louisiana natives, help a city boy out. do I shoot this thing?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    nope, I can't say that i've ever heard them, but if they keep bugs n snakes away then they are welcome. neighbor hit wife up on fb and said she let them out and saw them at our place.
    she raises them for the eggs apparently.

ah well, learn something new everyday.

emperor, i dont live in lafayette.

crazy_mike

Cautious
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Lafayette,la
    i live in lafayette, and let me tell you go on the northside of town, you will see chickens roosters and guineas. now according to city ordiance you are only allowed hens and they are not allowed to roam free. However people still purchase what they want and do what they want an no one enforces the law, but place a yard sign in your yard and watch how fast the cops show up lol

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    My uncle used them to warn if anyone was getting close to his still. Ain't no guvment man gonna sneak up on ya with them things around :hi5:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    i live in lafayette, and let me tell you go on the northside of town, you will see chickens roosters and guineas. now according to city ordiance you are only allowed hens and they are not allowed to roam free. However people still purchase what they want and do what they want an no one enforces the law, but place a yard sign in your yard and watch how fast the cops show up lol

Wait! What? Selective enforecment? No!:doh:

Ahh, the days of yore!

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    nope, I can't say that i've ever heard them, but if they keep bugs n snakes away then they are welcome. neighbor hit wife up on fb and said she let them out and saw them at our place.
    she raises them for the eggs apparently.

ah well, learn something new everyday.

emperor, i dont live in lafayette.

I was going to say they probably belong to a neighbor. I wouldn't want to see a fued between you and them over birds but if they start crapping all over the place I'd ask them to pen 'em up.

Now if you do happen to come accross a killed guenea bird(male or female)I'd just make a good stew, gumbo or fricassee with it.;) :chuckles:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Medicine of Course...

My uncle used them to warn if anyone was getting close to his still. Ain't no guvment man gonna sneak up on ya with them things around :hi5:

Shhhhhhhh...HUSH....BIG MOUTH lol

Lizard Creek Liquid Courage:}

IMG_2844.jpg
    [/url][/IMG]

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    My uncle gave me 6 of them once to keep in the yard. I expressed my concerns about my black lab (Georgia was her name:wtc:) and how she'd get along with them. He claimed that 'dogs and Guinea Hens naturally get along'. (:confused:)

Long story short, it took Georgia three days to lay waste to his claim- and two of the Guinea Hens. In fact, she walked past the window with one in her mouth while I was on the phone with him. :doh:

The rest of them found a new- and safer- home. :)

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    My uncle gave me 6 of them once to keep in the yard. I expressed my concerns about my black lab (Georgia was her name:wtc:) and how she'd get along with them. He claimed that 'dogs and Guinea Hens naturally get along'. (:confused:)

Long story short, it took Georgia three days to lay waste to his claim- and two of the Guinea Hens. In fact, she walked past the window with one in her mouth while I was on the phone with him. :doh:

The rest of them found a new- and safer- home. :)

LOL i almost lost one of my chickens to my lab I thought he would be ok too lol I should have known better since he is damn near a bird dog as it is. A couple stiches, couple of corrective actions on my part and they are begining to co-excist a little better. At least they can fly better now to get away but if he wanted to I'm sure he could catch them lol...

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Does anyone on the board actually have some and raise them? I have always thought they would be the answer to the bad tick problem we have because they are supposed to be deadly on those buggars. Just don't know very much about them (other than they make a lot of racket).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dusty84
    Top Bottom