M&P Shield 40 - (500 rounds Review)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labadie

WFPD
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    BR
    I purchased the M&P Shield 40 new at a local Baton Rouge gun shop for the purpose of evaluating it as a full time CCW. My goal was to test reliability and develop a sense that I could and would handle the firearm competently even under extreme pressure. I decided that if I could run 500 rounds with little to no problems then my confidence of reliability would be initially confirmed. I also shot the pistol from a number of stances as well as moving positions as I practiced concealed draw, ready and firing position. I went through many magazine cycling and changing during live firing drills.

Ammo used: LAX reloads 300 rounds, Herters/CCI aluminum case 100 rounds and Winchester Ranger T series 180 JHP 100 rounds.

Pros: 1) 500 rounds with no FTE or FTF or any other malfunction, 2) Very accurate for me (I was slightly more consistent with the 7 round mag over the 6 round mag. I assume due to a full 4 finger grip that is possible using the 7 round mag), 3) easy to conceal and carry all day, 4) fit and finish is very good, 5) weight good for all day carry in IWB holster 6) factory sights are good but I will probably replace with night sights at some point 7) I like the trigger pull on the shield much better than on my full size M&P 40. My shield has a very clean pull, predictable break and fast reset 8) Easy to clean and maintain.

Cons: 1) Doesn’t have the adjustable grip backstrap that I have come to love on my full size M&P. 2)Not really a con but I am more accurate with the 7 round extended mag as opposed to the 6 round mag which is only an issue because I prefer carrying with the shorter 6 round mag. I currently will carry it with N82(Nate Squared) professional IWB holster. I am reading reviews on the crossbreed IWB holster and may order one and give it a try.

Quick review of the N82 holster since I mentioned it hear. 1)Very comfortable in the 4 to 4:30 position 2) Like that the gun never touches the skin 3) Like the fact that the shirt can be tucked although i can see imprint more than I would like with polo shirt other button down or stiffer shirts work fine. 4) Like the ability to cant the holster to my liking. Cons:1) Not really a con but you do have to practice the positive retention draw. I actually like the retention system but you have to practice with it in concealed position.

I am very happy with the M&P Shield 40 especially knowing the quality of ammo I fed it with no malfunctions! I will put another 500 through it in the coming weeks to increase my confidence in reliability.:rockon:

Last edited:

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Thanks for the post man. I've considered this pistol as well. I've tried several over the past 20+ years for daily carry and always go back to the same compact .40 I feel the most competent with. And for the sake of saving myself a buttload of good ol' BS elitist fallout...I'll just leave it at that.

Top Bottom