Makers Mark Adds Water, Lowers Proof, Shocks Bourbon Lovers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    They could mix in everclear and make it stronger... then they could charge more! :)

Besides, its not like you can taste the difference once you add coke.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Wild Turkey is in Lawrenceburg and a couple of others. I see the signs when I pass thru. I'm in Danville, 25mi or so south.

Yeah Tom I remembered your Centre connection. Figured you might be looking for a relaxing day trip one day.

Last spring I had the opportunity to attend a meeting at the Buffalo Trace distillery in Frankfort, Kentucky and was introduced to Kentucky bourbon on that trip. We had a tour of the distillery and had no idea how much went to making the "correct" and consistent flavoring of the various products. Needless to say, I gained a new respect for this product and drink it on occasion. I"ve been a rum drinker forever till now..I am liking the bourbon almost as much as rum. As the Buffalo Trace folks took real good care of us, I buy their products--they make the Benchmark No.8 stuff and some others relabelled as something else--I forget. They are also now owned by the Sazerac company out of NOLA.
    I go to these types of meetings maybe twice a year in various parts of the eastern half of the US and gotta tell you that was one of the best ones ever....think that bourbon had something to do with it????....Naaah, we were all totally professional all the time:mamoru:

Yeah been there too. A LOT of free samples there. Had to let the wife drive home

On my trip to Wild Turkey, a line worker gave me a little bottle like they use on planes.

As there are obviously some bourbon connoisseurs on here - this is my current favorite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Rare Hard to find but smooth stuff.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    After reading the article, it seems as if they shot themselves in the foot. They want to expand, to cover the increase in production - but in due time are watering down their product. Although your mouth won't be able to tell, you'll still be thinking "I'm not getting $XX worth of Whiskey".

I would have just continued on track with production. Make a press release about how demand is high, and that there may be a shortage throughout the year. Most educated people understand you can't just magically make more AGED alcohol.

If they go through with a multi-zillion dollar expansion, will all of their loyal customers be around in 5-7 years to help pay for the expansion? I think most will have moved on to another brand...

pepe lepew

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Eagle Rare for the record .....

images

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I'm a Woodford Reserve guy, usually. But I have had Buffalo Trace and its not bad at all for the price. I drink makers when they don't have woodford or knob creek

There are too many other excellent "go to bourbons" to buy watered down stuff. Essentially they are raising the price watering it down. Simple economics supply/demand. Supply short /demand high raise the price. IMHO it is a bad move to taint the brand by watering it down. Premium drinkers expect premium product. Evan Williams single barrel is an excellent alternative to MM. I have been drinking that as of late.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    They are getting murdered on Facebook... everything they post leads to comments of "This picture sure is watered down!" etc. etc. etc.

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Been drinking the stuff for years. I refuse to buy the watered down ****. It is a matter of principle. You do not change your recipe to meet supply demands. By doing this, they have basically created a new product. 3% less alcohol for the same price...thats a bargain. Screw 'em.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I love Makers, I guess I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison before I pass judgement...

A blind comparison would be great. Have someone fix two glasses exactly the same and not tell you which is which.

I suspect the only way you could tell the difference is drinking it neat.
    :eh:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Dear Friends,

Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark. While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.

You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down.

So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning.

The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we'll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery.

Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special.

We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product.

As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels Bill Samuels, Jr
    Chief Operating Officer Chairman Emeritus
    rob@makersmark.com bill@makersmark.com

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Dear Friends,

Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark. While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.

You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down.

So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning.

The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we'll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery.

Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special.

We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product.

As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels Bill Samuels, Jr
    Chief Operating Officer Chairman Emeritus
    rob@makersmark.com bill@makersmark.com

This is how to correct a big mistake. Well done... Now if we can get that jack ass watering down our currency to see the light.

Top Bottom