Louisiana DMV data breach

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I wonder if kids will be affected by this. We got my 13yo son his ID couple months ago from the omv.
    From what I've read, it's anyone with any kind of driver's license or ID from the state. Data stolen could include name, birthdate, social security number.

I'm curious if age is shown when someone runs a credit check on you? I'd hate to see someone charge a bunch of stuff using my children's credit.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Even if you don't have your credit info frozen, at least have something that monitors credit report access. I had someone try to open an SBA loan two years ago using my info. Got an email same day. Called SBA and a very nice gentleman told me that an application had been opened but not acted on, and based on the info he could see, it would have absolutely been flagged as likely fraudulent.

He closed the application and made internal notes that it was a fraudulent action.

Bottom line, at least sign up for credit monitoring somewhere. I get it free through Fidelity Investments. Chase also has something, but I'm only there due to being on my parents' accounts and haven't looked into the details. Work has another plan, but they keep changing companies, and it's a pain to sign up over and over.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    My concern is why did the state take a month to let everyone know there been a breach. The data thieves have had a month to sell or use all of the data. The state owes us an explanation as to why it took them a monht to notify us. Will freezing your credit now do any good or is it too late?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    My concern is why did the state take a month to let everyone know there been a breach. The data thieves have had a month to sell or use all of the data. The state owes us an explanation as to why it took them a monht to notify us. Will freezing your credit now do any good or is it too late?
    If I had to guess cause they tried to work every way they could to not have egg in there face and inform us that they were hacked by Russia … looked for a scape goat… and who knows the “dmv hack” might be the scape goat for a more serious higher level security hack that they couldn’t tell us about … lol ohhh the rabbit hole

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Agreed - the state should have made everyone aware sooner.

Freezing your credit is probably unnecessary. Credit monitoring is likely sufficient. There are plenty of free and paid services that do this.

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    It's probably not necessary and it won't do anything about your data being stolen from the state's systems.
    I can not agree more.
    This event is another of many and should remind every individual that they need to do whatever they can to protect themselves.

No VPN could protect one from this attack, certainly, but it's yet another display of the ever-present threat of cyber crime.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Agreed - the state should have made everyone aware sooner.

Freezing your credit is probably unnecessary. Credit monitoring is likely sufficient. There are plenty of free and paid services that do this.
    My wife and I made the calls and it was quick and painless. Given that it’s so easy to do and being recommended as a necessary measure, what is your rationale for not freezing your credit? I’m assuming you know what you’re talking about and have a good reason for disagreeing with what I’ve heard and read repeatedly and what both of the banking institutions I deal with have told me. Why would we not if it’s so easy to do and so recommended?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    It's probably not necessary and it won't do anything about your data being stolen from the state's systems.
    Hope to hear back from him on this but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t suggesting a VPN would protect you from someone hacking a separate entity. Anyone that uninformed likely wouldn’t know to use a VPN in the first place.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have long maintained that the "current" internet should be scrapped and reworked with modern day security to stop all of these thieving scumbags and nee'r do wells. The amount of money it would cost to re-do the internet (though very expensive), is minuscule to what hacking and stealing costs globally.

This is a long read but a good one about the creation of the internet and how the lack of security was evident early on. PSSST! Al Gore (the inventor of the internet), is not mentioned once. Go figure.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My wife and I made the calls and it was quick and painless. Given that it’s so easy to do and being recommended as a necessary measure, what is your rationale for not freezing your credit? I’m assuming you know what you’re talking about and have a good reason for disagreeing with what I’ve heard and read repeatedly and what both of the banking institutions I deal with have told me. Why would we not if it’s so easy to do and so recommended?
    The rationale is that it's likely not necessary as most people won't be targets of criminals trying to open new credit accounts with the stolen data. As you know, you have to call all three agencies individually and then if you want to unfreeze your credit, you have to do the same thing over again. If you don't plan on opening new credit cards, auto loans, or what not in the foreseeable future, it's not a big deal. But it's easy to forget that you've added freezes with the bureaus when opening a new CC.

There is a net positive to freezing your accounts, but it's also probably not necessary.
    Hope to hear back from him on this but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t suggesting a VPN would protect you from someone hacking a separate entity. Anyone that uninformed likely wouldn’t know to use a VPN in the first place.
    Someone responded above to this thread that some think his VPN is unnecessary. A VPN has nothing to do with data being stolen from the state.

Aside from that, I'd argue that for most people, a VPN is unnecessary as well in most cases.

I use a VPN when I'm on public WiFi, and that's about it.

Top Bottom