearms obsession. I started out with a 22 bolt action Remington loaded with rat shot. When it was time to step up, he went out and bought matching shotguns for squirrel season. When deer season came in it was time to step up to the lever action 30-30.

Grandad's true love was revolvers, so thats what I spend the majority of my time shooting. I still remember the first revolver I ever shot, a Colt Police Positive .38 with a set of Mother of Pearl grips. I loved that gun. I spent years trying to buy that gun from him but he always said, "Think I'll hold onto it for now. You can have it later."

When I turned 18 grandad took me to the local pawn shop/firearms dealer and told me to pick one out. I fell in love with a 4" Model 65 S&W. He was glad to see me choose the Smith because of the quality plus as he said, "Those damn Colts are expensive."

I still have the S&W 65 and that gun is priceless to me.

una4ac8og654uz7h7id.jpg

Grandad always encouraged me in whatever I choose to do. He was there to share in the joy of the births of my 2 sons. He was also there to offer me a place to stay when I divorced from my first wife and lost my home. I like to think that everything good in my life is attributed to him and everything bad is because I didn't listen to him.

He was glad to see me succeed. To pull myself together after my divorce. To be the first one in my family to graduate college. To meet and marry my beautiful wife Carla and to have made a good life in Louisiana. He also loved to hear about my recent interest in competition shooting. Whenever I would score low he would offer his encouragement, "There's always someone worse but there is always someone better."

Family night is tomorrow. He will be buried on Friday. It's gonna be a long week.

I am sorry for your family's loss and our hearts and prayer go out to you at this time of sorrow.

That being said, it sounds like you have a lot of good memories to fall back on and it would be good to celebrate your grandfather's life. Remember that as long as you have those memories, he will always be with you in your heart.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    Sorry to hear that SW.I miss my grandparents alotttt.

Considering they adopted me and raised me.They were old then,yet they took the time to
    take care of me and save me from starving to death.Now that I am a grandpa,I try to invoke
    the things in my grandchildren that my grandparents taught me.

RIP pa pa

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Sounds like you had a great Granddad and I know you will miss him dearly..Its hard to lose folks who have done so much for you and know how you feel. My sincerest thoughts for you and your family. Ya'll lost a great person when ya'll lost him. God rest his soul...

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Thanks for sharing the memories. Those are special and they will never change. Remembering the blessings he shared will be what gets you through the tough times.
    May God bless your family and give you the peace and comfort you need.
    May he rest in peace.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Sorry for your loss. Knowing one's grandparents is a real blessing that not everyone gets to enjoy.
    Prayers for you and your family.

VincentBuckles

Mesa Kinetic
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I know we've spoken to some extent about it privately but once again, prayers for both the departed and the berieved. That was a very touching eulogy. I never met my grandfathers it my father got me into revolvers. I've bought him a few over the years and last Christmas got him an international harvester M-1 Garand. I don't look forward to the day those become mine.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    I know we've spoken to some extent about it privately but once again, prayers for both the departed and the berieved. That was a very touching eulogy. I never met my grandfathers it my father got me into revolvers. I've bought him a few over the years and last Christmas got him an international harvester M-1 Garand. I don't look forward to the day those become mine.

Thank you brother and thanks to everyone else. I've had a lot of people contacting me and giving me support and words of encouragement. It means a lot

The funeral was today. I'm going back to work tomorrow and am trying to get back to a normal routine.

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you two were extremely close. I miss my grandparents, too. The pain eases up over time, probably as you realize that they are always with you.

God bless.

Top Bottom