Man shoots Police officer after non-warranted entry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • louis488

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    New Orleans
    Can a LEO shoot someone if they are trying to stab a LEO k-9? I am not being sarcastic it is a serious question. I think its a horrible thing that happened and hopefully justice will be served.

yes because the dog is a LEO but if a cop leaves his fellow LEO in a hot car and the dog dies nothing happens to the LEO

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I'm not Leo bashing, but it seems y'all are quick to say who was wrong with out all the details. I've seen lots of guys who have no business with a gun and a badge, or even in uniform period. Most rural areas don't seem to have the training needed to deal with the public at it's worst, therefore you meet some of the worst in uniform. My prayers go out to the officers family, I too hope justice is served.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Hitman, That is the problem with the news story. Is there witnesses who heard someone screaming for help, or was he there for dogs barking? A disturbance is a really broad field. If the information gathered leads you to believe someone is in danger then you can go in the house. This has to be more than just a hunch. And also we run into the unknown area of were the dogs being used as a weaPon and that's why they needed to be shot or were they just in the yard. Once again there are too many unknowns for me to say. Sometimes it's hard for me to understand people's justification for killing someone, I like my dogs but I wouldn't kill yOu over it

Yea I'm wit-cha ;)

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I'm not Leo bashing, but it seems y'all are quick to say who was wrong with out all the details. I've seen lots of guys who have no business with a gun and a badge, or even in uniform period. Most rural areas don't seem to have the training needed to deal with the public at it's worst, therefore you meet some of the worst in uniform. My prayers go out to the officers family, I too hope justice is served.

I have only read one post that does not agree with you in waiting for the facts. I did post about being on someone's property without a warrant but that is not an opinion it is fact.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    This is the only gun forum where I see daily negative posts about LEO without the facts.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    yes because the dog is a LEO but if a cop leaves his fellow LEO in a hot car and the dog dies nothing happens to the LEO

that is a bunch of bull! I know you're trying to make the point that the police are treated specail b/c you hate us for some reason but you are dead wrong. Here are a few stories I found in a matter of seconds on google where the cop is either in trouble or facing the possibility pending an investigation.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Greenville-police-dog-dies-in-hot-car-124856919.html
    http://www.dreamindemon.com/2011/06/10/police-dog-dies-after-being-left-in-hot-squad-car/
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/regional/s_741164.html

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I wasn't LEO bashing, I have seven LEOs in my family. I treat every LEO with respect and I appreciate the sacrifices they and there families make so we can have the freedoms we take for granit.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I have been in a situation where another hunter pointed a rifle at my dog, I responded and the situation difused. BUT if the guy had shot my dog I can only assume he is going to shoot me as well and react accordingly.

This is not the situation in the OP, just throwing it out there

VagabondLiberty

Intrepid Vagabond
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    LA
    Texas is the only state (as far as I know) that allows deadly force to protect property. When I moved here, I found out why; it takes an average of 25 minutes for a deputy to get to one of these houses after a 911 call.

The law in this area is quite convoluted and very open to interpretation by a D.A., but the general rule is that you do not use deadly force to protect property unless you reasonably believe your own life is in danger. There is a huge difference between "castle doctrine" and protecting "property". If someone is destroying your mailbox or stealing your car and you run out and open fire, I can guarantee it will not end up well for you, even in Texas. Most easily put, if it is replaceable and you or loved ones are not in any danger do not open fire. Your life and your freedom are more important than "property".

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    that is a bunch of bull! I know you're trying to make the point that the police are treated specail b/c you hate us for some reason but you are dead wrong. Here are a few stories I found in a matter of seconds on google where the cop is either in trouble or facing the possibility pending an investigation.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Greenville-police-dog-dies-in-hot-car-124856919.html
    http://www.dreamindemon.com/2011/06/10/police-dog-dies-after-being-left-in-hot-squad-car/
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/regional/s_741164.html
    Maybe you know the conclusion of this event. http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/heat_killed_police_dog_left_in.html

That was the most familiar in my head but I can not seem to find out if anything came of it.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    Wow,that's a great statement Mr. Russo. Let me get this straight, it is reported in the news that he responded to a disturbance, homeowner tells him to leave. Then somehow dogs are involved and the officer was told to shoot the dogs and the homeowner shoots officer to protect dog. It seems to me that from what is reported as of now the officers had a lawful right to be there due to a call for service(the disturbance), therefore there is no warrant needed. That defense goes out the window. Now we need to wait and get more details before we say the officer was lawfully killed to save the life of the dog.

a little bit of information you left out was: "The officer then proceeded to wave his gun in the man’s face." which leads me to assume (if i were in the man's shoes), the officer was about to shoot me and for the fear of my life, i would have protected myself... forget the violation of the fourth amendment or protecting the dog/property.. those are complaints that can be dealt with after-the-fact.. by the picture provided from the media, the officer probably spent more time eating junk food and sitting in the unit, than training for these types of situations.. my guess is the officer was distracted by the man, dog, being a disturbance call, stress from other calls, his sergant, etc and just lost focus of his job thus resulting in a negligant homicide by his sergant and a lethal use of force in self defence by the civilian... the officer should have just used his tazer on the dog and maced the man if needed...

Last edited:

VagabondLiberty

Intrepid Vagabond
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    LA
    No, I have never met Joe Horn. The incident did happen right by where I live. That incident also had a lot of facts that led to him being no billed by the grand jury, including one of the thieves charging Joe Horn while he was on his porch. The thing that more than likely saved him was that the criminals escalated the level of perceived violence leading him to reasonably believe he was in danger. I can tell you, however, that had one of the thieves not charged him and been the first to use perceived deadly force, I believe Mr. Horn would be in prison.

The fact still remains, the general rule is you don't go looking for trouble or it will find you and I believe life and liberty to be more important that replaceable belongings. And again, it is a very convoluted subject. I will not put my life in the hands of a grand jury and a D.A. looking to make a political career out of my case. I say that because in Texas every killing is brought before a grand jury before you are charged and any D.A. worth his salt can find a way to put your ass in prison if he feels like it.

Finally, how is Joe Horn doing these days?

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    I am little confused, hopefully someone can explain.

Let's say my neighbor has it out for me. He calls in a "disturbance" call. The police can enter my home without a warrant? :confused:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport

The officer was trespassing. He refused to listen to a reasonable demand and then assaulted the property-owner by waving his pistol in his face. What happened was legal, reasonable, and right. Just because someone puts on a badge does not mean they are not a criminal, or that they are to be trusted. He made a threat on the man's life and was killed for it in turn. It is very reasonable to think that a man waving a gun in your face and then shooting your dog that leapt to your protection would next be shooting at you. If the man was not an officer, this would not have caused a ripple at all.

Reading what his neighbor had to say, I would wager that she's the one with a screw loose. "Walks up and down the street like he owns it...so we don't associate with him?" What the heck does that mean?

On the flip side...I wasn't there. I'm just going off what I read.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom