Marlin 60

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Any Marlin model 60 fans out there? Just cleaned my 60 today that I haven't shot in 100 years and thinking of "modifying" it....or not. This little rifle shoots and handles great without doing anything special to it. However, if you have one that's been modified, I'd like to see what you did. If all you have is stock and want to show it anyway, have at it. I do love my 60. I have a couple of 10/22s but there's something special about a Marlin that can't be duplicated.

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    I bought one a while back and I love it. I am way more accurate with it than my 10/22s. There was a thread a while back about a heavily modified model 60 with some crazy stock mods. Not my cup of tea but he did rotate the mag tube to the side which I really liked.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    I have one. I've only shot it a few times. The last round always ends up nose down into the bottom of the gun. PITA to get it out too. I have no idea how to fix it either.

But, it is a fun rifle. More accurate than me.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My uncle gave me a Glenfield Model 60 for my first gun when I was 7. Haven't shot it since I bought/built my 10/22 but I'll own it forever. Keep meaning to pull the scope off of it and go play around with it. Never shot mine for groups but its always been pretty reliable, even with cheap, bulk 22 ammo.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I honestly prefer the Tech Sights over a scope. Using the Federal bulk pack from wallyworld, I can keep 10 rounds in a group that can be covered with a penny at 25 yards.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I've got a 6-25x50 scope on mine, I've rotated the loading tube to facilitate easier loading, and did a few bits here ant there to it.
    It has well over 100k rounds thru it. I replaced all the springs a while ago in it. I have noticed that I have to keep it well oiled or it doesn't eject well. I still have to trouble shoot it at some point.

maadi47

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    zachary,la
    I have 2 stainless model 60's and 2 blued ones. even have the old glenfield model so 5 total........you could say I like them. Sold my 10/22 cause i had to customize it to shoot as well as the marlin.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    I just got my model 6079 back from my mom's best friend's house, where it had unknowingly been for the last 20 years... it's seen better days but I am glad to have it back! The stories that little rifle could tell...

automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I have a 1980 Glenfield 60. Had it since the late 80's. It was always accurate, but it would jam if you tried to shoot it quickly. I was out of the shooting game for many years and the rifle sat in the closet. When I got back into shooting about four years ago, I decided to pull it out, clean and shoot it. Still accurate but it would jam. Long story short, bc the bore was in excellent shape I rebuilt the entire action, added a synthetic stock, and tech sights. Gave it new life and it runs flawless. Friends laugh when I pull it out because I spent quite a bit more than I could have bought a new one for....but seriously, what was I suppose to do with a broken rifle? Scrapping it didn't seem right and I'm glad I didn't. This rifle would shoot rings around a 10/22 I had, so the ruger went down the road. Still got the 60! ;)

Last edited:

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    Same story here, I've had both, and still have the model 60's. That's not to say I don't like the rugers, a modded one can be really nice, but bone stock the model 60's accuracy is amazing. The 10/22s almost always have to be modded to match it.

Oh, and for those with the occasional problem with jams, the model 60 is not the easiest gun to clean properly, but if you take it all the way down and do a detailed cleaning on it, usually they will run fine.

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Other than a detailed takedown,what's the easiest alternative to cleaning a 60? I used to shoot the hell out of it back in the day. I'd spray the action with some BreakfreeCLP,dry off what I can,then clean the bore after each shooting session. Once or twice a month,depending on how much I shoot,I would bring it to the local smith for a detail strip. That was back in the day. Just found this rifle at my father's house last week and dusted it off after almost 10 years. Cleaned it,lubed it and shooting it this weekend for the first time in ages. this time around,I'm gonna learn how to strip this baby. From what I remember,this rifle was accurate and trouble free.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    If you don't want to detail strip it just hose down the internals with wd40, it will flush out most of the carbon and stuff. Carefull tho. It can soften the wood stock and damage scope glass and seals.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    I've got a 6-25x50 scope on mine, I've rotated the loading tube to facilitate easier loading, and did a few bits here ant there to it.
    It has well over 100k rounds thru it. I replaced all the springs a while ago in it. I have noticed that I have to keep it well oiled or it doesn't eject well. I still have to trouble shoot it at some point.

This is the second post recently that mentions turning the magazine tube to help loading. Is that a simple 90* twist or is there more to it than that ?
    And, if that is the case, how does that make it faster or easier ?

Top Bottom