Machete handle replacement

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I have an old Ontario Knife machete with one of the enclosed handles on it. I used this machete extensively as a kid and managed to break the outer ring enclosure portion of the handle.

It has recently come back in to my possession and I'm looking for someone that can make me a nice handle to replace the broken one (and I've always hated the thick handle with the ring enclosure). The machete is still in pretty good shape and at this point I'd like to fix it up for use again. It obviously also holds some sentimental value so replacing the handle is more important to me than just buying a new machete and I'm willing to pay the cost.

I'm really hoping someone can make something more ergonomic for my grip, a rubber/neoprene grip would be even better. I haven't had much luck searching locally or online for this. All help or leads are appreciated!

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Kinda in the same boat.
    I have a cane knife that belonged to my father but had half the handle completely broken off. I have a tall slim cypress knee picked out to cut, split and fit onto the cane knife and also I plan to blue the steel of the blade one way or another.

I had considered a couple thick shims then a set of 1911 grips but that doesn't fit this time.

Best of luck.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don't have pics to share at the moment, but I've accomplished the fix a few times with my table belt sander, the right hardwood planking and a little hardware. I also made a real sweet tanto style blade machete from an old steel framing square I had. I'd have to see how the handle is done because I'm not real clear on the "enclosed" part, but if its a full tang blade, and a set of "scales" would suffice, I could fix you up good.
    Also, 1/4 inch thick alluminum stock also makes for a nice handle once it's shaped and it'll take a lot more to break

Last edited:

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    Here are some photos of my broken handle. Looks to be secured by three pins. The top and bottom pin have a little play in them.

4yqege2u.jpg

pu8e3ezu.jpg

yjaqenep.jpg

tytaryba.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Yup, that's the old "US surplus" or one version of.
    My fix was to grind off the pins and use brass bolts and nuts recessed into some hardwood panels, tightened down and shaped on the sanding table. A little poly finish over that and it came out decent. The homemade machete was the same.
    I've spent a little time playing in a fab shop over the years making big knives and throwers and such and I always found this method to be the easiest and longer lasting way to do handles.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    You wouldn't happen to have any photos of some of your work would you?

Not handy, but I'll post as soon as I do.
    If it is to your liking, I'll be glad to fix your machete. All I can charge you is for materials IF I have to buy anything at all. And you'd have to do the to and fro. If you can get it to me and you're a patient man, we can arrange for it to get shipped back to you. I'm in Hammond

Top Bottom