Lost their marbles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans

Yea...I get what you're saying and am also concerned. But the reality is that with today's globalized world....I think it is just a matter of time before we have an outbreak in the US.

This guy in the below article collapsed in an airport in Nigeria. He was transferring to a US bound airliner. His next stop was Minneapolis.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/29/health/ebola-outbreak-american-dies/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

It is some really bad stuff. And I don't think they really have a clue especially considering that the 2 US aid workers caught the disease while wearing full body suits.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I don't think we have anything to worry about the ones we are bring back home for treatment. It's the ones that get in that they don't know about that scare me.

Last edited:

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    Damn. Why did they have to put the CDC down the road from my home town? These type of outbreaks are terrifying. Not with a bang folks; with a whimper.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Luckily Ebola Outbreaks tend to burn themselves out quickly. We also have some built in protections here in the US because of easy access to clean water, institutional procedures for handling the dead and dying, isolation protocols, brick and mortar facilities, and because we don't eat primates or "Bush Meat".

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    ^^ that's how I always thought of it, plus we are better nourished and healthy, and able to get better care quickly, I figure giving us a better chance to be in that upper 50-40 percent than your average Nigerian exposed to e-bola.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    It is my understanding that this strain is a little different from previous strains with a lower mortality rate and a longer contagious time before being incapacitated.

Dave

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ebola is not airborne, you have to touch the bodily fluids of someone that is already infected. I'm sure they know they are being watched and will take extra precautions to make sure the patients are contained.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It is my understanding that this strain is a little different from previous strains with a lower mortality rate and a longer contagious time before being incapacitated.

Dave

I think that's accurate but its still a disease that's much more likely to explode in the 3rd World than hear in the states.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yea...they do keep saying it's not airborne yet I could not understand how two aid workers wearing those bio suits would then catch it.

Then this morning...I saw an interview on CBS News. The doctor was saying a big part of the problem was that the aid workers were working day in and day out in a part of the world where the avg temp is @ 102 degrees. And then they have no A/C....And have to put that hot ass suits on. Plus the suits and equipment had to be reused and reused every day in Africa. They would spray themselves down with some disinfectant.

In the US...we'll probably disinfect and then trash those things after every time they enter the quarantined infectious disease room.

So its probably a case of being a bit sloppy due to the sweating ( body Fluids ) because of the extreme heat when wearing those suits. They probably just got careless and they were working to save these victims all day long. Probably were damned exhausted.

From what she said...since we have such better medical facilities....there will be very little risk associated with the disease. A/C and first class medical facilities plus full safety protocols.

In any case...now I understand how they could have caught the disease while wearing the suits.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom