Louisiana gun ban bill on Tuesday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downrange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    On Tuesday, May 12th, the Criminal Justice Committee of the LOUISIANA legislature will hear testimony and vote on New Orleans Rep. Richmond's bill to BAN most semi-auto long arms as "assault" weapons. This is HB 387 and you can read the text of the bill here:

www.http://legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=643334

Starting Monday morning, May 11th, if you disagree with the proposed ban, please contact the following representatives if they cover your district:

http://www.legiscon.com/htbin/web_member.com?35R27

At this point in the legislative process it does not do much good to hound your own legislator if they aren't on the committee hearing the bill on Tuesday.

If you are having problems with any of the links, go to the legislative website at www.legis.state.la.us and you can navigate around to learn who your own representatives are and how to contact them if they are on the committee.

Please be polite to whoever answers the phone, the gun ban was not their idea, just tell them your name, that you are in Representative XX's district, that you understand the representative will be hearing the bill in committee and you wanted to have them know your opposition to HB 387. Don't keep them on the phone forever, you've already done what you need, please clear the phone for the next caller.

This won't take long and is a meaningful way to be heard. Ranting among your friends may make you feel good, but this will actually make a difference. Don't let the "other guy" carry the load for you on this important issue.

Thanks,
    Precision Firearms & Indoor Range

downrange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    The links to the appropriate page were cut and pasted, they worked for me the first time. I'll confess to not being a Forum guru, if someone else can post links that are more functional please do so in order to get this message out.

As noted, even if the links don't work, you can log directly in at www.legis.state.la.us and navigate around to find your representative and their contact information.

downrange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Ok, maybe this will help, this is the list of the representatives that are on the committee that will be hearing this bill on Tuesday, May 12, 2009.

Rep. Wooton, Chairman
    Baldone, Vice-Chairman
    Burrell
    Ernst(Temp)
    Guillory, E.L.
    Guillory, M.
    Hazel
    Howard
    Lopinto
    Norton
    Perry
    Schroder
    Smith, Gary
    Templet
    White

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Just wrote Rep. Baldone. I am not in his district but he is from Houma and he is the Vice chairman. I wrote to him last year about this same bill and explained how much of a dipshit Richmond is. He agreed and did not support the bill. I think he feels the same way now.

bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    list of the guns Center Fire Rifles: Benelli R1; Browning BAR, Mark II Safari autoloaders, Browning Pump Rifle; Colt, Armalite, Les Baer, etc. Match Rifles; DSA Model SA58; Fabrique Nationale FAL; Harrington and Richardson Models 340, 360; H&K 770, 2000, SL6, SR9, 300, 630, 91, 93; Marlin Camp Carbine, Model 992; Mitchell Model LW-9; M-1 Carbine, all makes and models; Reising Model 60; Remington 7400, 740, 74, 4, 8 semi-autos; Remington Model 7600, 760 pump-actions; Ruger Deerfield, Mini-14, Ranch Rifle, Mini-30; Springfield M1A, Match, Super Match, SAR-48, SAR-4800, SAR-8; Valmet Hunter; Winchester Models 100, 1905, 1907, 1910; .22 Rimfire Rifles AMT Hunter; Anschutz Model 525 Deluxe; Armscorp Model 20C; AR-7 Explorer and Henry U.S.; Beretta Neos; Browning Buckmark; Charles Daly Field Grade, Superior Grade; CZ Model 511, 611; Daisy Models 2203, 2213; Harrington and Richardson Model 700; Ithaca X5-C, X15; Iver Johnson Trailblazer; Mauser Model 105; Mossberg Models 152, 350, 352; Reising Leatherneck; Remington Models 597, Nylon 77, 522; Ruger 10/22; Savage Models 64, 7, 1903, 1909; Marlin Models 522, 7000, 795, 795SS, 70; Thompson/Center Classic Benchmark; Weatherby Mark XXII; Winchester Models 77, 490.

This ban would include pump-action rifles on the list of banned weapons, and would extend to .22 rimfire rifles as well. Do you like your 10/22? Tough beans, Cedric Richmond thinks it’s an assault weapon.

I pulled this link from NRA-ILA, where they also have all the contact information for your state reps in Louisiana. Call and email them now – make it clear that you do not support HB 68.

Note: All State Representatives can be reached during the week in Baton Rouge at (225) 342-6945

House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee:

Chairman Ernest Wooton (R-Belle Chasse)
    larep105@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (504) 393-5649

Vice-Chairman Damon Baldone (D-Houma)
    larep053@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (985) 876-8872

State Representative Roy Burrell (D-Shreveport)
    larep002@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (318) 676-7137

State Representative Don Cazayoux (D-New Roads)
    larep18@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (225) 638-8725

State Representative Elbert Guillory (D-Opelousas)
    larep040@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (337) 943-2457

State Representative Mickey Guillory (D-Eunice)
    larep041@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (337) 457-0194

State Representative Chris Hazel (R-Pineville)
    hazelc@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (318) 767-6082

State Representative Frankie Howard (R-Many)
    howardf@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (318) 256-4135

State Representative Joseph Lopinto (R-Metairie)
    lopintoj@legis.state.l.aus
    District Office (504) 456-3806

State Representative Nick Lorusso (R-New Orleans)
    larep094@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (504) 483-4711

State Representative Barbara Norton (D-Baton Rouge)
    nortonb@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (225) 342-6945

State Representative John Schroder (R-Covington)
    schrodej@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (985) 893-7272

State Representative Gary Smith (D-Norco)
    larep56@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (985) 764-9122

State Representative Ricky Templet (R-Gretna)
    templetr@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (504) 361-6013

State Representative Bodi White (R)
    larep064@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (225) 791-2199

Ads by Google
    Ceramic Armor Plate
    SiC and Al2O3 ceramic armor plate NIJ 0101.04 Level III, III+, and IV
    www.armorusa.comBody Armor?
    Looking For Body Armor? Find it Here. More Resouces & Info.
    cproducts.comHow To Make Body Armor
    Find more sources/options for what your looking for
    www.webcrawler.comBody Armor
    Hunting For Body Armor? Good Deals And Quality Service.
    alcovegallery.com

Filed under: gun control

« Poor ad placement NYC Lawsuit against gun makers dismissed »No Responses to “Assault Weapons ban in Louisiana”
    Ambulance Driver, on April 30th, 2008 at 10:27 Said:
    I predict it will go absolutely nowhere. Cedric Richmond is one those idiot Democrats from Fallujah on the Mississippi, and in the post-Katrina era, the rest of the state doesn’t have to kiss their asses any more.

They have to kiss ours.

There are way too many hunting enthusiasts and country boys in the Louisiana legislature to let this bill go anywhere. They’ll smile tolerantly, surreptitiously roll their eyes at “those New Orleans politicians,” debate the bill briefly…

…and then kill it dead.

Alcibiades McZombie, on April 30th, 2008 at 14:58 Said:
    I suppose they mean modern “sporter” Browning BARs and not actual WWI weapons. I guess they are complete bastards after all.

DJK, on April 30th, 2008 at 17:36 Said:
    Here’s all the emails addresses together for a quick copy and paste

larep105@legis.state.la.us, larep053@legis.state.la.us,
    larep002@legis.state.la.us, larep18@legis.state.la.us,
    larep040@legis.state.la.us, larep041@legis.state.la.us,
    hazelc@legis.state.la.us, howardf@legis.state.la.u,
    s , larep094@legis.state.la.us,
    nortonb@legis.state.la.us, schrodej@legis.state.la.us,
    larep56@legis.state.la.us, templetr@legis.state.la.us,

HB68 is an absolute affront to the people of this fine state!!! I’m pretty sure if any of you vote for it, nobody will vote for you again. This is ridiculous over-legislation. How can this Cedrich Richmond think this is ok? Does he not belive in liberty and justice for all in America? He wants to ban my .22!!?!?!?!?!?! He might as well ban can openers and steak knives too!!

The people will not surrender to fear-mongering and anti-liberty tactics!

Oust Cedrich Richmond!!!

Peripatetic Engineer, on May 22nd, 2008 at 12:01 Said:
    Bill was shot down in comittee, 12 to 1. In the sound bite on TV, it was clear that Cedric didn’t know anything about weapons when he talked about magazines with a capacity of 50 caliber.

smokepole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Covington, La.
    Hb-387

This Cedric Richmond must be working for some of those anti-gun Congressman and/or the Brady Bunch. I don't think he has the mentality or knowledge to think up the names and model numbers of all those firearms he wants to ban. If he really wants to reduce crime, he needs to put more effort and energy into enforcing existing laws concerning robbery, rape, murder and drug dealing, etc. in his own back yard. These guys are trying to blame the rest of us for their own failing. They need to be stopped before some people begin to believe them. Keep vigilant. See what happens Tuesday. Signed: Smokepole

Last edited:

wrecker704

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Hammond,La
    anyone good at writting a good coppy letter to send to these people. this guy must be on the gun grabbers payrole. ban my .22 is he crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    list of the guns Center Fire Rifles: Benelli R1; Browning BAR, Mark II Safari autoloaders, Browning Pump Rifle; Colt, Armalite, Les Baer, etc. Match Rifles; DSA Model SA58; Fabrique Nationale FAL; Harrington and Richardson Models 340, 360; H&K 770, 2000, SL6, SR9, 300, 630, 91, 93; Marlin Camp Carbine, Model 992; Mitchell Model LW-9; M-1 Carbine, all makes and models; Reising Model 60; Remington 7400, 740, 74, 4, 8 semi-autos; Remington Model 7600, 760 pump-actions; Ruger Deerfield, Mini-14, Ranch Rifle, Mini-30; Springfield M1A, Match, Super Match, SAR-48, SAR-4800, SAR-8; Valmet Hunter; Winchester Models 100, 1905, 1907, 1910; .22 Rimfire Rifles AMT Hunter; Anschutz Model 525 Deluxe; Armscorp Model 20C; AR-7 Explorer and Henry U.S.; Beretta Neos; Browning Buckmark; Charles Daly Field Grade, Superior Grade; CZ Model 511, 611; Daisy Models 2203, 2213; Harrington and Richardson Model 700; Ithaca X5-C, X15; Iver Johnson Trailblazer; Mauser Model 105; Mossberg Models 152, 350, 352; Reising Leatherneck; Remington Models 597, Nylon 77, 522; Ruger 10/22; Savage Models 64, 7, 1903, 1909; Marlin Models 522, 7000, 795, 795SS, 70; Thompson/Center Classic Benchmark; Weatherby Mark XXII; Winchester Models 77, 490.

This ban would include pump-action rifles on the list of banned weapons, and would extend to .22 rimfire rifles as well. Do you like your 10/22? Tough beans, Cedric Richmond thinks it’s an assault weapon.

I pulled this link from NRA-ILA, where they also have all the contact information for your state reps in Louisiana. Call and email them now – make it clear that you do not support HB 68.

Note: All State Representatives can be reached during the week in Baton Rouge at (225) 342-6945

House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee:

Chairman Ernest Wooton (R-Belle Chasse)
    larep105@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (504) 393-5649

Vice-Chairman Damon Baldone (D-Houma)
    larep053@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (985) 876-8872

State Representative Roy Burrell (D-Shreveport)
    larep002@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (318) 676-7137

State Representative Don Cazayoux (D-New Roads)
    larep18@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (225) 638-8725

State Representative Elbert Guillory (D-Opelousas)
    larep040@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (337) 943-2457

State Representative Mickey Guillory (D-Eunice)
    larep041@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (337) 457-0194

State Representative Chris Hazel (R-Pineville)
    hazelc@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (318) 767-6082

State Representative Frankie Howard (R-Many)
    howardf@legis.state.la.us
    District Office: (318) 256-4135

State Representative Joseph Lopinto (R-Metairie)
    lopintoj@legis.state.l.aus
    District Office (504) 456-3806

State Representative Nick Lorusso (R-New Orleans)
    larep094@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (504) 483-4711

State Representative Barbara Norton (D-Baton Rouge)
    nortonb@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (225) 342-6945

State Representative John Schroder (R-Covington)
    schrodej@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (985) 893-7272

State Representative Gary Smith (D-Norco)
    larep56@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (985) 764-9122

State Representative Ricky Templet (R-Gretna)
    templetr@legis.state.la.us
    District Office (504) 361-6013

State Representative Bodi White (R)
    District Office (225) 791-2199

Ads by Google
    Ceramic Armor Plate
    SiC and Al2O3 ceramic armor plate NIJ 0101.04 Level III, III+, and IV
    www.armorusa.comBody Armor?
    Looking For Body Armor? Find it Here. More Resouces & Info.
    cproducts.comHow To Make Body Armor
    Find more sources/options for what your looking for
    www.webcrawler.comBody Armor
    Hunting For Body Armor? Good Deals And Quality Service.
    alcovegallery.com

Filed under: gun control

« Poor ad placement NYC Lawsuit against gun makers dismissed »No Responses to “Assault Weapons ban in Louisiana”
    Ambulance Driver, on April 30th, 2008 at 10:27 Said:
    I predict it will go absolutely nowhere. Cedric Richmond is one those idiot Democrats from Fallujah on the Mississippi, and in the post-Katrina era, the rest of the state doesn’t have to kiss their asses any more.

They have to kiss ours.

There are way too many hunting enthusiasts and country boys in the Louisiana legislature to let this bill go anywhere. They’ll smile tolerantly, surreptitiously roll their eyes at “those New Orleans politicians,” debate the bill briefly…

…and then kill it dead.

Alcibiades McZombie, on April 30th, 2008 at 14:58 Said:
    I suppose they mean modern “sporter” Browning BARs and not actual WWI weapons. I guess they are complete bastards after all.

