M1 Tanker Garand

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    They are not original t26 models, the military never adopted the model and never produced them. So all of the tanker garands are conversions. How well they operate depends on who made it I guess. I think they seem pretty neat and if the rifle is functioning well for you then that is great. They don't really have the history collectors want though so people just buy them to have a neat gun.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Don't recall the actual production figures on the T-26 and I don't have access to my library now (laid up in the hosp) but I think the gun is described in Scott Duff's book. All I can remember is that the Army's short Garand is officially known as the T-26 and was a very small number of prototypes made up for testing and never ordered for production. Any "Tanker" Garand you see for sale outside a major auction house is a commercial model. One of the best is the Mini-G from Shuff's Parkerizing.

Sputnik

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I couldn't find one for a reasonable price in the BR area. Looked at one at a gun shop, $1200. The guy behind the counter gave me a very interesting story, total BS, but interesting. So, I built one myself. CMP receiver, 308 kit from Sarco, small parts in trade, Nick at Renerson's finished the chamber. Shoots great.

About yours. What markings? Dates? Manufacturer? Caliber?

jmarto1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Houma, LA
    Give me some time to get the pics. It is currently in Slidell with my brother. He's also got an old 1911 we have questions about. It was his grandfather's issued sidearm while he was in the band in Panama. We can find plenty of info on the gun, but none on ones that are nickel plated. Will update as soon as possible.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Don't recall the actual production figures on the T-26 and I don't have access to my library now (laid up in the hosp) but I think the gun is described in Scott Duff's book. All I can remember is that the Army's short Garand is officially known as the T-26 and was a very small number of prototypes made up for testing and never ordered for production. Any "Tanker" Garand you see for sale outside a major auction house is a commercial model. One of the best is the Mini-G from Shuff's Parkerizing.
    According to my copy of Scott Duff's book , the actual production figures are real sketchy . 150 of them were ordered from an ordinance unit of the 6th Army in the Phillipines . Later , 15,000 were requested from the Ordinance Dept. Who knows how many were actualy produced . Testing proved that the rifles weren't everything they were hoping for . Reliability suffered , more recoil and muzzle flash . According to Duff , anybody claiming to have an original Tanker would be hard pressed to prove it , as few survive today .

jmarto1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Houma, LA
    Alright, went out to Honey Island and shot this today and all I can say is wow! I'm an extreme novice when it comes to firearms and this gun was extremely accurate. It was as simple as picking it up, putting the sights on the target, and squeezing the trigger. One of the range masters uses a Tanker as well as several other M1's for competition. As far as we know, this one is pre 1930.

Sputnik

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    jmarto1

Your serial number puts the receiver being produced in DEC 1943. But your tanker, like mine wasn't assembled until much later. Are there any more markings? On the barrel behind the operating rod possibly?

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    ...As far as we know, this one is pre 1930.

I hope that year is a typo. Hate to think of anyone bobbing a T3. The Army designated Mr. Garand's design "M1" in 1932 and received their first order of 77 rifles in 1934. It was officially adopted in 1936.

jmarto1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Houma, LA
    Just going by what the rangemaster was telling me there. Said he had a few of the same that he used for competition. Was hoping that he would have some idea. Guess I was wrong. Still was a great weapon to fire.

Sputnik

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    M1 Tanker

Yours looks like mine.
    View attachment 9012

View attachment 9013

View attachment 9014

View attachment 9015
    Complete without the front handguard. I have not finished it since I installed the new wood. Chambered in 308. Went through about 150 rounds of South African surplus with no problems. Since the op rod spring had to be shortened I've decided to install an adjustable gas plug, not yet tested. I marked the barrel with 7.62MM, date and my initials.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom