managed(lite) recoil 308

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcs1209

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Morgan City Area
    Does anybody know where i can find some low recoil ammo in .308. My 6yr old is ready to take a big step this year from his .22, deer season is coming . I have a 308, but can't find any managed recoil. Would consider a smaller cal, but a new rifle isn't in the budget today... Besides, i'd like to see what a lighter recoil bullet can do. I'm curious.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    A step up for a 6yr old???? Really? Even low recoil stuff is probably too much out of a .308. If another rifle in a smaller caliber is not an option, then I'd look at just borrowing one from someone for your kid to shoot a deer with. You'd be MUCH better off getting a .300blk handi-rifle.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    You might want to put a disclaimer on this one. I've seen more than my share of customers who would believe it, try it, and could be royally screwed when it goes "bang"!!

Yup...been there...especially with a "youth model" ie; light-weight.
    Was not screwed, but was scope-bit...

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    WOW , first thank you for a memory from the past , my dad would pack me hunting when i was that age , what a man , my son was 8 yrs with his first deer , all factory loaded 308 s put recoil at a 243 level , more than enough for LA deer . every place i can thing of on line is out , maybe some shooters will check local stores for ya . thanks for being a shooter and taking time to take a kid hunting , its our future .

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    .308 will be hard to find because it was all bought up with the ammo scare that we just had for thr AR10's.
    the man. recoil will probably be a special run after some of the other .308 rounds are restocked .
    All the warehouses that i deal with are out.
    I do have some managed recoil 7mm-08 rounds (this is a awesome deer round) and a mossberg youth if you decide to go that route.
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?112502-Mossberg-ATR-Super-bantam-7mm-08

Last edited:

Nick1230

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Cecilia,La
    A step up for a 6yr old???? Really? Even low recoil stuff is probably too much out of a .308. If another rifle in a smaller caliber is not an option, then I'd look at just borrowing one from someone for your kid to shoot a deer with. You'd be MUCH better off getting a .300blk handi-rifle.

X10!! A young kid will pick up many bad habits shooting a gun that size, I second finding a smaller caliber rifle.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    If you reload, you can make up some light loads for him to shoot or maybe know someone that can reload for you.
    The managed recoil 308 ammunition has a 125gr SP bullet at 2700fps. You could probably get some loaded that are less powerful than this as well. Maybe a .308 150gr or 170gr FP bullet meant for a 30-30 at 2400-2500fps.

Top Bottom