Louisiana Constitutional Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lowbrow

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    New Orleans
    I just saw on Survival Blog that Constitutional Carry is supposed to be legal in La. starting Jan 1. Can anyone explain what this means in regards to actually being put into practice? What implications does it have for CCLs in the state - any at all?

I wish there was a FAQ for this topic - but I have been able to find almost no info.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    Wont be anything that will counteract existing laws by my book. On the other hand if anyone wants to be the guinea pig to see how it works and file the first lawsuit feel free to try it, but I'm not doing it.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Wont be anything that will counteract existing laws by my book. On the other hand if anyone wants to be the guinea pig to see how it works and file the first lawsuit feel free to try it, but I'm not doing it.
    THIS!
    Do NOT try this as it is a FALSE rumor! The change in the wording of the LA Constitution only effects NEW laws and they way they are evaluated and has NO EFFECT ON EXISTING LAWS (unless you want to be the test case and challenge the existing law)!

bluecrow76

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah I saw that yesterday also and thought about sending Rawles an email letting him know that is NOT what we voted on! I'm not sure how he screwed that one up. Hopefully no one out there runs with that information without verifying that it is indeed false.

Lowbrow

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    New Orleans
    Yeah I saw that yesterday also and thought about sending Rawles an email letting him know that is NOT what we voted on! I'm not sure how he screwed that one up. Hopefully no one out there runs with that information without verifying that it is indeed false.

Yep, that's why I'm asking. I want to find out the facts about this and what it actually means. My impression (from what I actually voted on) was that we merely were strengthening our RKBA in La., and nothing much more than that. But when I saw Rawles' post I was a bit surprised and thought I might have missed something. But apparently he misinterpreted things.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    So you are saying "in the official capacity of an active duty sworn law enforcement officer", that you would arrest someone for open carrying? That is, if they are 100% within the law?

No... I said that if they were carrying a concealed handgun without a permit (Constitutional or "Vermont Carry" style) that I would arrest someone. That's a legit charge under Title 14.

ETA: in the rural area that I work, I deal with OC'er often. My usual response is "keep your hand off it while we're talking and we won't have problems."

It's not my job to be the ATF, and I don't run every gun I get my hands on or disarm every person while I'm talking to them. I'm not out there to be a gun Nazi or step on people's constitutional rights.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    So you are saying "in the official capacity of an active duty sworn law enforcement officer", that you would arrest someone for open carrying? That is, if they are 100% within the law?

Nick,

I believe he's referring to someone carrying concealed without a CHP. At least that's what I thought he meant.

JR1572

I didn't see his post until I posted my post.

Last edited:

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    No... I said that if they were carrying a concealed handgun without a permit (Constitutional or "Vermont Carry" style) that I would arrest someone. That's a legit charge under Title 14.

Nick,

I believe he's referring to someone carrying concealed without a CHP. At least that's what I thought he meant.

JR1572

I didn't see his post until I posted my post.

Yup...

THanks for clarifying that. With the constant flow of nut jobs lately, I wanted to make sure they were properly informed that if they play stupid games, they win stupid prizes!

If I run across any, I will be sure to let them know that it is shorter to get to Hammond if they take Hwy 22...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom