Made in china - napa parts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 truck, and had a new set of tires (OEM size), a new NAPA hub bearing assembly and a new NAPA inner tie rod. This work was professionally installed by a certified ASE mechanic at a local repair shop on July 3, 2013. The new tie rod FAILED on July 29, 2013.

IMG_1274_zpsf7bd9f76.jpg

IMG_1271_zpsc4f63079.jpg

Thankfully - this happened while I was backing out of my driveway and not last weekend doing 70 MPH on the highway with my family in my truck. Failure of this part on the highway could have cost me my life, my family's lives and the lives of everyone else in my unintended path.

Vehicle was "repaired" by the local shop in the driveway and they showed up with a replacement NAPA inner tie rod. I see on the box that this part is manufactured in China. I did not want that part on my vehicle and told them they could install it for a one-time trip to the shop but then I want it changed to another brand. They obliged and found another manufacturer.

Here is the difference between the USA part (Raybestos/CarQuest) and the Made in China (NAPA) part.

IMG_1281_zpse046585f.jpg

1. Obvious that the NAPA part (top) was machined AFTER painting. What's the use of painting for corrosion protection when you machine afterwards?

2. NAPA part was machined to taper the part. The "grooves" are still in the part, not smoothed down so all the grooves act as stress concentrations.

3. Notice the difference in overall quality between the two parts!

BTW - the difference in the cost of the part? $14.

I've notified NAPA of this issue and I'm waiting for a reply. How would a recall be initiated for aftermarket car parts?? How any other parts like this are on our highways waiting to fail?:mad:

david mitchell

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    near mandeville
    Be very careful when buying any of their crap, their own construction projects will not use their high pressure fittings. The project I'm in Anchorage uses only American components. Substandard in every respect.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I always try to use parts I know, NAPA has been crap for a while now. they are trying to keep up with the big box stores. I like O'Reilly's parts usually made in America and are quality.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    NAPA has a value line made in China to compete with big box stores, and a premium line, alot of which is still made in the USA.
    Raybestos is the same..........(see link)
    http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76780
    What he said. Every auto parts store does this. Tried a few Raybestos "second line" tie rod ends and the cups/rubbers would deteriate in a few months. No more for me. Second line hub assemblies seem to be OK.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Im ok with parts made in china, as long as their shipped across the country using illigal alian drivers with there sub standard trucks

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I bet the factory gm part was not made in the USA either, either mexico or canada.
    Recalls are issued for aftermarket parts regularly..... but, they dont know who bought them so the recall is usuall just posted somewhere. I know autozone regularly has recall notices posted on their door for parts they sell.
    As said above, you probably got their value line part, they probably have a higher priced part that is better quality for the same application. Check prices on a few parts and compare stores. Napa used to always be higher (usually because they stock higher quality parts), but that is almost never the case now. They also sell cheap junk to compete with the cheap junk sold by carquest, oreily, autozone, etc.
    I hate to not support local business (napa is one of the few we have here and I consider the owner a friend) but if it is a part I can wait on for a few days, I usually order higher quality parts online for less cost.
    A couple examples:
    I wanted an upgraded clutch set for my truck, luk brand. Exact same part number thru amazon was exactly $200 cheaper than napa. Autozone is the next closest place to me and didnt offer any clutch set I would waste time with putting in my truck.
    Bought a new upgraded bosch alternator for my jeep from amazon for about half the price of a reman at napa and autozone.
    New upgraded starter for my truch much cheaper than new or reman factory style starter just a few weeks ago.
    I buy almost all my filters thru fleet filter.com. They are wix filters in napa gold boxes with napa part numbers for half the price!
    The list goes on and on. I just wished someone shipped oil and sealants for a decent price!

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I bet the factory gm part was not made in the USA either, either mexico or canada.
    Recalls are issued for aftermarket parts regularly..... but, they dont know who bought them so the recall is usuall just posted somewhere. I know autozone regularly has recall notices posted on their door for parts they sell.
    As said above, you probably got their value line part, they probably have a higher priced part that is better quality for the same application. Check prices on a few parts and compare stores. Napa used to always be higher (usually because they stock higher quality parts), but that is almost never the case now. They also sell cheap junk to compete with the cheap junk sold by carquest, oreily, autozone, etc.
    I hate to not support local business (napa is one of the few we have here and I consider the owner a friend) but if it is a part I can wait on for a few days, I usually order higher quality parts online for less cost.
    A couple examples:
    I wanted an upgraded clutch set for my truck, luk brand. Exact same part number thru amazon was exactly $200 cheaper than napa. Autozone is the next closest place to me and didnt offer any clutch set I would waste time with putting in my truck.
    Bought a new upgraded bosch alternator for my jeep from amazon for about half the price of a reman at napa and autozone.
    New upgraded starter for my truch much cheaper than new or reman factory style starter just a few weeks ago.
    I buy almost all my filters thru fleet filter.com. They are wix filters in napa gold boxes with napa part numbers for half the price!
    The list goes on and on. I just wished someone shipped oil and sealants for a decent price!

I don't have a problem with less expensive parts as long as safety is not compromised. Parts like a battery that are cheap may leave you stranded but a front end part that fails at 70 MPH leaves you DEAD!

Bullwinkle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2013
    I like O'Reilly's parts usually made in America and are quality.

I totally agree.

Many budget lines of parts for all the chains are made in China, so research the parts they offer and stay away from the cheapest stuff. Most times for just a few bucks more you get a part made in North America of higher quality and a better warranty. The Chinese crap is just that................ CRAP !!!!!!!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'm at my buddy's shop almost everyday and they talk about where parts are coming from daily. He puts some of the labels on a cabinet door just to show people.
    These parts are coming from all over the world. Sometimes it has make in USA on the box then some other country on the part. Then damn box was made here.

And that all parts from the dealers or O'Reilly's or Carquest

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    +1 for O'Reillys. I've bought Borg Warner made in the USA electrical components that were in stock for a 65 Chevy and a 51 Crosley after my mail order parts failed in the 1st 6 months.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom