M&P9C - XDm9C Owners

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LA Trapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Natchitoches
    In your opinion, any drawbacks or anything you would like to change with these pistols? I am wrestling over purchasing a M&P 9C or the XDm 9C for concealed carry. The Smith is thinner and lighter, the Springfield has a match grade barrel that shoots good.

Not shot the Smith, lot of time with a XD9Compact. So, if possible, maybe some insight on the triggers.

I know it is personal preference but shooting one then returning it to the owner is not like carrying the loaded pistol all day.

My current CCW is a J frame Smith and a LCR.

Any thoughts?

Billy

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I am a fan of the xd platform and have a couple. I think most will agree do not let the "match grade" barrel be a deciding factor in your choice.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The "match grade barrel" is the single biggest piece of marketing hype I think I've ever seen on a pistol-- successful though it (obviously) may be. Don't for an instant be fooled into thinking that it's true, in a pistol that'll feed and extract the widest range of factory ammo you can throw at it. The two facts don't correlate. The barrels may (or may not-- I've never personally seen the process) be "fitted" (loose term there) to the slides in some fashion, but the only thing really Match Grade about them is the roll mark and sales pitch.

On top of all that-- neither pistol will be any less accurate than you are, and both MORE than qualify for self-defense/combat/duty pistols in that department. IOW, it should be a non-factor in your purchase. (Unless of course you're bothered by what amounts to false advertising, and go on principle against the XD-- a choice that I would be hard pressed to fault someone for making, personally speaking. :mamoru: )

There's about elventy-jillion threads on this board that answer your question quite thoroughly. If you want the detailed answers from the people whose opinions you should really take to heart, I suggest you search them out. I think most of us are a little worn out on the subject, TBH.

Pretty much anything said about the line of pistols themselves can be applied equally to the compact versions-- and sometimes even magnified, vis a vis the higher bore axis of the XD, to list one example. IOW, don't be too narrow in your search and you'll find better info, easier.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    A lot of guys don't like the XD platform. It was my first pistol, and I have no problem shooting them. Funny enough, when I bought my first pistol a lot of people said the M&P was an inferior pistol, well that wasn't the case, it was just a new pistol.

I don't have an XDM compact, but I do have an XDcompact and it has been flawless, but I like my M&P better.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    WELL stated.

Makes you wonder what else they're lying about too, eh?????

I mean, they all have their commercial selling points of course.

"Glock Perfection"
    M&P's steel body beneath the polymer-- "all steel to steel contact".

Over exaggeration, or over stressing the importance of something is one thing; a downright false claim is another, in my book.

AFAIK, and I do a lot of reading on the subject, there's never been a test that's outright proven the XDm to be the most accurate pistol of the three options. But they're sure marketed that way...

Mild side note-- my M&P 9 Pro with my loads shot a 1.75" group at 20+ yards, unsupported and at a 25+ degree angle to the target (which was a black strip of tape on a plain IPSC A zone), in the hands of a World Champ last Sunday... 4 of the 5 shots were clover leafed. No early unlocking for me... :D

LA Trapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Natchitoches
    Thanks guys. I have been looking at a lot of things comparing the two. They are very close.

Also looked at the Kahr MP9. I saw a lot of bad press on feed issues with the Kahr. Nice size and decent capacity, not good but decent.

I have a lot of sentimental value with the J frame, hence the purchased LCR. It is easy to conceal, light, presents quickly with my draw and I shoot it well. Wife got on me about "her" LCR so I am taking that as license to buy a semi-auto. I have several revolvers, and shoot them all well, reload etc. Just no semis.

I understand about the match grade barrel, brother in law carries one on his XD duty pistol. He had it installed. It works for him, might be mental, but it works for him. He is good with it.

I have small hands and the Glocks don't fit well. Great reliable weapons though.

Several on this sight do a lot of investigation, shooting, reading and research, just checking on opinions, seems everyone has one. Perhaps I might draw some insight from one of those opinions. Kind of like buying an auto. Not one auto is going to meet all of your needs perfectly for all you do and not one holster will meet all of your needs for every situation. However with the sharing of some information we may find the widget, car, gun etc, that may be a better fit.

kcinnick, I sent Ashley a PM. My belt is great and you are correct, very comfortable with no break in. Wonderful job.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I understand about the match grade barrel, brother in law carries one on his XD duty pistol. He had it installed. It works for him, might be mental, but it works for him. He is good with it.

If your BiL has a true Match Grade barrel (from an after market company) that's been hand fitted to his slide, and is carrying it as a duty weapon... Well, he's out of his mind. I extremely doubt this is the case, though; his duty ammo would almost certainly not chamber in it, unless he had it reamed/opened up.

If it's an XDm factory barrel that he's dropped in, that's another story.

Top Bottom