Low light dilemma... VX-II 50mm vs VX-3 40mm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogHunter1203

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    SWLA
    Need some advice

I bought one of midway's blemished leupold scopes (VX-II 4-12x50) the other day to put on my Rem 700 .270 after I robbed it of the old Vari X III which now resides on my AR. The problem is I just got an offer for a VX-3 4.5-14 x 40 for a hell of a price; however, it's still more expensive than the vxii by about a Benjamin.

My question is... for a fair balance of longer range (300-500 yds) and low light hunting, should I keep the VX-II or take offer on the VX-3?

I'm very much a novice when it comes to optics so any advice would be great. Thanks.

Boutdoors

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Lacombe
    My experience with Leupold is they suck for gathering light.Tuff as nails but a Nikon or Simmons or Bushnell etc. for 1/3 the price will gather as much or more light.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    The 50mm will give you a larger exit pupil which is going to be nice to have on the 12x. Is it a VX-3 or VX-III. There is a difference is why I ask. VX-3 replaced the VX-III with better lens coatings. Light transmission (glass doesn't gather light it transmits it) will be a tad better in the newer version. However, a smaller exit pupil, no matter how good the glass and its coating are, the worse the performance the optic will appear to have.

Top Bottom