M&P 9c or Glock 19?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Dude, I am not tying to be a dick, but there is some serious fail in that. You are not used to your carry gun's trigger, and you can shoot any caliber gun? https://www.google.com/search?q=.454...3;1024;768

Never shot one of those in a 1911, but shot one in a revolver. And I must say there is a big difference from my carry gun.
    what i was saying is i can shoot my 1911.... then i can pick up my buddys S&W .40 and weather or not im comfortable with them is not the point i am making, the point is that after shooting any gun, i can pick up my sr9c and feel comfortable and i dont feel like i need to be as comfortable with my carry gun, i cant carry my gun on me while im working due to the type of job i work, so it stays in my truck 8-9 hours a day, so during those 8-9 hours the chances of me being able to use my firearm in an emergency is highly unlikely

here is my final defense for the ruger SR9c, if its good enough for hickok45, then ill take it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT1q1C_PnIY

Just wanted to apologize for that post. I love to argue politics, gun choices and such, but I think I was a bit out of line here. My bad. And my editing sucks...

Last edited:

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Anyways, I have a new question. I've been waffling over 9mm or .40. I want 9mm to shoot competions, but I wouldn't mind having another .40. Does the Glock 23 with a 9mm barrel shoot as well as a Glock 19? I've decided to get a "compact" Glock, btw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Anyways, I have a new question. I've been waffling over 9mm or .40. I want 9mm to shoot competions, but I wouldn't mind having another .40. Does the Glock 23 with a 9mm barrel shoot as well as a Glock 19? I've decided to get a "compact" Glock, btw.

i was in the same exact position a month or two ago. I actually fired one with the conversion barrel, and I didn't notice a big difference- but I DID shoot the G19 better. Maybe it was in my head, because mechanically I'm pretty sure they were identical at that point.

That being said, I went G19. Extra rounds and faster follow ups trumped a small fraction of an inch- just my personal preference, not starting a riot here.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    check out an expanded .40 and a 9mm round. the difference is so negligible that you'll probably rather have a couple more rounds in the mag.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    13 vs 15 rounds, not a big difference in my mind for any situation not involving the storming of a drug lord's or dictator's mansion. The size difference isn't big, but there's a lot more energy in a .40.

Not writing off your arguments, but they are things I've considered. The capacity difference is why I decided against getting a .40 Shield.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    13 vs 15 rounds, not a big difference in my mind for any situation not involving the storming of a drug lord's or dictator's mansion. The size difference isn't big, but there's a lot more energy in a .40.

Not writing off your arguments, but they are things I've considered. The capacity difference is why I decided against getting a .40 Shield.

Capacity is a big deal, but even more so is shootability. It is MUCH easier to get fast followup shots with a 9mm. The .40 was great back when ammo was still fairly low tech, but these days the practical ballistic differences between 9mm and .40 are negligable. That's one of the reasons many agencies are getting away from the .40 and going to 9mm. An added benefit is reduced ammo cost, meaning you can train/practice a significant amount more with 9mm. And since we all know shot placement is king...

Cliff's notes: easier to shoot + more bullets + more practice = win

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    If I squeeze off 13 rounds in a self-defense situation, I've got some issues other than a bad guy with a weapon. Just my opinion.

The rest, though, I can see, which is why I'm looking into the 23. I have a Beretta 96, I like shooting it. What I'd actually set on carrying would be determined by my level of comfort with each round, but can I have the option of both in a single gun while giving up nothing significant while shooting 9mm out of a 23 as opposed to just getting a 19?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    If I squeeze off 13 rounds in a self-defense situation, I've got some issues other than a bad guy with a weapon. Just my opinion.

The rest, though, I can see, which is why I'm looking into the 23. I have a Beretta 96, I like shooting it. What I'd actually set on carrying would be determined by my level of comfort with each round, but can I have the option of both in a single gun while giving up nothing significant while shooting 9mm out of a 23 as opposed to just getting a 19?

i used to think the same way. one day either you'll learn the hard way or you'll learn from someone who did: bad guys seldom travel alone, and often keep like company.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

It's a good way to play around at the range to see what works better for you, but a conversion setup will never be as reliable as the real deal for carry and defensive use. That's the only real "catch". All I know is I've carried .40s, and I've carried .45s, and after training (a lot) I find I'm much more effective with 9mm and it allows me to practice/train much more makes me even more effective. The fact that guys I know that are MUCH more likely to get into gunfights than I am, as it's part of their job, are comfortable with the performance of 9mm is just icing on the cake.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I was going to start another thread, but will just ask here- what's a better all around gun (as in better for everyone's hands), a m&p9 full size or glock 17?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    It's a good way to play around at the range to see what works better for you, but a conversion setup will never be as reliable as the real deal for carry and defensive use. That's the only real "catch".

That's something critical I hadn't considered. Reliability is the biggest concern for carry that I have. I know I don't need a .40, I was just considering the option. I've carried my .38 with standard pressure hollow points more than anything else and I've never been worried about my bullets not doing enough damage.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I was going to start another thread, but will just ask here- what's a better all around gun (as in better for everyone's hands), a m&p9 full size or glock 17?

Strictly speaking ergonomics, personally I feel:

Gen 4 Glock > M&P-9FS > Gen 3 Glock

But it's one of those questions that if you ask 100 people you'll get 100 different answers.

If you mean "everyone's hands" as in something anyone in the family could pick up and be more comfortable with, I actually think the Gen 4 19 is the best choice.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Strictly speaking ergonomics, personally I feel:

Gen 4 Glock > M&P-9FS > Gen 3 Glock

But it's one of those questions that if you ask 100 people you'll get 100 different answers.

If you mean "everyone's hands" as in something anyone in the family could pick up and be more comfortable with, I actually think the Gen 4 19 is the best choice.

Sorry, I was just kidding lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom