Louisiana Constitutional Carry Bills Pass.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Then stop giving them your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why?

When I say I just left, I just bought some and items and left. I’m okay with a store prohibiting open carry. It’s their right to do so.

I also want to point out that if this bill does become law, it will not change a business’ right to prohibit firearms.

Last edited:

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I've never been a fan of OC, but I don't mind others doing it. If the SHTF, odds are they'll be a target before me, giving me more time to react or get the hell out of dodge.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    Just saw a news flash, Louisiana Governor vetos gun bill. I think this refers to nor requiring a permit to conceal carry. The 2 line quote mentions that in the 2nd line.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It was a while back when constitution carry was being discussed . Someone had accused someone walking down the road of firing shots at his truck . Leo found no bullet holes and no cases and driver would not press charges but because he had a gun and didn't have a cc license they were able to arrest him . The leo said since there was no evidence of a crime if there was constitution carry they would have had to let him go .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

So guy shooting randomly in the middle of city = Good

LEO arresting guy shooting randomly for another law violation that he can prove = Bad

Makes perfect sense. Maybe the officers through talking to both parties knew the guy with the gun was lying and probably shot the round but just couldn’t find the evidence to prove it, so instead of violating his rights and charging him they used the laws on the books to arrest him and keep him from doing stupid things the rest of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    So guy shooting randomly in the middle of city = Good

LEO arresting guy shooting randomly for another law violation that he can prove = Bad

Makes perfect sense. Maybe the officers through talking to both parties knew the guy with the gun was lying and probably shot the round but just couldn’t find the evidence to prove it, so instead of violating his rights and charging him they used the laws on the books to arrest him and keep him from doing stupid things the rest of the night.

If I remember correctly the officer had no proof he shot randomly and the witness refused to swear to It and press charges . With no bullet holes or empty cases and no witnesses how can we say he was shooting randomly ? What happened to innocent until proven to guilty . The officer knew there was no probable cause to arrest him for shooting the gun . But since the officer said he believes he shot the gun we are going to say he did shoot the gun ? The whole point is the officer said he wasn't for constitutional carry because sometimes they have no evidence against someone , (and then he described the instance we are discussing now,) but get to arrest them because they have a concealed weapon . As I said some LEO are against constitution carry because it keeps them from arresting people they feel need aresting but have no evidence they did anything wrong other than carry a pink gun under his shirt . That is not my opinion that is what the officer said . Now if the officer has changed his thinking and now doesn't believe it's worth violating everyone else's rights to be able to arrest a few that they have no other probable cause to arrest then he should say so . If that officer is against constitution carry maybe he should tell us he is and why . After all he/ she is entitled to their opinion .

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    He’s just trying to prove me wrong. Dragging a business and semantics into it doesn’t quite do it but he’s welcome to ignore the point.

No, I’m just making the point since you asked. There ARE places you can legally carry concealed, but can’t open carry.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If I remember correctly the officer had no proof he shot randomly and the witness refused to swear to It and press charges . With no bullet holes or empty cases and no witnesses how can we say he was shooting randomly ? What happened to innocent until proven to guilty . The officer knew there was no probable cause to arrest him for shooting the gun . But since the officer said he believes he shot the gun we are going to say he did shoot the gun ? The whole point is the officer said he wasn't for constitutional carry because sometimes they have no evidence against someone , (and then he described the instance we are discussing now,) but get to arrest them because they have a concealed weapon . As I said some LEO are against constitution carry because it keeps them from arresting people they feel need aresting but have no evidence they did anything wrong other than carry a pink gun under his shirt . That is not my opinion that is what the officer said . Now if the officer has changed his thinking and now doesn't believe it's worth violating everyone else's rights to be able to arrest a few that they have no other probable cause to arrest then he should say so . If that officer is against constitution carry maybe he should tell us he is and why . After all he/ she is entitled to their opinion .

No, you answered your own question while trying to make
    The officer out to be a bad guy. He didn’t get arrested for the shooting because the officer couldn’t prove it, even though he believed the complainant to be more truthful. Therefore he arrested him for the thing he had evidence of and therefore violated none of his rights. It’s not really hard to comprehend if you look at it without bias. The problem would be if he arrested the guy for illegal discharge without any evidence and based solely on what he believed.

And for the record, I’m not for or against constitutional carry. But if held down and forced to answer, I’m more on the side of constitutional carry.

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    No, you answered your own question while trying to make
    The officer out to be a bad guy. He didn’t get arrested for the shooting because the officer couldn’t prove it, even though he believed the complainant to be more truthful. Therefore he arrested him for the thing he had evidence of and therefore violated none of his rights. It’s not really hard to comprehend if you look at it without bias. The problem would be if he arrested the guy for illegal discharge without any evidence and based solely on what he believed.

And for the record, I’m not for or against constitutional carry. But if held down and forced to answer, I’m more on the side of constitutional carry.

I didn't say the officer was a bad cop /guy , I said the officer at that time was against permitless carry and the officer used the man he thought shot a gun but he couldn't prove it as an example of why he was against permitless carry . Now if that officer has changed his opinion that's great but he should not be ashamed of once being against it . Peoples opinions often change as they mature . Hopefully more anti permitless carry leo and politicians will change their opinions .
    For the record I never said the man's rights were violated ,I never said it was an unwarranted arrest and I said the police officer did not arrest him for discharge of the weapon because the officer admitted he had no proof the man broke any law other than the concealed weapon . If you think arresting someone for concealed carry with out a permit makes him a bad cop that's on you I never said or implied such a thing . I never implied cops who are against permitless carry are bad cops .

Last edited:

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    "Most of the restaurants I go to. Within 1000' of a school zone"

Another law that needs to be repealed or corrected, 100' should be sufficient.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    "Most of the restaurants I go to. Within 1000' of a school zone"

Another law that needs to be repealed or corrected, 100' should be sufficient.

Ok I didn't make my post too clear. Most of the restaurants serve booze and you can't open carry there you need to have a CHP or be LE. And you have to have a CHP to be within the 1000' of a gun free school zone. We can be within the 1000' just not on school property. Without the CHP you stop in front of a school on the street say for a flat tire. You get out with a gun it's illegal without a CHP

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    One possibility, and I'm sure that many on this board won't admit it, but alot of people do... Concealed is concealed. Conceal it well and keep your mouth shut. If something happens that you need it, the least of your concerns will be how you were carrying it.

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    Opelousas: Local law predates state preemption. If I remember correctly they declined to prosecute the last time they had the opportunity.

Remember though, those local laws which predate state preemption are still subject to the state constitution (even though some local officials act as if their laws are exempt.) If Opelousas declined prosecution in their most recent case, this could be why. A prosecution would probably result in the law being declared unconstitutional, thus eliminating reasonable suspicion for a stop, and probable cause for an arrest based solely on open carry.

Since bearing arms in Louisiana is a fundamental right, some kind of carry must be allowed in this state without a permit, because if you need a permit, it is not a right. Currently, since conceal carry requires a permit, any local law which has a blanket ban on open carry violates Article 1, sec. 11 of the Louisiana State Constitution. Localities can't have it both ways; at least not constitutionally.

An open carrier was arrested in Opelousas years ago and sued in federal court over the arrest; he prevailed. I don't know the particulars of the case beyond that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom