M1 Garand wisdom needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MICLIC

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Hi fellas. I have been wanting a Garand since I was a kid & when my uncle would tell me of his days in Korea. I've been studying up on them for the past year, aware of the CMP and the grades available, and see them for sale on the net and at the gun shows. 2013 will be the year I acquire one, but it will not be in the " collector " range. $900 to $1200 will be my budget. The wisdom I need is: what are the top three most important things when buying a M1 Garand in my price range? I thank you in advance for your time and help.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    1. Condition
    2. Originality (in your price range I'd be hunting for an arsenal overhaul -- I'd much rather have one that was a legitimate mix-master and maybe cosmetically imperfect than an illegitimate reassembly of 'correct' parts).
    3. Condition

If you have the time to run over to Anniston it might be worth your effort to hand select a service grade that retains an original stock and barrel... heck, in your price range you could get 2....

good hunting

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    1. Condition
    2. Originality (in your price range I'd be hunting for an arsenal overhaul -- I'd much rather have one that was a legitimate mix-master and maybe cosmetically imperfect than an illegitimate reassembly of 'correct' parts).
    3. Condition

If you have the time to run over to Anniston it might be worth your effort to hand select a service grade that retains an original stock and barrel... heck, in your price range you could get 2....

good hunting

I've heard good things about trips to Anniston. Do a search on the forum and read what is said.
    :eh:

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    The CMP website is an excellent source of information on M1's. The lockup between the trigger guard and receiver is an important factor I think i remember something about inspecting the locking pins on the trigger guard and it may have been on the CMP site. Then there are a few other major areas to be concerned with for a good rifle but can't recall. Doug Bowser posted his methods here.
    http://www.msgunowners.com/t8345-how-to-pick-out-a-cmp-garand

mineralman55

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Northshore
    It is ALWAYS worth the effort to make a trip to Anniston. Get your paperwork in order to be eligible to actually purchase a Garand. The CMP website is straight forward. You need a notary and participation in legitimate training and membership in an affiliated shooting club/group. If you go, talk to Leon at the counter. He can help you pick out what you want.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I out a new CMP stock on mine and now I can not get the trigger guard closed. I got so mad I threw the whole rifle in the trash. Then after a calmed down a day or so later i got it out but it still won't close.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    It takes some effort indeed, unless you happen to be going to a race at Talladega. I waited over a year to make the trip, but it was well worth the wait to hand pick my rifle.

Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ...$900 to $1200 will be my budget. The wisdom I need is: what are the top three most important things when buying a M1 Garand in my price range? I thank you in advance for your time and help.

1. CMP Service Grade.
    2. CMP Service Grade.
    3. CMP Service Grade.

(4. was also CMP Service Grade.)

The mail-order offerings have been better of late than the in-store stock. Sometimes they don't even have any SG's in the racks.

Suggest that you order Two (2) Service Grades, one in both SA and HRA, and see what you can correct or mix'n'match.

Then, keep one and sell the other.

The SG's have been very nice for a while now, I have Five (5) over the last few years that are all TE<1.0/ME<2.0. These are essentially new bores.

A couple came like new w/ new CMP birch stocks (asked for a matched set for my boys), another one was like new in USGI stamped walnut, one was a LEAD '69 Armory rebuild in rebuilt walnut, one was a Dane w/ a brand new VAR Bbl and USGI stamped walnut...

Keepers all.

GR

Last edited:

MICLIC

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks fellas. I appreciate all the info. Looks like it's CMP time for me. I think I am going to go with Garandimal's advice and go for two SG's and see if I can match me up a nice one.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Depends on what ya want in one.
    http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/m1garand.htm
    Do you want a gun that is a mixmaster that was 100% gone threw? they have them 100% rebuilt with new barrels and finish as well as new stock $995 RM1SPECIAL {Special Grade}
    And a Service Grade Special RM1SASSP collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. both at same cost.
    The step down is the Service grade at $625
    I would get the RM1SASSP at $995 before 2 guns to mix and match and sell one if mail ordering. If going to the store lots of times i see guys getting guns almost as good as the 995 RM1SASSP for 625 Service grades but they are hand picked.
    They used to have Correct Grade at $1150 that were one step down from the very best Collector Grades {100% but were like $1500}. I hear they still have some in store but are not available mail order as they put them out now and then. They are / were just a few marks here or there that made them not 100%
    My Correct Grade SA
    http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Garand/?albumview=slideshow

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I out a new CMP stock on mine and now I can not get the trigger guard closed. I got so mad I threw the whole rifle in the trash. Then after a calmed down a day or so later i got it out but it still won't close.
    The stock needs to be trimed a little in the trigger guard area.

Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Service Grade Specials are reparked old parts, new Criterion Bbl., and a CMP walnut stock - $995.00

Service Grades (of late) are original park (or Greek black) old parts, near new USGI Bbl., and either USGI or CMP walnut stock (no more birch) - $625.00

Ask for high Serial Number SG "Shooters" w/ good muzzles and low bore numbers.

Then spend the $370.00 difference on Three (3) cans of HXP ammo (600 rounds) and Three (3) bags (75 clips) of CMP3 clips (enough to clip-up 600 rounds).

GR

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom