M1 Garand ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    can anyone tell me if century arms would have imported springfield m1's at any time or another????? I have found an m1 and it looks at a glance in great shape, but on the left side just below thew bolt it has been engraved century arms on it !!! I'm gonna get some detailed pics and put them up tommorrow hopefully!!!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Apparently Century actually built some Garands from parts/kits. And apparently (and not surprisingly) they are junk. They used out of spec cast receivers. Stay away.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Apparently Century actually built some Garands from parts/kits. And apparently (and not surprisingly) they are junk. They used out of spec cast receivers. Stay away.

Any idea where the kits came from? I'm guessing a country that we liked enough to give guns to.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Yes; Century imported both complete Garands and parts kits that they assembled on new receivers. Look at the top of the receiver behind the rear sight. Right there, along with the serial number, you'll see the receiver's manufacturer. If it's GI, it'll say Springfield Armory, Winchester, International Harvester, or H&R Arms co. Beretta made a very few that got into NATO supply channels and they made a few more commercially-assembled as both Garands and BM59s. Springfield Armory Inc., Fed. Ord., or any other manufacturer's name on the receiver means it's commercial.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    This is only a partial list:
    All the members of NATO, Iraq (we were friendly with them for several decades) Israel, Korea, The Philippines, Taiwan, South Vietnam, Columbia, Ecuador, Bolivia, The Dominican Republic...etc.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Is there anyone between houma and lafayette that I could bring it to to see if it is a parts build or original production..I did notice that on top of the receiver it was manf. by springfield armory

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    This is only a partial list:
    All the members of NATO, Iraq (we were friendly with them for several decades) Israel, Korea, The Philippines, Taiwan, South Vietnam, Columbia, Ecuador, Bolivia, The Dominican Republic...etc.
    found this info on internet also

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    I have a century import M1. Mine evidently came from Taiwan as it has a barrel from there and the rear sight has Chinese markings. Other than that it is a mid 40's springfield armory receiver, International harvester bolt and the other internals appear to be SA as well. Furniture is in good shape but my barrel is pretty worn out at the muzzle.

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    G.I. receiver but the rest of the parts are a toss up. Can you give us a partial of the serial number under Springfield? That would narrow down the year the receiver was made. Most likely the rest are a mix of parts. Any other markings and or cartouche would be helpful.

Edit - Forgot to add that I live just up the road from you. If you ever want to give Highpower XTC Competition let me know - M1 can be used to start but you'll upgrade quickly if you stay with it. There are also a few Vintage matches held at Palo Alto and Gonzales each year where you can get some 200/300 yd shooting with it.

Last edited:

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Sorry for the delay guys.....I'm chomping at the bit for this gun..I dont have posession of it yet,but it looks like I should have it by the end of the weekend.., The M1 is part of a collection owned by a friends inlaw and the inlaw's husband passed a few years back.she doesnt know what they are worth and doesnt know what to do with them nor want them,so I offered to buy the whole collection 10 or more guns. I appreciate the info guys and will take it seriously.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    G.I. receiver but the rest of the parts are a toss up. Can you give us a partial of the serial number under Springfield? That would narrow down the year the receiver was made. Most likely the rest are a mix of parts. Any other markings and or cartouche would be helpful.

Edit - Forgot to add that I live just up the road from you. If you ever want to give Highpower XTC Competition let me know - M1 can be used to start but you'll upgrade quickly if you stay with it. There are also a few Vintage matches held at Palo Alto and Gonzales each year where you can get some 200/300 yd shooting with it.
    Been wanting to get into it for a very long time.I'll explain that to ya in person one day LCPL 4 thanks for the offer..

Top Bottom