Here’s all the emails addresses together for a quick copy and paste

larep105@legis.state.la.us, larep053@legis.state.la.us,
    larep002@legis.state.la.us, larep18@legis.state.la.us,
    larep040@legis.state.la.us, larep041@legis.state.la.us,
    hazelc@legis.state.la.us, howardf@legis.state.la.u,
    s , larep094@legis.state.la.us,
    nortonb@legis.state.la.us, schrodej@legis.state.la.us,
    larep56@legis.state.la.us, templetr@legis.state.la.us,

HB68 is an absolute affront to the people of this fine state!!! I’m pretty sure if any of you vote for it, nobody will vote for you again. This is ridiculous over-legislation. How can this Cedrich Richmond think this is ok? Does he not belive in liberty and justice for all in America? He wants to ban my .22!!?!?!?!?!?! He might as well ban can openers and steak knives too!!

The people will not surrender to fear-mongering and anti-liberty tactics!

Oust Cedrich Richmond!!!

Peripatetic Engineer, on May 22nd, 2008 at 12:01 Said:
    Bill was shot down in comittee, 12 to 1. In the sound bite on TV, it was clear that Cedric didn’t know anything about weapons when he talked about magazines with a capacity of 50 caliber.

Browning BAR??? How is this an assult rifle?? I have a Browning BAR that holds awapping 5 rounds. That is my deer rifle and NO ONE is taking it away from me.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    Browning BAR??? How is this an assult rifle?? I have a Browning BAR that holds awapping 5 rounds. That is my deer rifle and NO ONE is taking it away from me.

I know, most of the weapons on that list arent even remotely close to a so called "assault rifle"

the majority of the weapons up there are either considered hunting or target weapons.....

the exact kind that are rarely even used in crimes.

I thought it was cheap handguns that the homies used primarily in crime.
    not rifles.

this bill is clearly attacking hunters and recreational shooters. (white people)
    not criminals who use the cheapest nine that they can get their hands on.

and it doesnt matter what bill it is that bans guns, its still violating our rights

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    I know, most of the weapons on that list arent even remotely close to a so called "assault rifle"

the majority of the weapons up there are either considered hunting or target weapons.....

the exact kind that are rarely even used in crimes.

I thought it was cheap handguns that the homies used primarily in crime.
    not rifles.

this bill is clearly attacking hunters and recreational shooters. (white people)
    not criminals who use the cheapest nine that they can get their hands on.

and it doesnt matter what bill it is that bans guns, its still violating our rights

Yea people rarily use rifles in crime, but I don't see banning cheap handguns either. It is true that alot of guns used in crimes are "throw aways," very cheap guns that can be thrown in the trash, lake, woods, etc. after you commit a crime, but people who cant afford glocks or more expensive handguns still need to protect themselves. And if all they can afford to protect themselves is a lorcin, hi-point, raven etc. then thats all they can afford. So banning cheap hand guns isn't a good idea either.

Last edited:

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Yea people rarily use rifles in crime, but I don't see banning cheap handguns either. It is true that alot of guns used in crimes are "throw aways," very cheap guns that can be thrown in the trash, lake, woods, etc. after you commit a crime, but people who cant afford glocks or more expensive handguns still need to protect themselves. And if all they can afford to protect themselves is a lorcin, hi-point, raven etc. then thats all they can afford. So banning cheap hand guns isn't a good idea either.

+1

In fact I would go so far as to say that I believe they are banking on the people who believe or the mindset that banning guns other than those used for hunting is "common sense legislation: . It is the very reason why they include such a wide range of firearms. They'll cast a wide net and hope that people who want to seem worldly and wise will say things like; "I don't think that we need to ban the guns for hunting, but who could possibly NEED an assault weapon". Incrementalism 101.

bhp9mm

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 26, 2007
    slidell,la
    and all the remingtons on there like the 7600 and 7400 only hold 5 rounds thats just crazy the ak or sks is not on the list and the 22 handguns they don't list the ruger but they have the buckmark and beretta neos

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville

I know, thats why I said no matter what kind of ban it is, its still wrong.

the fact that they are banning weapons that are used for hunting,target, and otherwise rarely ever used in crime PROVES that they dont want to solve crime.

they want to get rid of some of the guns that can better be utilized in revolution. or guns that dont even make sense in banning

scoped hunting rifles in their eyes are "deadly sniper rifles" but of course if they just came out and said that they would infuriate hunters and draw nationwide attention

if they can remove the ability to hunt. it would defeat the purpose for the people who believe firearms are only good for people who hunt crowd,and with hunters gone they would see no reason for people to own a gun at all

Last edited:
    Top Bottom