LSU's steps to being safer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirty dan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Why special training for campus? I'd bet that there are plenty of licensed CCW "armed idiots" at the mall everyday of the year and we don't seem to have a problem there. If they can pass the CCW carry course that everyone else is required to pass, they should be allowed to carry on campus.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Actually there are groups that now offer force on force classes as well as active shooter response to civillians, while by no means perfect they do offer the opportunity to evaluate people's capabilities under stress.

I'm fully aware.

The point I'm trying take is that they are not capable of coming close to how hectic the situation will be inside a school/college with people running and screaming for there lives pushing past you etc. The best force on force classes still don't come close to these types of scenarios. Not to say they aren't good some are very specific on what they teach for real life situations. Trouble is that none come close to what any of these shootings had. They would have to hire a whole civil war enactment crew just to get relatively close.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    X "Who, exactly, do you blame for this tragedy? How can it not be guns?"

The biggest issue we, as gun owners, will ever face, is this mindset.

Next time an arson burns down a home, we should ban fire.
    Next time a murderer drowns a child, we should ban water.
    Next time a drunk driver kills someone, we should ban vehicles.
    Next time a plane hits a building, we should ban aircraft.
    Next time Blue Bell poisons everyone, we should ban ice cream.

That all sounds ridiculous, right?

But every time there is a shooting, the gun is to blame, rather than the psychotic maniac.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Now amount of training will ever be enough for these types of situations the best classes aren't even close enough to replicating it..
    The police don't exactly get to train for this perfectly either, or at least most departments, but they are responsible for running in there. Sure it's a lot different causes they go in in teams, but some advanced training for everyday civilians would certainly be better than none.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    The police don't exactly get to train for this perfectly either, or at least most departments, but they are responsible for running in there. Sure it's a lot different causes they go in in teams, but some advanced training for everyday civilians would certainly be better than none.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

What kind of classes or even advanced classes would help with this type of situation?

The best case scenario would be someone charging in and shooting him at point blank range would it not?

If that's the case someone qualifying at 7 yards for a ccw is the least of my worries. I'd be grateful for the time they give/gave instead of a open shooting gallery.

I have more than just a ccw under my belt in courses but anyone capable of carrying should

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Having student carry firearms on a campus in hopes they will stop an active shooter is a disaster waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

You are correct but most officers who work for major departments get on the job training dealing with shootings etc.. There are no classes out there that prepare you to actually get shot at or dealing with true life or death situations. It might show that you can shoot with an elevated heart rate and if you get a true adrenaline dump in a training class then you probably shouldn't be trying to engage an active shooter in the first place. That's just my opinion though.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Having student carry firearms on a campus in hopes they will stop an active shooter is a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree. I think in more cases than not it would just be a bad plan. That being said, if you decided to go back to school right now (at a large school like LSU,) would you want to have a weapon or another force multiplier to protect yourself? What do you think a solution would be to prevent these shootings or at least minimalise losses?
    You are correct but most officers who work for major departments get on the job training dealing with shootings etc.. There are no classes out there that prepare you to actually get shot at or dealing with true life or death situations. It might show that you can shoot with an elevated heart rate and if you get a true adrenaline dump in a training class then you probably shouldn't be trying to engage an active shooter in the first place. That's just my opinion though.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. It's just really hard to prepare for those types of things. First responders plan to respond to these incidents as opposed to planning on being there when it happens.

I think we can all agree that someone else with a gun in a room full of people running around with an active shooter wouldn't help in most cases. But what I keep thinking back to is what I would do in that situation. I'd personally like a way to defend myself if a situation like that ever arose, but now it seems the best bet is hiding and running like hell if an opportunity presents itself.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I agree. I think in more cases than not it would just be a bad plan. That being said, if you decided to go back to school right now (at a large school like LSU,) would you want to have a weapon or another force multiplier to protect yourself? What do you think a solution would be to prevent these shootings or at least minimalise losses?

Yeah that's what I was getting at. It's just really hard to prepare for those types of things. First responders plan to respond to these incidents as opposed to planning on being there when it happens.

I think we can all agree that someone else with a gun in a room full of people running around with an active shooter wouldn't help in most cases. But what I keep thinking back to is what I would do in that situation. I'd personally like a way to defend myself if a situation like that ever arose, but now it seems the best bet is hiding and running like hell if an opportunity presents itself.

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

I would just go to class in uniform lol

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

Is that Bloomberg's new slogan?

Having student [citizens] carry firearms on a campus in hopes they will stop an active shooter [threat] is a disaster waiting to happen.

Same argument the anti's use.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I would just go to class in uniform lol

Thought you'd say that. So why you and not other people? I have friends who are 21 currently and are cops... And they just became officers recently and haven't been through extensive training, yet they can now carry on campus legally. Seems kinda not right that they can have the opportunity or chance to defend themselves if something arises, yet those of us who do not want to be police cannot. Thoughts?

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Thought you'd say that. So why you and not other people? I have friends who are 21 currently and are cops... And they just became officers recently and haven't been through extensive training, yet they can now carry on campus legally. Seems kinda not right that they can have the opportunity or chance to defend themselves if something arises, yet those of us who do not want to be police cannot. Thoughts?

--Sent From My Galaxy S6

And I knew that's why you asked. Because this is my job and this is what I do for a living. I can't answer any better than that.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Why would we lose a RIGHT just because we are on college campus?

The same argument for lack of training would apply anywhere else people are carrying.
    Where are all the reports of armed citizens shooting bystanders at malls, in theaters, on the street, etc?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Is that Bloomberg's new slogan?

Having student [citizens] carry firearms on a campus in hopes they will stop an active shooter [threat] is a disaster waiting to happen.

Same argument the anti's use.

If you feel I'm anti guns then great. I don't know you do I?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

The same argument for lack of training would apply anywhere else people are carrying.
    Where are all the reports of armed citizens shooting bystanders at malls, in theaters, on the street, etc?

You will have to ask someone that makes the laws. And I agree with the lack of training, it's scary isn't it.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

And I never said citizens would be randomly shooting people so maybe that wasn't directed at me

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom