magazines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    how many magazines do yall carry when concealed? i have a glock 19 and im looking at getting extra magazines for the range just wondering how many should i carry when i get a permit

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Many carry 1 spare and a few carry 2 spares, normally the 17 round version. It will probably be a real fire fight with multiple attackers if you have to reload but you need to be prepared.
    Some just carry a .45 with 7 rounds and no extra rounds because they think a .45 will react like the pistols do in the movies and blow the attacker over an automobile. :)

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I tell my students they should always carry 1 (or more) spare mags when the carry. Doesn't matter what gun you carry. I get this response a lot:

"Don't you think 15 rounds will be enough???"

Actually, yes. I do think one mag worth of ammo is enough 99.99% of the time. I also think that just like everything else, mags break. On the rare chance that you've engaged the BG and you have a mag failure, not having a spare can kill you. To which I receive:

"Well how likely is THAT? I've never had a mag failure."

Statistically, you're very unlucky if you have to pull your gun in the first place. And yet, you're preparing for the chance anyway. You want to bet your life on drawing the short straw once but not twice? I'm not.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I carry a g19. Usually don't carry a spare mag but will when I decent mag holster.

When I tote my pf9, sometimes I drop a spare in my pocket.

Which route I go and weather I carry that spare depends mostly on where I'm going.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I do agree with RL

I tell my students they should always carry 1 (or more) spare mags when the carry. Doesn't matter what gun you carry. I get this response a lot:

Actually, yes. I do think one mag worth of ammo is enough 99.99% of the time. I also think that just like everything else, mags break. On the rare chance that you've engaged the BG and you have a mag failure, not having a spare can kill you. To which I receive:

Statistically, you're very unlucky if you have to pull your gun in the first place. And yet, you're preparing for the chance anyway. You want to bet your life on drawing the short straw once but not twice? I'm not.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Usually one Mag in my Front pocket. I don't have visions of huge firefights with overturned tables that are magically bullet proof picking off bad guys with sub machine guns one at a time with single shots from my pistol that never needs to be reloaded.

Most likely situation will be a single bad guy right on top of you and shooting from your hip, so knowing your gun is going to go bang the first time, every time is most important.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge

Must have been typing when I replied, I even carry an extra with 17+1 in my M&P.

I also keep an extra mag of every carry gun in my truck loaded. I always have an extra mag for my carry weapon and a back up source of ammo, besides the ammo cans of reloads in the back of my truck....

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I carry a compact-grip M&P and carry two full size mags. Right now, until I figure out something better for concealing, I carry in my back pocket. The pair of mags help keep eachother upright and from moving around.

I work in an office and am thinking about wearing a suit/sport jacket/blazer. I look better this way, but also it provides great concealment and improved accessibility over tuckable-holsters and back pocket carry.

I think two mags is pretty safe. The number of rounds should be good enough to pass the 95/99 percent (depending on which you subscribe to) rule, and it's sufficient to account for more failures than I've ever experienced in classes or training or range sessions or competition.

Come to think of it, if I have a blazer on, I would likely be able to carry a M&P full size, and not just my full size that I chopped the grip on for concealment.

I don't plan for the "average" gun fight. The "average" family has 2.1 kids, but it's important to note that no family has a tenth of a child. An average is made up of a large range of instances that may vary widely. The average of all the numbers between 1 and 1000 is 500, but that doesn't mean I should only worry about the numbers 490-510. I don't believe in preparing only for 3-7 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds. I understand it's the statistically most likely, but it's not enough to not train for 25 yard shots or more, or to not practice reloads and properly conducting them in HYPERVIOLENT DYNAMIC NONPERMISSIVE ENVIRONMENTS and **** like that.

YMMV

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I would stay away from Fobus products. You probably spent a lot for your gun. Why get the cheapest kydex holster in the world?

I carry two extra mags on my waist opposite from my gun. It helps balance out the weight of the pistol on your hip.

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA
    I would stay away from Fobus products. You probably spent a lot for your gun. Why get the cheapest kydex holster in the world?

I carry two extra mags on my waist opposite from my gun. It helps balance out the weight of the pistol on your hip.

what kind of holster and mag pouch do you use?

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I carry a compact M&P9 and a full size spare mag in an old Gerber knife pouch on my belt. Fits perfect and passes the casual glance test.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La

Teddy beat me to it.. I was going to say I wouldnt use Fobus anything.

what kind of holster and mag pouch do you use?

RM Holsters Low Rider. I have one for my G26, G19 and HK45c. Also a RM Mag pouch as well.

http://www.rmholsters.com/

Made here in Baton Rouge!

Last edited:

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    That's an awesome idea

Thanks. The pouch was for a Gerber Gator and a 17 rounder fits like a glove. Not tight enough width wide to make for a difficult draw but the Velcro flap makes it nice and snug and it won't wiggle.

e7y6ypam.jpg

uze2aqym.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom