Magazines...cost variance is stunning

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drmweaver2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Harahan, LA
    May be in the wrong forum... if so, move it and/or tell me where this should have gone.

Just received 6 new magazines for my S&W SD9 VE after ordering online for $30 each with shipping. I'd done a bit of research (like maybe an hour?) and saw prices for the same OEM S&W 16 round magazine ranging mostly from ~$32 to $55 not including shipping. Ran across a high of $72 for the same magazine!:o I couldn't believe it....$72 and that didn't include shipping.

I know that this "hobby", pursuit, self-defense cost, whatever isn't for money-strapped people, but $72 for a single magazine (okay, only an idiot would pay that)?:rolleyes: So, let's go with the $32 per magazine cost, still not an inexpensive cost.

I guess the question now is, can you refurbish magazines by replacing the spring? Can it be done inexpensively? Is it realistic? I assume the magazine body doesn't wear out (though I guess you could damage one by dropping it.)

I guess it's time to go research THAT on the Net now.. but figured one of you fellas might have a quick, reliable answer.:)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you haven't replaced the follower and springs in a magazine, you don't shoot enough. I only buy more magazines, because I want more magazines.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    While $30/piece for mags seems high. I'll pay that all day for magazines that function %100 of the time vs cheap out for something like promags or tapco/etc junk.

And screw Academy prices. They are stupid high on just about everything. Much better off at any local store or online shopping.

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    "I guess the question now is, can you refurbish magazines by replacing the spring? Can it be done inexpensively? Is it realistic?"

Absolutely you can.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    "I guess the question now is, can you refurbish magazines by replacing the spring? Can it be done inexpensively? Is it realistic?"

Absolutely you can.

This^^

I clean and lube my mags after every shoot. Some may call that rediculous but I call it thorough. Its really easy to take most of them down and clean only issues I have ever run across come from the my 25 round 22lr mossberg mags. Which have a real lousy reputation from the door. Replacing springs is usually pretty cheap too but if you had some obscure gun you may find it more of an issue.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    A magazine spring from Wollff's Springs cured the feeding problems of a WWII (1944) era Walther P-38 , cheaper than a new magazine and now the old war horse feeds, fires and ejects reliably. Easy to replace...I did it myself with NO problems...anybody can do it !
    Gary

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I try and keep the old ones running as god as possible, . I agree it is way to easy to pull them apart and clean replace.
    So got new stuff {springs n followers} from S&W for all my 3rd gens as they no longer make mags for. Was glad as I got the last ones they had.
    I do get new easy to get mags from TSA Knives at a good deal {bargan} but he no longer has that much to sell. I stocked up on things like real Colt 45acp / Kimber 1911 9mm ect from branded same as firearms if possible. But Metal Form is so cheap $ for stuff like 22lr Ace and they make them for Colt ect.......

Top Bottom