Louisiana Appleseed Schedule 2009

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    My family and I attended an Appleseed boot camp in Davila, Texas a couple of years ago. It was great! You'll get solid training in rifle marksmanship as well as the inspiring American history lesson from April 19, 1775.

I've been teaching shooting for several years now and EVERYONE I have had in a class, with the possible exception of regular competition shooters, was in desperate need of training and instruction. Most did not realize their need until they attended the class. Don't attend alone this is an excellent opportunity to bring a kid or a lady.

In addition, if you enjoy teaching, this will be a good time to expose yourself to some solid and proven methods of marksmanship training. Hopefully you'll be helping us pass on the tradition.

This event is a steal and another chance to bring more quality instruction and training to Louisiana.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    My family and I attended an Appleseed boot camp in Davila, Texas a couple of years ago. It was great! You'll get solid training in rifle marksmanship as well as the inspiring American history lesson from April 19, 1775.

I've been teaching shooting for several years now and EVERYONE I have had in a class, with the possible exception of regular competition shooters, was in desperate need of training and instruction. Most did not realize their need until they attended the class. Don't attend alone this is an excellent opportunity to bring a kid or a lady.

In addition, if you enjoy teaching, this will be a good time to expose yourself to some solid and proven methods of marksmanship training. Hopefully you'll be helping us pass on the tradition.

This event is a steal and another chance to bring more quality instruction and training to Louisiana.

Bill,

You have experience training people and with attending an Appleseed clinic. I have questions that maybe you can answer. First, besides the historical patriotic information, what can be gained from this training over a service rifle clinic? Second, what is the purpose of the (what some view to be) high cost if everyone is a volunteer and the range fees are on top of the clinic fee? Third, your kids shoot very well, I saw them shoot service rifles from 200 yards to 600 yards. Their positions are good and so are their shooting fundamentals. Do you attribute this to their Appleseed experience or your personal work with them?

Thanks

Dan

PS After Camp Perry we are going to start recruiting and training new highpower shooters again. Any chance your and Danny's kids want to come shoot some more?

mtcur3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Thibodaux, LA
    Dan,

I'd say nothing can be gained over a service rifle clinic they are both valid and it’s not one over the other. The fundamentals are the same, except that in Appleseed the sling is used in the standing position. We did 90% of our shooting with rimfire at 25 yards at targets scaled to simulate 100, 200, 300 & 400 yards. At the end of the clinic, those that could shoot 4 moa (1”@25) and had a centerfire rifle, shot out to 300 yards, the limit of the range.

Some of the advantages of Appleseed are: rimfire is economical and younger kids are able participate. Our kids were ages 8, 11, 12 and 13 when we did Appleseed. (I think it is essential to teach gun safety and marksmanship to kids at an early age. I have taught kids as young as 5.)
    You don’t have to have any expensive equipment. You only need 25 yards to shoot.

The cost for us was: I paid $70 for the weekend, my wife and 2 kids shot for free. I think that is a real deal and can't imagine anyone thinking that was a high cost.

My two youngest, my wife and I, as well as Danny and his two boys, learned position shooting from Appleseed. When we got home, we taught what we learned to my oldest son and to Danny's daughter as well as other kids.

To me Appleseed’s goal is to plant the “envie” to be a rifleman by teaching American history, and to give people a sound foundation in the fundamentals of marksmanship. The folks that I met, including Fred the founder, were genuinely passionate about what they were doing. They were a pleasure to be around and most importantly to me, they loved the kids.

Yes we would like to come out and shoot high power again. I will be putting together the two RRA lowers that you helped me find this week and I will be ordering a White Oak upper or two this week (18-22 week wait!). The hard part for us is that Danny and I both work offshore, 7&7 and 14&14 and my family and I are running gun classes two or more times a week when I’m home. We appreciate and support and promote what you are doing 100%.

Bill and family

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Thanks Bill. That was the kind of info I was looking for.

While you are waiting for your uppers to be built, don't forget that the LSA rifles are available (or just the uppers).

By the way, we picked up some Compass Lake Engineering .22 uppers for practice. It is actually really helping their positions and follow through.

Stay in touch.

Dan

ulshop

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    lafayette
    Due to scheduling issues at the Shurburne pistol range, dates for two events have been changed.

August is now 29/30th
    October is on 10/11th
    December is still 12/13

Appleseed site should have updated info in a few days.
    Event info:http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=6463.0

General Appleseed/RWVA information:
    http://appleseedinfo.org/

Shurburne Wildlife Management Area
    http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting...t.cfm?wmaid=45

Also working to have events planned in the Shreveport area for the fall.

Questions... pm or email me at la.appleseed@gmail.com

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    my friend from Houston and a I are going to be there. He has been to other Appleseed events, i have not. Any advice, tips and camping details will be appreciated.

and

we are both going to meet at the Hub City Rifle & Pistol Club shooting range the morning of Friday, September the 4th to practice for the shoot. he is going to run me though some (to the best of his recollection) of the type of shooting that will be done at Appleseed. Nothing formal, just running though the position, position transitions, speed reloads and evolutions with the targets and distances that will be at Appleseed. We printed a million Appleseed targets, all are welcome.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Did the 29-30 August Appleseed at Sherburne. Great group of people. Learned much about the rifle. Learned much about those who valued liberty over their own lives.

As long as you listen to the instruction, I virtually guarantee that you will become a better rifle shooter after attending an Appleseed workshop. If you already can shoot a good score it will help to have another set of eyes to look for any bad habits that may have set in.

ulshop

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    lafayette
    The events are usually rain or shine. Bring some rain gear if you don't mind your rifle getting a little wet. Unless there is lightning in the area, they usually keep going through the day. Some shooters sat out the heavy rain, others stayed on the line.. up to the individual.

Good things to bring- shooting mat/something to lie on, something to cover rifle/gear, water, sunscreen, standard weekend outside stuff.

cptnapalm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    I was going to go to this tomorrow (was, in fact, packing up to head out) but upon re-reading some stuff, I have a question: is Appleseed a .22 only shoot? I only have my AKs. If it is, then I'll plan on going to the one in December and, in the interim, get a .22.

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    I was going to go to this tomorrow (was, in fact, packing up to head out) but upon re-reading some stuff, I have a question: is Appleseed a .22 only shoot? I only have my AKs. If it is, then I'll plan on going to the one in December and, in the interim, get a .22.

nope, my buddy and and I are shooting 5.56.

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    great shoot, thanks to all

rifleman.jpg

Top Bottom