Mark23

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    I’ve developed an hk addiction. Has anyone dealt with the crew served weapon known as the mark 23? Is it as big as everyone makes it out to be? Does it live up to the loyal following that it seems to have? Besides the price of it what are the pros and cons? Seems the general consensus is it’s a big weapon. Anyone know of one for sale that I can check out? Doesn’t have to be new I’m looking for a shooter but I’m not really sure how serious I am at the moment. Just putting feelers out for the moment.

shadowblade232

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 27, 2017
    New Orleans, LA
    For practicality you'd be better served by a USP Tac or HK45.

For straight cool points, go forth and conquer lol. Buddy has one we take out from time to time. It's big for what it is (especially when you compare it against peers, i.e. Glock 21) but when they say "offensive" handgun, they mean it. Could beat a man to death with it :rofl:

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    If you find one, expect to pay $2,000.

Do some research on the Mk23 before you get excited about it. It's a massive pistol.

hk5.JPG

Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    I’ve developed an hk addiction. Has anyone dealt with the crew served weapon known as the mark 23? Is it as big as everyone makes it out to be? Does it live up to the loyal following that it seems to have? Besides the price of it what are the pros and cons? Seems the general consensus is it’s a big weapon. Anyone know of one for sale that I can check out? Doesn’t have to be new I’m looking for a shooter but I’m not really sure how serious I am at the moment. Just putting feelers out for the moment.

MK23 or HK23? Vastly different HK weapons. “Crew serviced weapon” leads me to believe you mean the HK23 belt fed .308 rifle. I’ve never handled one, but they are supposed to be pretty cool. I had a mag fed PTR91 (semi auto mag fed version of the same rifle) that was pretty cool. I’ve decided I like the AR10 pattern rifles better for trigger, Regis, and modularity reasons.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    MK23 or HK23? Vastly different HK weapons. *Crew serviced weapon* leads me to believe you mean the HK23 belt fed .308 rifle. I’ve never handled one, but they are supposed to be pretty cool. I had a mag fed PTR91 (semi auto mag fed version of the same rifle) that was pretty cool. I’ve decided I like the AR10 pattern rifles better for trigger, Regis, and modularity reasons.

The Mk23 has been called a crew served weapon as a joke for a long time.

The OP could be talking about something else, but I believe he's asking about the pistol.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Though impractical, it’s a sweet shooter, and can be used as a club when your ammo runs out. I wanted one also, but decided to get a usp 45 tactical at half the price instead. Still large for its capacity but it shoots like a dream.

bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    I have the HK USP .45 and added a threaded barrel, not an MK23 but I wasn't able to find a MK23 at the time. This was like 10 years ago :chuckles: It was 800.00 at academy and I had $200 in gift cards so it was a no brainer. As far as pros an cons with the HK all I can say is they do what they are designed to do and well. When you pick this pistol up you know it was designed for war, its big and heavy which tends to help recoil. There is an o-ring that sits on the barrel on the MK23 as well as mine because of the threaded barrel, its supposed to help create a seal when shooting suppressed so I keep a few on hand in the event one needs replacing.

Last edited:

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    MK23 or HK23? Vastly different HK weapons. *Crew serviced weapon* leads me to believe you mean the HK23 belt fed .308 rifle. I’ve never handled one, but they are supposed to be pretty cool. I had a mag fed PTR91 (semi auto mag fed version of the same rifle) that was pretty cool. I’ve decided I like the AR10 pattern rifles better for trigger, Regis, and modularity reasons.

None of the above: The HK23 was a 5.56mm belt fed, the HK21 was 7.62mm, in keeping with HK's naming convention. The Mk23 was pejoratively, some say affectionately, referred to as "crew served."
    Dan, if you are a martial arms enthusiast and seek authenticity, the first year Mk23 had the same slide finish as the USGI/ SPECWAR guns. Later models used a different "environmentally friendly" finishing process. Even later models had the obnoxious internal child safety lock.
    If lack of authenticity doesn't bother you and you want a beater, recent models are cheapest. However, HK and thrifty are rarely mentioned in the same breath. The pistol is the cheap part for the purist/ martial arms collector; the real expense is in the "system components" of the "Offensive Handgun Weapon System." The Laser Aiming Module, LAM, from Insight Tech is the greatest expense (forget about finding the original Wilcox LAM, much less financing it). The Knight's Armament Company, KAC, suppressor comes in at a close second by the time the dust settles. Last is the pistol, with $1400 being fair market value for a used late model. Hell, even the intended holster runs $150-$200, for polymer!
    If you can't take the temptation and curiosity and need to shoot one, email me or PM; I will procure an authentic one for you to evaluate. I would rather see you certain that it is what you want before dropping that much money; I'd appreciate someone doing it for me. Some of the SPECWAR community and BS members may be familiar with the Don Shipley Mk23 stories and the pistol from his visit here.
    If you are a purist, every now and then USSOCOM marked USGI slides pop up, but hang on to your wallet. Occasionally they even include the proper USGI barrel. Godspeed!

Last edited:

Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    Wow,talk about an eye opener. As I said in the beginning I’m still on the fence. I have a deal worked out with a fellow member for a Hk 45t. It will be the first Hk that I’ve dealt with in a 45. I drank the VP koolaid and I’ve decided to try some other Hk products. Thanks to everyone that’s posted on this issue.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I prefer the usp t over the hk45t. I had both, the match trigger is better. The hk45t is just a hk45 with threaded barrel

Top Bottom