Lowers and LPKs?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Lowers:
    My understanding is that most decent lower receivers come down to your preference in roll mark. That said, some guys have had trouble with Noveske being out of spec- personally, mine is fine (Forged Gen1 Blem). I've also enjoyed my LRB and would gladly buy another one (http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8913&dir=700|863|1068). Aero Precision has a good reputation, as well, and is priced nice.

LPKs:
    I have no reason to use anything but a milspec trigger. Spike's or PSA can be had for relatively cheap, but I've used Daniel Defense in all my guns.

There are a lot of billet and polymer lowers that have been giving people problems. Bolt catch issues, mag issues, etc...

Forged lowers are usually g2g

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Right on. I've never even considered buying a polymer lower, and I have yet to hear anything to convince me that billet provides any advantage over forged, other than subjective aesthetics.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Billet lowers are great for custom runs. We are doing 3 special projects right now, 3 different logos. I am able to use bulk pricing to get the costs down on all 3 projects. If I were using forged it wouldn't look nearly as good and the cost would actually be higher. Also, the feel of a billet vs forged is something you have to experience to appreciate.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Sign me up!

But... but... it's got a mag well grip

jcl9847c.jpg

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Billet lowers are great for custom runs. We are doing 3 special projects right now, 3 different logos. I am able to use bulk pricing to get the costs down on all 3 projects. If I were using forged it wouldn't look nearly as good and the cost would actually be higher. Also, the feel of a billet vs forged is something you have to experience to appreciate.

Agreed. I'm not knocking your lowers- I've never seen them, much less handled them. You are also offering yours at a very reasonable price. I appreciate some of the custom stuff that I see guys doing with them, it's just not my first choice.

Jack- WTF is that? I feel dumber for having seen it.

I recently came across this (http://www.americantactical.us/page/hybrid.html) which seems like a step in the right direction for polymer lowers.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Agreed. I'm not knocking your lowers- I've never seen them, much less handled them. You are also offering yours at a very reasonable price. I appreciate some of the custom stuff that I see guys doing with them, it's just not my first choice.

Jack- WTF is that? I feel dumber for having seen it.

I recently came across this (http://www.americantactical.us/page/hybrid.html) which seems like a step in the right direction for polymer lowers.

Can we say Crack... doesn't matter what insert they put in if the polymer cracks around it.

NFA are the best polymer lowers I have seen, and I really don't push them hard, I do sell them though. Their is another company out there with good Polymer lowers but their name escapes me, they look better than NFA because they take the time to remove all the flashing, but they are not any better, but they have only sold a few hundred lowers, maybe they hit a thousand by now.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not defending the Omni, because just like your lowers, I've never seen, handled, shot, nor read an objective review on one. It's not even clear whether they are available yet. It's advertised as "strength of a billet lower"...

That said, why do you think it would crack?

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    How do you tell if a Lower is made to true mil-spec?
    I think the RR lower I just built is a little on the tight side around the take down pins and the mag well.

ETA: I'm not saying the RR being a little tight is a bad thing it just got me thinking about what specs are used.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Does it drop pmags freely?

Didn't try any pmags but outta 6) aluminum mags only one doesn't drop free. I may stick with the Rock River lowers but just wanting to learn more about what specs are used and by who.

I got my lowers down to Rock River, Spikes, JP, Yankee Hill and a couple others.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Didn't try any pmags but outta 6) aluminum mags only one doesn't drop free. I may stick with the Rock River lowers but just wanting to learn more about what specs are used and by who.

I got my lowers down to Rock River, Spikes, JP, Yankee Hill and a couple others.

The polymer mags don't drop as well as the metal ones, if it doesn't drop pmags or troy battle mags, you've too tight. If they drop free, see if pressure on the mags can make them drop out when they've already been inserted all the way in. If they do, the well is too loose. I'm sure that there is an exact size, but functionally speaking, that is how it should work.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not defending the Omni, because just like your lowers, I've never seen, handled, shot, nor read an objective review on one. It's not even clear whether they are available yet. It's advertised as "strength of a billet lower"...

That said, why do you think it would crack?

I actually like polymer lowers, just that brand has a reputation of separating from those that have gotten their hands on them. There are good polymer lowers on the market, and some not so good. I got one in as a transfer that wasn't square... it bowed and was kind of curved at the same time, I am sure you have seen a board do that...

Top Bottom